DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London
GreenLeadersGold level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

This property was part of the well-respected and well-reviewed Mint Hotel Chain, purchased by the Blackstone Group and converted to one of the Hilton brands a few months back.

The location is terrific, just three minutes walking to the tube, and a five-minute walk to the iconic Tower of London, a must-see for everyone. The front desk at check in was excellent; the concierge service was most accommodating in assisting with theatre reservations and restaurant reservations.

The room, however, was very small (I know this is common in London). There was not good lighting for a woman to put on her make-up, any where in the room. The closet was really a cupboard, with a safe on the floor. There was no place to put shoes, and a man's pants were hard to hang without crumpling on top of the safe. There is no place to store your luggage except on the floor. If the beds had been designed with a 15" high frame, one could scoot the suitcases under the bed. Truly, there is more effiecient storage space in a standard cabin on a cruise ship, and thise rooms have less square footage.

Restaurant service was spotty - some of the breakfast servers never cast their eyes upon their tables, and we had to flag down servers for our first cup of coffee and any refills. The breakfast buffet was extensive and tasty, and the one night (out of four) that we had dinner in the hotel was good, the service was good, but the portions were small. There are several other locations within walking distance for dinner, and we explored those with great success.

Housekeeping seems to believe in leaving vacuums and bags of trash in the hallways overnight, rathering than hauling them away or storing them in a maid's closet. We saw this every night in the hotel. One morning, we departed the hotel at 10:30am and returned at 3:30pm to find that our room had not been serviced. I called the housekeeping department, and was assured someone would be right up. Thirty minutes later, no one had arrived. I finally found a maid in the hallway and asked her to please service our room. She said she would be there as soon as she finished another room. It was almost 5pm before our room was cleaned.

Check out was a big problem. We were charged twice for the one dinner we had in the restaurant, charged for a room service breakfast which we never had, since all breakfasts were eaten in the hotel restaurant. This took 25 minutes and repeating the same thing over and over before the front desk made an adjustment. I finally asked him to produce the charges with our signature and room number, which he could not do. Then he made the adjustment.

You can't argue about the convenient location of this property, but they have a way to go with training and the staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wirral, Merseyside
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Bad points - The rudest receptionist ever encountered – she insisted that the rate I had booked under did not include breakfast, even though it was Hilton’s best available “bed and breakfast rate” – I received a bill after I checked out for the breakfast I rang to complain – the same receptionist answered my call, I was assured of a refund as I now had the print out of the conditions of my booking and no apology or even a goodbye just the phone put down on me. One month later and I am still awaiting my refund….I am now having to spend the effort and time to put it all in writing.
The Atrium Suite was a waste of an upgrade the lounge couch was rock hard with no support for your head, and the bathroom tiny with a bath only a child could fit into and the door scraped the bed when entering or leaving from the bedroom.
Good points, Sky Lounge Bar, brilliant views, all other members of staff, and very close to the underground and London Tower.
I am now moving away from Hilton Hotels, we are returning to London in September but will not be giving our business to Hilton, nor did we book Hilton for our Poland trip in a few weeks time.

Room Tip: Atrium Suite bathrooms very small and lounge furntiure has no head support is very hard, so save you...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hellofalady
AmyTregidgo, Guest Relations Executive at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear 'hellofalady'

Thank you for your feedback and I sincerely apologise for there being confusion with regards to breakfast charges and for if any members of staff had come across in this way.

Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel, where should you feel inclined please ask to speak with me directly. I can certainly assist in ensuring a refund is made and for additional follow up to be done regarding how this had occurred. I apologise however that it has come to this and that your issues appear to remain un-resolved, as this is not a true reflection of how all of our team wish to approach customer service at the hotel.

Thank you for mentioning you had found all other staff members to be pleasant, however we remain sincerely sorry for this experience and for how you have felt reluctant to return to the Hilton brand.

I remain at your disposal for any assistance I can provide,

Yours sincerely

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012 via mobile

I had the King City Suite with our 4 year old. The hotel was very obliging to add an extra bed for us that was very comfortable. The original king sized bed was far too hard for my husband and I and the hotel was very patient in switching us mattresses till it was right for us. Collectively they have done it twice which was a lot of work. The suite was huge like an apartment with everything but a Kitchenette. It was great having the 2 iMacs in the suite plus a large tv with a sound system, DVD player and apple tv! The space was amazing for my 8 day stay. Free cookies given out in the evening made it sweet.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear 'Celestineann'

Thank you for choosing to book our King City suite for this stay with your 4 year old, it is wonderful to hear staff had taken the time to ensure you were happy with the mattress, thank you for paying mention to this.

Aiming for guests to feel that 'home away from home' environment when travelling is very important to us and we hope the various applications available in your suite added to this.

I hope you will think of us the next time you plan to come to London!

Kind regards

Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Visited London for the weekend with my partner for her birthday. We booked this hotel due to its location, fair price and previous reviews that I had read on Trip Advisor. We arrived early at 9am to drop our bags off, we were quickly seen to and we were on our way. Check in at 3pm was smooth and quick. Our bags were brought up to us by a member from guest services. A card, a small, well presented bag of macaroons and a botte of wine arrived at our room shortly after for my partners birthday. The sky lounge offers excellent views, unlucky for us it was raining but there is a indoor area where the bar is. They offer a good selection of cocktails, wines and bottled beers. An exceent experience and I will be staying there again.

Room Tip: The 10th floor facing the south side offers great views over the Tower Of London and Tower Bridge. S...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank saspin17
AmyTregidgo, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear 'saspin17'

Thank you for choosing to stay at the hotel as part of your partner's Birthday celebrations. I'm delighted our team added some other extra touches, such as wine and freshly made macaroons as an additional special treat!

Such a shame the weather hadn’t been better, though we hope the cocktails in Skylounge helped to make up for this!

I'm thrilled to hear you will look to stay with us again, we look forward to welcoming you.

Kindest regards
norwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights for a weekend break in London. The hotel is really close to Tower Hill tube station which makes it easy to drop off all those shopping bags. Check in was easy and you were given cookies on your arrival. Must better than a welcome drink! Rooms are of a good size and I liked having the Apple Mac PC/TV in your room, with free internet access. Breakfast is good with a wide choice of food. I have stayed here before and will definately come back when visiting London again. If you get a chance visit the Sky Lounge bar. Drinks are a little bit pricey but it was worth it!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends