“Excellent and Professional”

20:00
Ranked #2,639 of 24,027 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 75
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Description: Bringing artistic flair to fine dining through plating, TOKii serves Japanese cuisine with a Euro-fusion twist. This Japanese fusion restaurant presents beautifully plated ingredients in a minimalist setting, allowing diners to focus on exploring the flavours on their plate. TOKii is ideally placed, just a 5-minute walk from Marble Arch Station and Hyde Park.
Reviewed 22 August 2021 via mobile

Overall, we had an excellent time at Tokii. The food was phenomenal and the service was excellent. The waitresses were highly attentive which made us feel very welcome. They’d ask for food feedback (How’s the food, would you like to order some drinks in the meantime etc) but not in an intrusive way — basically, they were very professional. Even the folks at the frontdesk (this restaurant is inside a hotel) made us feel very welcome when we arrived. They might think that it doesn’t affect customer experience that much but it really does and it gives a lasting positive impression as it surely did for us! I really rate this place :)

Over to the food side, my personal favourites were:
- Pork belly skewers (absolutely tender and tasty!!!)
- Buttermilk and sansho pepper crispy chicken (I would probably order two portions next time. Maybe they can provide some sort of dip next time for an extra twist BUT the chicken on its own is sooo delicious already)
- Tuna tartare (I really like the flavour combination and I’ve had a lot of this in other restaurants)
- Beef fillet tataki (The meat was delicious and the sauce was not overpowering at all which is a common issue with this dish in some restaurants)
- Tuna otoro (heaven)
- Matcha and clotted cream rice pudding (As a matcha lover, I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE THIS AT HOME. It was soooo delicious. It’s like a comfort food you’d eat on a rainy Sunday afternoon or something. Weirdly enough, it was the definitely my highlight for our visit!)

Only criticism:

The ceremonial grade matcha wasn’t whisked. For its price, someone who’s got good experience with Japanese cuisine would probably expect it to be whisked prior to being served. It’s a small touch but it would definitely give more justification to the price and the overall customer experience :)

Keep doing what you’re doing and keep improving, Tokii! We’ll definitely visit again :)

Date of visit: August 2021
Ray Goertz, General Manager at TOKii, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear curieusetraveller

You won't believe me but I forwarded your review on to my entire team saying this is probably the best feedback I've seen regarding our Food & Beverage in years! Verbatim.

Now I know the menus, but the way you described them gives them a new meaning, makes my mouth water.
We sincerely thank you for your wonderfully descriptive words. It makes me very proud as the leader of the team, knowing that each person you encountered and each dish you had, was a moment to remember for good.

We are actually sitting down now and discussing our Autumn/Winter menus and I said to the team I want the new menus to blow our current menus out the water. I want the Olympic Gold medal of winter menus. I'm sure the team will not disappoint. This gives you another reason to come back again soon.

If you really want to know how to make the matcha and clotted cream rice pudding, reach out to me directly through our Info email address and I would be happy to share it with you.

Thank you for bringing the matter to light regarding the matcha whisking. It is unfortunate that this happened, as we do have the whisks and it is part of the standard. On this occasion it was clearly missed and I do apologise for it. It is raised with the team regardless.

Thank you once again for such an inspiring and delightful review.

Until we meet again Curieusetraveller
All the best and Arigatou Gozaimasu
Ray Goertz

Write a reviewReviews (55)

Reviewed 16 August 2021

Excellent experience with close attention to detail, individual attention and support. The food was delicious and of very high quality, and we made enough to take some home afterwards too. Great value for money, would highly recommend!

Date of visit: August 2021

Dear happyfoodie

Thank you for highly recommending our sushi masterclass. It certainly is value for money, especially considering the quality of ingredients and the amount of sushi you get to make to even take home with you afterwards.
Thank you so much for your kind words. The chefs and I really appreciate it.

Until the next time!

Reviewed 6 August 2021 via mobile

My partner and I loved the sushi-making course with Alex. The food we made was incredible, and the sake and tea were phenomenal.

All of the staff were very welcoming, and Alex was a great teacher; very patient, knowledgeable and easy to talk to.

Date of visit: July 2021

Dear Saxbyyyyy

It's great to hear you enjoyed your sushi masterclass. They are extremely popular due to the great sushi experts we have on board and the most delectable ingredients that you can't easily find anywhere.

Hurry back for more!

Reviewed 26 July 2021 via mobile

Excellent Sushi making experience delivered by Alex - really patient and got a lot of food which was absolutely lovely!!!

Date of visit: June 2021
Ray Goertz, General Manager at TOKii, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2021

Dear Aran J,

I was thrilled to read this. Our Sushi Masterclass is so popular and with comments like this, you can see exactly why! Thank you for the special mention of Alex too.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2021

A mix, the majority 4/5 stars, but a couple of big ticket items underdelivered, which took the edge off. Expectation was high i'll admit. The tab came in at £200 for 2 with wine.
Dimly lit, atmospheric and well appointed Japanese restaurant, gave out the right aesthetic and impression. Service from the team on the night was great; friendly, attentive and efficient.
Menu choices; When good, it was really good, definitely worth 4+ stars.
The really good:
Beef fillet tataki - delicate, full of flavour, beautifully presented.
Pork Belly skewer - beautifully cooked and a perfect piece of pork belly, don't think I've had nicer.
Buttermilk and sansho pepper crispy chicken. Errr, give me 2 portions of this for a main and I'd be happy!
Miso soup was tasty and the salmon and Sea Bream sashimi also lovely.
Mushroom tempura was a surprising hit.
The chocolate fondant was the bomb! warm, rich, sticky, lovely.
Spearkling sake - the menu blurb undersold it.
The not so good;
The Sea Bass sashimi was a bit tough and didn't have a lot of flavour - probably not the chef's fault but a bit disappointing
Wagyu - we went for the Westholme Wagyu admittedly, but it was underwhelming. No better than a good sirloin and I would take a rare fillet over that any day of the week. A learn for me probably. Possibly again not the chef's fault but didn't have much depth and what should have been a highlight underdelivered.
Vanilla cheesecake - lacking flavour. Ok, but Gu do a better one in the supermarket.
Overall we really enjoyed our evening - and difficult to criticise on the misses as cheesecake apart could have just been a slightly average side of beef/fish.
The team were great overall and we enjoyed our night.

Date of visit: July 2021

Dear Marc B,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m so happy that you appreciated the atmosphere and sumptuous surroundings of our lovely restaurant and that you felt very well looked after. The way you describe our dishes is simply wonderful. I can tell just how much you enjoyed them! I am sorry to see that you were disappointed with some of the dishes and will certainly share these comments with Chef. We source our fish directly from Japan and the quality is exceptional. It is disappointing that this and the wagyu were not of your standard but we 100% take this on board.

We very much appreciate your custom and hope to see you again in the future.

With thanks