“Could have had better service”

Hilton London Kensington
Ranked #506 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Falkirk
“Could have had better service”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This is a nice hotel in a great part of London with the tube stations only 5 mins away but as we arrived we where told at the reception that our room wasnt ready and we had to wait 2 hours for it, which we didnt let that spoil our day so we went out for lunch then when we came back at the time we where told but we where asked to wait again by the same woman who served us (who seemed quite rude) we waited 5 mins then asked another woman who sayed the room was ready. Im not one to complain I just thought the lady who served me the first time was quite ignorant. The rooms where fine to me and as we spent most of our time out anyway. There is some nice resturants close by as well, To get the internet it is expensive i think it was £15-£20 for 24 hours. Hotel food was fine and was clean i just wish the service was a bit better.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I was very sorry to learn that you experienced delays when checking in. Our standard check in time is 3pm but we do provide an early check in option for our guests, subject to availability. However, this does not excuse the way in which the matter was dealt with and you should certainly not have been spoken to in a rude manner. I have spoken to the Front of House Manager and he is carrying out further training in his department to ensure the efficiency of communication between staff and indeed the way in which we treat our guests.

I do hope to see you back at Hilton London Kensington in the future. When you do return it will be evident that this is not the way in which we treat our guests and you will be provided with a warm welcome.

Bernadette Gilligan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I booked into this hotel as it was the departure hotel for my Trafalgar Hotel. I arrived after a long haul flight from Australia and had pre booked an extra nights accommodation so I could check in straight away. I was allocated room 4087 on the fourth floor.

The bed was comfortable, room was basic however the comparision with other London Hotels I have stayed in. The bathroom shower screen was somewhat difficult to navigate if you were a larger build as half the door was fixed and only half the panel screen was moveable. Therefore if you needed to get into the shower you were required to "breathe in" until you were inside the shower cubicle, once inside the shower there was plenty of room.

I ate at the AM/PM restaurant late in the evening the staff in AM/PM restaurant and the shop were friendly and the food excellent.

The view from my room was at the back wall of another building.

Room Tip: Ask when booking if your room will be facing the back of another building
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on our hotel. I was pleased to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us recently, however I was not so pleased that you appear to have had some issues. When you next come and stay with us I would ask that you specify when making the reservation to have a room with a bath as this will provide you with a little more space. Some of our rooms only have showers and so perhaps you would be more comfortable with a bath and showerhead.

Nevertheless, I was delighted to hear that the staff treated you well and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington soon.

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel has horrible Internet service. For 14.95£ per 24 hours, was able to get a connection less than half the time and even after connected, there were frequent interruptions. The service is contracted to an outside provider, so hotel management do not get involved, It took several phone calls and a conversation with the internet provider to get connected initially . When I called about the ongoing connection problems, I was told my iPad was trying to connect to a router further away because another guest was heavily utilizing the connection in the closer router and there was nothing they could do. Apparently this guest was very busy during our entire 3 day stay as the problem continued..... Out of desperation, had to use my cell phone and was billed $321 for 18 minutes of Internet access! This is a very high price to pay due the inavalability of paid for Internet service at a Hilton hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was sorry to learn that you experienced some issues with regards to the internet. I have spoken to the maintenance manager who is currently liaising with our providers to have this rectified immediately. It is unacceptable for any of our guests to be inconvenienced in any way, especially when the service has been paid for.

I very much hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington when you will be able to have uninterrupted internet usage. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback as it is only through feedback such as yours that assist us in improving our products and services continuously.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The location is great, a 5 minute walk from holland park tube station and a local tescos on the way so no need to pay for the ridiculously priced breakfast.
Unfortunately once we checked in it all started to go downhill.
Firstly our room was on the 2nd floor which is currently being renovated so the carpets are all cut up, it stinks of sealant or paint and there are constantly work men in the corridor. Once we got to our room it was absolutely tiny, though after having stayed in Paris many times I can cope with a small room, and we had dinner reservations so didn't have time to complain and swap rooms otherwise I definitely would have because the smell from the corridor was really bad. I'm not a hotel snob, I have stayed in nicer 2* hostels while travelling.
Then the next morning we woke up to a note shoved under our door saying that the hot water was broken so wouldn't be working that morning....less than ideal. I rang reception to ask when it would be back on and as soon as I mentioned the hot water, the receptionist said 'no you wrong, hot water back on now' and hung up on me!
I tried the shower again, still no hot water, rang again, was told again that I was wrong and that the hot water is in fact back on. We left it half an hour and the water did come back on.
They also don't have prices in the coffee bar downstairs so you don't realise that the costa coffee that you normally pay £3 for, will set you back £4.75! And she got my order wrong.
The area is lovely, convenient with being on the central line, but choose one of the other hotels in the area, there's loads to choose from, this hotel isn't up to scratch.

Room Tip: If they put you on the second floor, say straight away that you don't want to stay on that floor...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I was devastated to learn that you feel our standards have slipped. I have recently taken over the role of General Manager here at Hilton London Kensington and I can assure you that I am taking your feedback very seriously. I confirm that I have had a meeting with all senior management to discuss your feedback. I apologise for the appearance of the corridor on floor 2, this was due to the recent renovation works being undertaken on our guest corridors. I am, however, pleased to confirm that the works have now been completed and we are looking quite fabulous!

With regards to not having hot water, we did have an issue with our boiler and although this was resolved within 2 hours, it does not alter the fact that you would have been inconvenienced by this. I can only apologise for this.

I do hope that you will come and stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 8 July 2012

After staying in Europe with this chain I was a bit disappointed in this particular hotel. Staff were extremely helpful, however bed had to be the most uncomfortable I experienced in 3weeks of travel. After one night we were given a change of room but not much difference.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Doreen P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with feedback on your recent stay with us. I was horrified to learn that you felt disappointed with our hotel. I confirm that we are currently awaiting a delivery of new mattresses as part of our ongoing guest improvements. I am sorry for the inconvenience which was obviously to you due to the comfort of the bed.

However, I was delighted to read that the team were extremely helpful and I have shared your feedback with them.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington in the near future.

With best wishes,