“Average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #864 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

There are good things and bad things about this hotel.
Good: reasonably priced
Good access to Queensway and Lancaster Tube stations and just opposite Hyde Park.
If you love walking you will be amazed what you can get to via the park...we walked to Harrods and then down to Buckingham Palace.saved money on tube fares and the park is lovely.
Bad things:
the unfriendly staff. Trying to be professional they just come across as rude.
The first day on check in, we were ignored by 2 possibly Polish receptionists who were chatting amongst themselves and they had called over by another receptionist who was busy serving.
Not one staff member we met was English.
The rudest was possibly the manager who was busy berating staff when we walked to the concierge desk and they all ignored me until I cleared my throat.
There is no air conditioning on the upper floors and it was stifling in the TINY rooms. It was not even warm in London so DON'T COME IN HOT WEATHER! you have to open the windows wide and it is very noisy.
All in all, I'm not complaining about the tiny rooms or the lack of air con, you pay for whatbyou get and it was very reasonably priced.
But I DO object to staff who can't even crack a smile and come across as very rude.

Room Tip: In think maybe the lowest floor has air conditioning We were on the 5th floor, there is none.be warn...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lisa M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

Find it ridiculous to pay GBP 7.00 for WIFI. This should be standard service these days.
Quality of the (Continental) breakfast could be improved, croissants and the bit of salty butter.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Encinitas, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

Prior to checking into the hotel, I Googled the hotel to get the address. I found a very recent review that reported beg bugs. I tried to cancel my pre-paid reservation based on this info, but the hotel manager wouldn't budge. So I gave it a shot. HUGE MISTAKE.

Within two hours of being in my room, I had been bitten a number of times. I began searching for new hotels online and while doing so, was bit so badly that it drew blood. When I went to scratch, the bug was still there, so I killed it and saved it. The rest of the evening was an absolute sleep-free nightmare, but it was 3 a.m. and I had no other options.

I booked another hotel and in the morning produced the bug for the manger which I kept on the hotel key card. I also showed two cell phone pics I took of my bleeding back, which had been ravaged with bites. Weakly offering another room, which I declined, the manager refunded me for the remainder of the nights of my stay (but I had to pay for my night of bed bug terror).

What else can I say? The hotel is centrally-located, which is the only bonus I can conceive.

Internet is not free, but pricey and none too fast. I asked for a higher room, as other reviews reported bad noise. They denied this request and put me on the second floor. Although the hotel is on a side street, it is still terribly noisy.

The walls were scuffed, the whole room stank like a family of cats lived there, and the shower was filthy. Oh, if you wanted soap, it came in impossible-to-open packets that you had to tear open in order to get a teaspoon full of gel.

The staff was grumpy and said virtually anything to get me to just get out of their hair at check-in. A horrible experience.

Avoid this hotel at all costs. If you have any doubts, read all the other reviews of this property.

Room Tip: If you absolutely have to stay here, get a room on the upper floor to avoid street noise. Also, pull...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Joe D

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Port Pirie, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

This is a clean and tidy, no frills hotel just off Bayswater Road (major bus route) and very close to Queensway underground station on the Central line. Close to parks and the major shopping area of Oxford Street. The rooms are small and do not offer free WiFi. I simply purchased a SIM for a fraction of the hotel Internet charge. There is a great budget buffet breakfast restaurant close by (pizza by day) and plenty of reasonable eating places in the area. Tesco and Sainsbury also offer meal options. Coffee and tea is available in the rooms and the bathroom, although small, is clean, well provisioned and modern, spoiled only by the small towels. There is a safe and cooler that masquerades as a fridge. Don't rely on it to keep anything cold. The small flat screen satellite TV has a good range of channels. Spent three days there and failed to get a greeting or smile out of reception - so don't expect to feel particularly welcome. The housekeeping was very good and the room was serviced daily. In summary - this is a good place to sleep if you are planning a busy schedule of business or sightseeing every day. Not a place to spend your leisure time otherwise.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ratfink
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Great service. We could leave our luggage in the room while it wasn't ready for our
check in. 10.00 a.m.

Rooms small, old but clean. Great location next to Hyde Park. Tube really close.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends