There is nothing that is “bad” about the Hilton Olympia but it just feels a little drab!
Reception functioned very well with almost immediate attention at the executive check in desk, although not entitled to it, as the other staff were occupied. I was asked if I wanted internet as it would be a minimum of £15.00 (or 14.99 actually!!) for 24 hours. Only when I gave my refusal to pay for internet access was I given a card entitling me to 60 minutes free usage of WiFi - but only in the public areas!! Come on Hilton, get real……
The Hotel is a conversion of an old building, and within those limitations, the renovation has been done well with reasonable, but not large, rooms and comfortable space for both working and sleeping.
In the rooms there is a card suggesting a visit to the “slick new bar” through which I did pass on the way to the restaurant. If this is new, the style of the renovation in both the bar and restaurant is definitely the 1960’s with lots of browns……again comfortable if a little drab for my taste.
After a little messing about with the wine order. which was sorted quickly, I enjoyed a really good meal of well cooked scallops and beautiful Hake in a clam sauce…excellent and complimented by the excellent staff!
Funnily, whilst not overly waiting for the mains to arrive, a charming waiter apologetically informed me that the kitchens were very busy and there would be, and was, a slight delay with the mains order!! The restaurant would sit easily 120 people but there were just 9 of us the whole time I was there, and, apparently, the kitchen was busy with room service orders……tip to management, the guests in the restaurant have made the effort to come there and should be served in priority to the lazy chappies looking for room service!!
Although overlooking a very busy road in west London, there was no sound in the bedroom and a good night sleep eminently possible….
I do not go for Breakfast but I could have purchased a voucher at check in that would have entitled me to a cheaper one which is all very strange but as I said, I did not bother. I did not think that £60 was overly expensive for the starter, mains and bottle of wine for dinner although I noted that a bottle of beer would cost me £4.50 which I think is a little heavy?
No real complaints other than the perennial one of hotels trying to top up their profits by charging for internet access in the rooms (free for Hilton gold and silver club members) at exorbitant rates and then, probably, only giving limited access such that no downloading is possible…..get over it as more and more people will look, in preference, to hotels who supply this limited service for free or have their own internet connected equipment to use in same way as everyone now uses mobiles instead of telephony supplied by the hotel!
Incidentally, I tried the free 60 minutes and managed to get some emails out before the connection severed after less than 10 minutes and all efforts to reconnect lasted less than 30 seconds and bookmarked pages on the browser all became the opening page for BTopenzone sign in as soon as I tried to open them…so will have to change all these back again when get proper connection………………………..
I would stay again but for only one night at a time…………………
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay at the Hilton London Olympia hotel on bustling Kensington High Street, 2 minute' walk from Olympia Exhibition Centre, 10-15 minutes from Earl's Court Exhibition Centre and Westfield London Shopping Centre. Try our quintessentially British menu in our fabulous interior designed Society Restaurant inspired by the Victorian era or relex and enjoy our delicious cocktails and nibbles in Society Bar. Do business in one of our 10 newly refurbished meeting rooms, unwind in the fitness centre, or enjoy our COSTA coffee shop. Heathrow airport is 14 miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton London Olympia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton London Olympia Hotel London
- Hilton Olympia London
- London Hilton Olympia Hotel