“Great staff, nice rooms, will need refurb soon”

Hilton London Olympia
Ranked #703 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 September 2012

First time I'd stayed at the Olympia and it was a pleasant experience. We extended our stay twice due to a changing schedule and the front-office staff were very good at accommodating our request. A new and welcome aspect is that they are now advertising an all-inlusive daily rate so no surprises.

Breakfast was first-class and the younger generation staff in the restaurant were a breath of fresh air. The Executive Lounge was adequate but at the weekend they're in a hurry to get you out not long after 8 PM; not an issue if you're expecting it and to be honest, one shouldn't be skulking around in an Exec lounge in London at the weekend.

I stayed in 2 different rooms in the week we were there and the first, on the 8th floor overlooking Kengsington High Street was well sound-proofed but the second room, on the 3rd floor was akin to being at street level with the windows open - it was loud and the sirens (the hotel appears to be on quick-response thoroughfare), trains and midnight drunks were right there in the room with us.

Rooms had a good coffee & tea tray, iron & board and bottles of complimentary water were replenished on a daily basis. Bathrooms were clean and the towels and amenities of a good standard.

Housekeeping staff regretfully had no understanding of a DND on the door and twice I was called by a rather impatient Eastern European lady, politely, admittedly enquiring when we were going to be out of the room that she could service it. I appreciate her issue but a DND is a DND and any good hotel would ensure that their staff respect such privacy.

The hotel's location is perfect with regards to a number of popular bus routes, not as conveniently located for the Underground. The concierge staff were excellent and knowledgable.

I'd stay at the Olympia again with pleasure; the rates were good and room size, for a London hotel, was above average. Beds were extremely comfortable. Overall apperance is slightly dated and a refurb should not be too far off. Excellent staff in general; we look forward to staying at the Olympia Hilton again.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
BarbaraMatheson, General Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was happy to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back on your nex trip to London.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

This hotel is consistently cheaper than the other London Hiltons and does look a bit dowdy. A new executive lounge has been added and although the rooms are a bit dated they are large for London and very good value. It should definitely be considered when visiting the Kensington area as the number 9 and 10 buses stop very close to the hotel and go straight to the Albert Hall in about 15 minutes. It is also possible to go right to St Pancras station on the 10.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to executive as you get a huge room and free breakfast and evening drinks and snacks...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your overall stay and found our services and facilities to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Spent one week and so glad we overlooked some of the negative comments. This place was ideal for us. Not only the beauty of a station close by but buses right on doorstep but regular. The staff were friendly and helpful.The restaurant staff,both morning for breakfast and evening were exceptionally good. Erica, kinga and David were standouts. our room was clean and fresh each day. we were very happy with our visit to this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank ayelbee

Thank you for your lovely comments about the hotel and for sharing your great experience with our team and location. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to London.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed here 4 nights on a business trip. This is my second stay at the Hilton Olympia. The room was clean and comfortable. The Breakfast is very good. There is an easy access to central London, by bus or tube. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank einavi

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our services and facilities to your liking. We look forward to you staying with us on your next trip to London.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

The good- the room was clean, the a/c worked,

The bad- i was paying around £170 a night which was booked through the office travel agent. I arrive to be informed that on top of the £170, if i wanted breakfast it would be £12 odd extra a day, and the internet was another £14 for 24 hours.

The receptionist told me they had a nice deluxe room for me. I got to the room and found out that by deluxe Hilton means a standard double. Nothing exciting. It also means a tiny bath, when i sat in it my legs had to be out of the bath to wash my hair. Why have a bath at all? The enamel was chipped and they have the most ridiculous permanent non slip section in the bath, making it even more uncomfortable then it already was.

I had booked in for 5 nights and on the 3rd night realised i might need to spend a 6th. So i spoke to reception who informed me they were full but check back in the morning as they might have cancellations. I check back as told, to be informed they ahve room, in their deluxe room (same one i was in) however now it would cost me £299 for the same room, minus breakfast and internet...... i naturally declined.

Finally, the bar. It is of course overpriced, but this is not the main issue. Some colleagues, a client and i where drinking, very late it must be said, and when i got up to get another round, found that the barmaid had disappeared and the bar closed. Would have been nice to have been informed. Off i went to reception to see what could be done to be told that i could order room service at reception and then wait, at reception and carry the drinks to the bar. I asked if they could serve me in the bar but the answer was an emphatic no. So i waited- about 10 minutes, while the chap walked upto the bar i just came from got my drinks and then i had to walk them back up to the same bar to drink them. For that pleasure i got charged a £5 tray charge.

Needless to say i will never stay at this place again. If i can help it, i will also not stay at a Hilton. I spent my last night in town at the K&K George in Earls Court, which was cheaper, had everything included with a super bar, bigger room, more comfortable bed and nicer staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business