“You must upgrade to the largest Room”
Review of The Rembrandt

The Rembrandt
Ranked #233 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Manchester
“You must upgrade to the largest Room”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Great place to visit, I was not expecting much from this hotel due to the cheap price, I even called prior to my arrival and requested an upgrade to the best room they have (this was only £40 per night, far less than on laterooms and other sites), so I took the upgrade option and I am very glad I did. The other rooms in the hotel were not up to standard, and the best rooms were just about pleasant.

I was pleasantly surprised with their customer service, the location is excellent if you really want to see the best part of London (West and South-West). I was also impressed that they had halal chicken here so made life alot more enjoyable. Will definitely visit again, it doesn't feel like a modern hotel, but home away from home is very busy city.

Room Tip: book a basic room and upgrade over the phone - MUSLIMS - Halal Chicken Room Service
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fawaad
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Southampton, England
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed for 3 days in the week before the Olympics. After weeks of wet cold weather it happened to be sunny with the temperature in the high 20s - and this hotel really couldnt cope!

My room (530) was stiffling and unpleasant to return to. The window opened on to a smelly dirty stairwell (photo uploaded) and was useless for providing ventilation. There was an old secondary air conditioning unit which helped very little. I guess by putting my face 15cm directly over it I could detect some cold air but that was it.

The room was laughingly called "executive" - there was nothing "executive" about it apart from the fact it was somewhat bigger than the non-executive rooms; unfortunately bigger also meant the aircon was less likely to help.

I didnt think these out of date dinosaurs of a hotel still existed. Excessive carpets, now showing wear. General air of shabbiness. No need to use the spa next door: if you want a sauna just ride the lifts.

The only positive points were the location and the breakfast down stairs. Also this hotel was available with substantial discount via Late Rooms - even so I still felt I was paying too much.

All in all an ordeal.

Room Tip: See the room first! I'm guessing there might be better ones than I had.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Freud1970
Folkestone
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed here in early May and again in June, we like to go to the Royal Albert Hall classical concerts so the position is ideal in every way.
Bedrooms and bathrooms well appointed and good size, nice and quiet in an excellent area near Harrods,Museums, South Ken tube station so lots to do and you can walk everywhere once you have checked in.
V Good snack menu in lounge/bar, prices v reasonable and good wine list, staff excellent and so helpful.
Everywhere spotlessly clean, ladies powder room amazing!
Breakfast just a bit chaotic at times but this is a tourist hotel so people not really rushing anywhere and very mixed age groups.
You can pay a lot more in the west end of London and get a lot less, this hotel is not prententious just v professional and good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, overlooks a quiet side street.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ladiesthatlunch3
NY
Reviewed 27 July 2012

The room isn't huge however it was far larger than I expected. The two of us had more than enough space with our luggage for a weeks stay. Beds were comfortable, rooms were clean. We experienced no noise issues. Our rooms were in the back overlooking an interior set of buildings.

The morning breakfast is positively immense. it's more than enough to tide you over until dinner. You'll need a snack midday but nothing major. The South Kensington Tube is a pleasant four block walk with lots of lovely restaurants in that area.

I would stay here again in a moment.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LauraBC29
Dublin
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I stayed here for one night recently and have to admit I am kind of ambivalent about the place. The lady who checked me in was unfriendly to an extreme and no-one offered to bring my suitcase to my room even though I was travelling alone. The service at breakfast was so so; I had to ask one of the many servers who kept walking past my table to bring some coffee. I asked for a taxi when I was checking out but the person on the desk mumbled something about turning the light on. I didn't quite catch it and he didn't make an effort to ensure I understood so I waited at the front door until a taxi arrived.

Maybe my expectations were quite high because if I stay in a 4* hotel in Knightsbridge then I expect a certain level of service especially if I pay Knightsbridge prices. It just didn't seem like a 4* hotel.

On the plus side the room was nice and fully equipped. The bathroom had a robe and slippers which is a nice touch. The selection at the buffet breakfast was vast and it would be very possible to eat enough to keep you going for the day.

Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo