New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hilton London Olympia

Hilton London Olympia
Ranked #629 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Captive Audience, with a room price that reflects this”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel as my company was exhibiting at Olympia, as this is one of closest hotels to venue it is very popular with people exhibiting there. My room was clean and comfortable enough with flat screen TV, iron and ironing board etc. The bar was extremely busy as was the dining room for breakfast, I gave both a miss and went elsewhere. For what you get the hotel is overpriced, they are taking advantage of customers who need to be near Olympia and cashing in.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EODUK
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.com following your earlier stay with us.
I was delighted to learn that you found our unrivalled location next to West London exhibition centres an ideal base for your stay.
I was so glad to read that you found the room to be clean and well-equipped, however I am sorry that you opted not to dine with us in the Society restaurant for either breakfast or dinner. If you booked a room only rate, then we have some great promotions available at our Reception desk for breakfast and dinner with reductions on the standard price if purchased on arrival.
You are correct that we do have a select market during busy exhibition periods which does fill the hotel up, however our rates are competitive with the other local hotels in the area surrounding these centres and monitor our rates carefully to ensure we are competitive.
Thank you very much for your feedback and happy travelling!
Richard, Director of Operations.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Just stayed here for 2 nights (room 849, top floor) and was very satisfied overall with the stay at this Hilton property.

Pros / Things to note:
- Bed was fantastic. Had a queen size bed, 4 pillows and comfy/clean duvet and sheets.
- I don't know why so many people were complaining about expensive wifi? They offer one hour free wifi per day (which they said was good in the lobby to use), however, I was able to access it with no problem whatsoever from my room (8th floor). Also, whenever the one hour "limit" was up, I would just re-enter the passcode, and it would immediately give me another hour free! Was very happy and please about this.
- Bathroom is a bit tight, but was very clean and well appointed (after renovation). Grohe fixtures and premium lotions/shampoo/etc. provided.
- Maids did a great job. Very clean and neat job done everyday. Bathroom amenities fully replaced and stocked daily.
- Room 849 is sort of on a weird "corner" of the hotel layout, so actually the room was BIGGER than most similar rooms. Lots of space to move around.
- Hotel is located, as previous reviewers have mentioned, about 12-15 minute casual-paced walk from High Street Kensignton tube station. Lots of stores, supermarkets, etc. along the way. Very convenient. 20-25 minutes max to most central London sites.

Only a couple "cons" (with the 1st listed being the most disappointing!):
- Ordered room service (Fish & Chips, cost of 16£+5£ service charge = £21), and was unfortunately very disappointed with the food. The fish fell apart too easily (ie. mushed into a bunch of little pieces as I tried to eat), and the chips were overcooked (brown) on the outside but not cooked enough on the inside. For this price, I don't expect an out of world experience in terms of food quality, but it should be at least as good as something I can get down the road for 10£. They also called twice, while I was still eating, to ask me to go down and pay (had already told them to charge to CC)...which was a bit annoying.
- Room did not have things like: slippers, hair dryer, Q-Tips. Not the biggest deal in the world, but as a Hilton & 4-star ranked property, these type of amenities should be standard. I can imagine women having a possible bigger fuss with the no hair dryer issue.

Despite these couple minor cons/inconveniences, I would definitely recommend this Hilton property as a value choice for London. Will definitely consider staying here again upon my next return trip to London!

(*Thanks for reading - Hope this helps your travel planning, please hit the 'helpful' button if this review indeed was for you, cheers!*)

Room Tip: - Higher floors and on the back side (ie. facing courtyard/north) are the best combo for a room choi...
6 Thank Ryan T
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your review. Your comments, both the great and not so great have been shared with all my team here. I was delighted to learn that your overall stay was satisfactory.
I was very sorry to read about the issue you experienced with the fish & chips served to your room and will be raising this with the Chef to address where necessary.
The hairdryer in the room is located in the wardrobe on the shelf in a blac bag labelled hairdryer. In regard to the availability of slippers, Q-tips, upgraded bathroom amenities,and bathrobes are provided in our deluxe, Executive and Suites as a standard.
Thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back soon.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

I booked this hotel for convenience for my business in London.

Under similar circumstances I'm not sure I would choose it again.

My issues were the noise from the busy roads, the excessively high room temperatures and the small room size. The Hilton brand has a perceived level of good/high quality and I found the whole experience to be average.

When I counter this against a below average rate I have no cause for complaint but I think it cheapens the brand.

Room Tip: Perhaps request a room that does not face one the major roads.
1 Thank Peter T
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay.
I was sorry to read that you found your stay to only be average on this occasion. The noise of the traffic on the main road in front of the hotel is a difficult challenge for us to combat being located where we are as is tyhe case with a lot of other establishments in London. You are however correct that rooms towards the rear of the hotel are quieter away from the main road.
With thanks once again and happy travelling!
Richard, Director of Operations.
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We have stayed once before at this hotel and when, the night before, we were faced with finding a hotel for the following day, I chose this as a cheaper option than most. Nonetheless, we ended up paying £190 without breakfast.

We requested early check-in but the hotel could not oblige. That said, checkin was friendly and efficient.

We had room 832 on the top floor. It had a large comfortable double bed and was well equipped. The bathroom was modern though I prefer a single shower to shower over bath tub. The shower however worked well

The room has a computerised minibar and if you as much as lift an item, its cost is added to your bill. Thus we ended up with a charge of £4.25 for 1 litre of mineral water!

The hotel is a short walk to Kensington Olympia station with London Overground and, occasional, Tube services. We needed a taxi and late morning got one easily outside. At 17.00 it was quite the opposite, and we had difficulty in getting one.

This is a comfortable hotel. Best when you are attending an exhibition nearby

Room Tip: High up will be quieter
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.com following your recent visit to the Hilton London Olympia.
I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your overall stay at the hotel, and in particular our location in West London.
In regard to the early check-in, I am sorry that we were not able to oblige on this occasion, however our advertised check-in time is 3pm and we always try to check-in early if we have rooms available, however this is more often than not difficult as our hotel is busy and frequently full. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.
With thanks once again and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton London Olympia in the very near future.
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have stayed at the Hilton London Olympia as a convenient hotel for trade shows at Earl's Court a number of times, as it is a quick 15 minute walk to the exhibition hall. For Hilton Honors members the hotel is accommodating (when it can be) for early arrivals from the US, and has recently opened an executive lounge for HH members which has wireless access and as well as breakfast, snacks, and drinks. The hotel has an excellent, extremely friendly and accommodating staff. Some of the rooms are a bit small, and when you need two beds, you actually have to separate a double bed, by pulling it apart into two single beds, a bit inconvenient, and it takes up more room. Location is a bit far from Central London attractions, but several busses stop directly in front of the hotel, and the High Street Kensington tube station is a 10 minute walk. All together, a very good, less expensive option than Central London properties.

2 Thank hopper1
RFinn, Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Hilton London Olympia.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed a comfortable stay, received your Hilton HHonors loyalty programme upgrade and enjoyed the breakfast buffet in our newly opened Executive Lounge (of which we are very proud of).
You are correct in that our location is West London and not central where many of the tourist attractions can be found, and we do tend to be a hub for the exhibition market at Olympia and Earls Court Exhibition Centre as well as some great shopping at the close-by Westfield Shopping Centre. We always recommend that hotel guests research the location of their lodgings when booking all depending on why they are coming to London as it is a vast and exciting city. I am glad to hear that you found the public transport links good though from the hotel to the centre which many of our guests find convenient.
I hope that we may get the opportunity to be of service again on a future visit to West London.