“Great place for Spanish speakers but too small to swing a cat in”
Review of Henry VIII Hotel

Henry VIII Hotel
Ranked #872 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 May 2012

As far as location goes, this is about a 5 minute walk from Queensway & Bayswater tube stations. So far so good. There's 24 hour reception and the staff are mostly if not all Spanish (or Spanish speakers). All signs were in English & Spanish. The service was generally good and the breakfast was average continental (I believe British breakfast was extra). My main criticisms of the hotel are: 1) it's expensive for what it is but then again this is London & I did book last minute, 2) they advertise satellite tv but all I got were the 5 terrestrial UK channels Sky News, a French, a Spanish and Italian channel & 3) the room was tiny, really too small to swing a cat in, with bigger luggage this would have been a real struggle... Okay but would not chose to stay here again.

Stayed: April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

nice hotel situated near the tube and Hyde Park, swimming pool and sauna appreciated though 'out of service' as from the 2nd day :(..
very nice breakfast with a lot of different things to eat, especially appreciated the cakes. Nice staff, offered us 2 (small) single rooms instead of 1 double with twin beds, and served us easily in the bar even though we were the only guests there quite late!

Room Tip: Not near the downtown so not ideal for a first time visit in London
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ulaxir
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I have read so many different feedbacks from this hotel before arriving and I have to say that my experience was fantastic.
Upon arrival the receptionists were really warm and helpful, it was too early to check in but we could store our bags in the luggage room with no extra cost and enjoy the day in London.

Shops and restaurants are really close to the hotel and the location is perfect to the city centre by bus or underground as there are 2 stations within 5 minutes walk.

Our room 214 was facing the back of the hotel but we were really cozy there, no noise from trains as I read before. We had everything we needed for the 4 days: Clean, comfortable bed, bathroom with everything you need, exterior window , kettle with coffee or tea in the room, internet free...Breakfast is good and complete, so many options...and you can repeat as many times as you wish. I even tried the swimming pool on the second evening and I must say is a plus that change your day!!!

The staff was amazing really helpful and pleasant in all departments.

I will definitely come back to this hotel, it make the visit to London perfect!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EdinburghCathy
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We booked this hotel as we were getting married in London and this was in a good location in a nice area of London. When we booked our room, we also booked 2 other rooms and then further guests booked rooms at a later date. We informed the hotel that we were a wedding party on the initial booking and also in all other communication we had with them. We then travelled to London and visited the hotel to make sure the rooms were of an adequate size for the bridal party to get ready in. We were shown a room on the 1st floor which was fairly large and had enough space. We asked for a room similar to this on for our stay and reception said this would be fine.

When we arrived on the day of our stay and given our room key which was the 4th floor we were flabbergasted at the size of the room - you couldn't walk around the bed let alone put on a wedding dress!!! After picking up the wedding flowers we realised that we couldn't fit them into the tiny room - so complained at reception. We were told that they were fully booked and nothing could be done. After we explained the above and continued to complain we were finally given a very good sized room which had plenty of space and a large bathroom. A lot better! But also a lot of extra stress which was not really needed!! Our room was rather noisy in the morning we could hear what I assume to be the cleaning staff banging doors really early. The shower was very good, but I think the hotel entertainment could do with an upgrade!

Breakfast was ok. We didn't use the pool but had a look at it and it’s appeared to be quiet small. I think there is lack of communication between the staff. When we got home from our honeymoon we had received an email from the hotel accusing us of not paying for our room (which was paid on check out and confirmed with a receipt) when we called the hotel they had no idea what we were talking about and were really unhelpful!!! To be honest I would definitely not stay here again and would rather stay in a Travelodge as you get a lot more space for a fraction of the price!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kelly815
Reviewed 6 April 2012

great location,walking distance to the tube and park.Poor breakfast.Not very clean.Staff is ok..they try to be helpful but would not enough.I had a very strange experience never had before anywhere in the world.I came to my room around 1030pm I realised that there's no water in the room.Water from the tab smells bad thus I dıdnt want to drınk from.I go down to lobby to have some water from the dispenser they put in the middle of lobby.It was empty.Ask to the receptionist where I can get some water.You know what!!!!!!!! he answers me I am sorry we dont have any water.Thought he was joking but he was not.Dont know he ambarrassed or not but he try to explain me where the nearest shop is that I can buy water.I went there but the shop was closed.I came back to hotel ask them to send a taxi to get some water for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business