“Handy alternative to the nearby Hilton”

Park Lane Mews Hotel
Ranked #747 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This hotel is at the back of the London Hilton in Park Lane and is a lower cost alternative for anyone who does not need the full range of services that the large 5 star chains can provide. The hotel's main attraction is its location and its lower room charge rates. Don't expect to stay in the best appointed of rooms but this hotel's rooms are comfortable enough and are fine for relatively short stays.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Park Lane Mews Hotel

Reviewed 13 March 2012

My wife and I and two friends stayed for two nights at the Park Lane Mews Hotel as part of a theatre weekend package. Having read earlier reviews I was rather uneasy at the prospect of staying here. I should not have been. On arriving at the hotel we received a warm welcome at reception and an offer to help with our luggage. Our rooms were comfortable, warm and clean and overlooked the mews to the rear of the hotel. And so it was quiet. For me the size of the room was adequate, the beds were extremely comfortable (firm matresses, which both my wife and I prefer), the room had a flat screen TV, a hairdryer, a trouser press and tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was plenty big enough (room 202) and furnished with toiletries and delightfully thick, fluffy towels.
A hearty breakfast was served in the very comfortable restaurant. Although buffet style the cooked food included sausages, bacon, scrambled and fried eggs, hash browns, mushrooms and baked beans. You made your own toast. The waiting staff were friendly and attentive and served tea or coffee at table.
The location of the Park Lane Mews hotel is perfect for Hyde Park, Park Lane and the area known as Shepherd's Market, which is like a cosy village in the heart of London. It has many fine restaurants, pubs and boutique shops. You should pay a visit to The Shepherds Tavern, a delightful London pub. You will also enjoy the cosy and very friendly atmosphere at The Little Square restaurant at No. 3 Shepherd market. It also happens to serve great food.
Like any review this is a snapshot. It reflects my experience and opinion of a two night stay. My wife, my friends and I thoroughly enjoyed our time here. The staff were helpful and friendly, the rooms were comfortable and clean, the breakfast suited all tastes and the location is perfect.
One final point. We managed to leave a shopping bag in our room on departure and only realised when we arrived by taxi at Victoria station. I 'phoned the hotel to say that I needed to return to collect the bag in question and had to taxi back to the hotel. One of the receptionists was waiting outside the hotel entrance, with my bag and a smile. A nice touch that completed a perfect weekend.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the mews at the rear will be quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mike4627
GMTophams, Manager at Park Lane Mews Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay at the Park Lane Mews Hotel. Your comments and feedback are much appreciated by all members of our Team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

kind regards

The Management

Reviewed 3 March 2012

After having read the reviews on trip advisor I was not really optimistic about this hotel, but my employer had booked it for me, so it was not really something I had choosed myself.

The location is good as it is about 10-15 minutes walk to Piccadelly Circus, and also just a few steps from Hyde Park. It is next to Shepards market where you find restaurants and some typical English pubs.

The hotel is in a backstreet, and looks nice from the outside and also the reception area was also OK. Check in was quick, and I was given a "deluxe" room. I took the tiny elevator to the 5 floor. The room was big enough for the 2 nights, the bathroom really small. The room was basically clean, but there were stains on the carpet that probably is impossible to get rid of without replacing it. Also the grouting of the bathroom tiles was really worn and needs an update. The remote control to the TV could have benefited from a good scrubbing... Yuck!

The temperature in the room was perfect, so no need to turn on the portable oil heater that was available.Bed was good, slept well as the room also turned towards the backyard I heard no noise from outside. Not very good soundproofing inside the hotel, so could hear the guests in the next door room, but thankfully they also went to bed at a decent hour.

TV had very few channels, less than 10 I guess. The free WI-FI worked perfectly in my room.
There were no safe, minibar, hair drier or any other extras. There were however coffee and tea to make in the room.

The bathroom was barely OK. Large towels are always nice, the bathtub was not tempting to lay in, but water temperature and pressure in the shower was OK. There were also bathrobes available.

I did not eat breakfast at this hotel. The woman that checked me out did not show any interest in asking me how the stay had been or saying goodbye... GBP 255 for the 2 nights, just not good value for money.

It is hard to rate this hotel, I give it 3, but really it is between 2 and 3. I will not stay here again, unless someone else book and pay the bill....

Room Tip: Try Holiday Inn Mayfair :-)
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Vestfoldgirl
Reviewed 2 March 2012

People keep telling me that in general London hotels are bad, even at 300 pounds a night, so what can you demand when you pay less than a 100? The room is shabby and damn cold. They give you a small electric heater which is not sufficient. The wool blanket carries 10 kilos of dust and is unusable. Over all - not a great experience. Will return only at a gunpoint.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The location of this hotel is brilliant but we did have some issues.
When we booked an executive double and asked for a quiet room we were shocked to be given the room right next to the lift. We were then moved to a room which the receptionist said go look first as it's one that has not been refurbished. Quite frankly it was not worth the money we paid. Third time lucky they upgraded us to a suite which was pretty good. So thank you for that.
The hotel is tired and could do with a serious cash injection to bring it up to date. There were oil radiators plugged in all over the hotel which is not ideal.
My biggest concern was I ordered full breakfast in our room as it was my partners birthday and it was horrible. I would have preferred to pay more to eat out , I think a fast food chain would have been better.
Would I stay here again? Yes but not for the cost and definitely eat out.

Room Tip: Luck of the draw
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple