“Confused, by Hilton?”

GreenLeadersGold level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Confused, by Hilton?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Considering that this is a Hilton brand hotel, we left feeling a little confused by the experience...

We stopped for two nights on a weekend in June 2012, having had a mini break to London, partly to go to the Ledbury in Notting Hill for a bit of an indulgent treat, but also as we randomly got tickets to the Radio 1 Hackney weekend! (I think we were the only people to ever leave a Hilton hotel dressed in Wellies!)

The location is perfect, right by a tube station so easy to get to. The hotel itself is really well presented, modern and has an amazing glass ceiling in the central reception point which acts to brighten the whole entrance up and give it a courtyard feel... interestingly even more exciting when it's raining (as it was when we arrived) so you can smugly feel "haha beat you evil rain of doom" ahem.... anyway....

The rooms were well presented, spacious, modern and Apple TV is a nice touch, even though I'm not a mega apple fan boy (he says writing this review on an iPad... lol) Bathrooms don't normally get a mention but this small but perfectly formed bathroom with a really strong power shower was a delight in the morning (...and evening post Radio 1 festival mandatory grime...!) the only gripe I could say is that the double bed had been made up by combining two fairly hard and slightly less comfortable single beds, when comparing beds to other DoubleTree Hiltons that I've stayed in. Still, we slept well though.

Now here comes the odd part... service was always complete with a smile which was absolutely fantastic, however there are only so many times you can stand a smile when the actual products of that service don't quite go so well. For instance, only being given one (all-be-it delicious) welcome cookie when there were two of you checking in, being cheerily told you had to pay for breakfast even though your booking confirmation clearly says breakfast included, which neatly brings me onto breakfast....

On both days, breakfast was a total disaster! I know it was a weekend, but it felt like we had entered breakfast on the titanic as you had a constant sinking feeling the longer you endured the experience! Service remained with a smile, but everything else was total chaos. You had to queue for about 5 to 10 minutes for hot food, which (although being mildly funny) resulted in our table being cleared away upon return and having to re-request coffee, cutlery and so on, and then having to go up and queue again in the toast line... To top it off, the food quality was quite poor for a DoubleTree, actually I think Premier Inns are better (sorry DoubleTree). All of this led to a a stressful feeling which almost resembled a mild heart attack... So as (or more likely, if) you finish your breakfast and your stay here, you may leave being carted off in an ambulance... but at least as the customer service is so nice, you would be left with kind words of "thanks for staying and come back soon" as the ambulance door closed on you... (sorry, I say this tongue in cheek, but seriously I've never experienced such a comical breakfast experience).

On the whole, this is a nice, stylish and comfortable hotel with very friendly staff, but I think I'm more likely to book with the Hilton Towerbridge down the road next time, as the experience there was comparably a lot better.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DexterBites
, Guest Relations Executive at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear 'DexterBites'

Thank you for offering us a detailed summary of this stay, we appreciate you taking the time to offer us your feedback and paying mention to several areas of the hotel.

Many love to see our glass atrium roof when walking into reception, its quite a feature and I'm pleased you had found this to be a nice touch to our lobby (even if there will be the odd rain drop!).

I'm so sorry you had only got to enjoy 1 of our DoubleTree signature chocolate chip cookies between you, as you should have indeed been given 1 cookie each. Perhaps there had been a wait for cookies to be ready or staff had assumed you wanted to share one, however again we would always normally offer 1 cookie per person. our apologies for any disappointment caused, we're pleased you liked them!

It cannot be denied breakfast can become very busy in the restaurant however I'm sorry this had led to a feeling of unease, which is not at all our intention and we sincerely apologise. There has been changes made to the setup of our breakfast area, which we are sure will greatly improve our guest's breakfast experience as a whole however I am sorry you had not come to witness this during your stay.

We very much hope you can reconsider returning to the hotel and if our teams and I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Sincerely
Amy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

londonier so far...but still keep the american touch.

this was the my second staying, and probably there will be another one.

Staff on the spot, very Hilton standart (sounds always good).

Tower Hill tube at 3 stonethrows...really nice environment.

WIFI free makes life easier.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danywrap
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

The 1 star is lost for 2 things: The breakfast, which was lovely but could've been better - you had only 1 choice of eggs unless you asked, which wasn't advertised, and the rest of the stuff was a little cold and lacking in options. The hotel bar closed at midnight, although the upstairs bar (open to all and with loud music) was open til 1am. For guests who just want to have a quiet drink before bed, it's not great.

The 4 stars are for everything else - really nice friendly staff who are really helpful, spotless rooms that are well turned out with everything you need (tea & coffee are in a drawer), nice TV & computer setup (internet via TV, digital radio, etc), good toiletries without using loads of wasteful packaging, bathrobes, nice towels, etc. The location is brilliant too - right beside the tube and just near the river boat, plus lots of buses. And right beside Tower Bridge and the castle.

I would say the best thing about the hotel is the friendly staff and the cleanliness, it makes such a difference to your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the bridge (not sure if they exist but it's the only one you'd wa...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Double Tree Tower of London is your standard business hotel, located quite conveniently near the Tower of London which makes it walking distance from most offices located in the City. The check in and out process was pretty smooth with minimal waiting. The hotel has tied up with a cab company and you can book a taxi to Heathrow for 75 GBP which is well below what it will cost you if you hailed a passing black cab. The rooms are comfortable, if somewhat small (certainly the one that I stayed in was) but are tended to properly.

Whilst the hotel has its standard compliment of restaurants and bars, there are several others in the vicinity just outside the hotel giving you a wide variety of choices. I love London for its ales and you will get plenty of choices in the pubs that abound in the area. The Sky Lounge on the rooftop is quite superbly set up and the seating area in the open on the roof would be quite nice when the weather is nice (which isnt very frequent in London). The all day in room dining menu tends to be on the limited side and I got into a situation where I got late getting back from office and kitchens in all the restaurants in the area had closed by 10 PM - I was left to forage in the mini bar since I didnt fancy anything from the 24 hour menu. They also offer a complimentary gym which is well equipped and open till pretty late, though there are no instructors so be careful before hefting those heavy weights!

In all, recommended if you are the typical business traveller working in the City.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Maybe this is based upon how busy the hotel was but I was not at all impressed by the service of the frount desk.

We stayed during the River boat pagent so the hotel was really really busy for check in. We tried to check in at 1 but were told no rooms were available. The couple across from us were shown to there room straight away so didnt appreciate that for a start. The assisant who checked us in was not very interested in checking us in again not a good impression.

We left and came back after the pagent to checkin. At checkin I asked for a room with an external view. The checkin assitant said he assigned us a room facing the gurkin. We went to the room and open the door and noticed it was infact an internal room. I went back down explained the situation and I was assigned a another room which again I was told would be external facing. Well to my horror again I was assigned an internal room. At this stage I was a bit annoyed that the checkin assistants obviously didnt know the layout of the rooms at the hotel. After my third attempt a grumpy assistant checked me into an external room near the elevator. Again wasnt impressed. The rooms are still well kept and nice and modern with a comfortable bed but sadly for me the service was severly lacking. Used to be one of my favourite hotels in london but worried that Hilton are starting to make it like the Hilton norm, bland , boring and samey like most of their hotels. I hope not, the hotel was special when it was run by mint always good service with a smile and caring attitude.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple