“Ideal location”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #452 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I stayed here for one night as it was the cheapest room I could find over the jubilee weekend. The staff were very helpful. The room was a bit small but we perfectly adequate and very clean. The location is excellent for Covent Garden and all tourist attractions. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank analogue_10

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed here with my daughter over the Jubilee festivities. What a brilliant location. We were able to walk to the Mall and St Pauls. It is so near Covent Garden and all the theatres. The reception was very efficient and polite. The concierge helped with buses and directions. As we were quite late arriving we ate at the carvery in the hotel which was very pleasant. The room was quite big enough and also quite quiet considering its location. The lifts were a bit slow but that would be my only criticism. We got a much better rate than was being offered at Premier Inns and breakfast was included (the breakfasts were very good). We wanted to go out early on the Tuesday and it was no problem for them to give us a takeaway breakfast. I would thoroughlly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank harryh52
Reviewed 8 June 2012

This is my second time staying at the Strand Palace, and once again everything met my expectations. I stayed at the Strand Palace this time during the Diamond Jubilee because the hotel is within walking distance of Buckingham Palace as well as near several tube stations. Location wise it's fantastic as you can walk to Trafalgar Square, Piccadily Circus I had no problem with check-in or check-out, the staff was efficient and courteous. The only suggestion I have is as others have mentioned is to ask for a room in the quieter area as noise from the street can sometimes be loud until 1:00am-ish. Also, like many older European hotels, the Strand Palace does not have air conditioning in their rooms, so if this is an issue for you I wouldn't recommend it during July or August (however London doesn't tend to get unbearably hot during summer nights). I'd highly recommend this hotel, especially the room category that gets daily breakfast as it's a really good value for a full breakfast with large selection of food.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dpmf
Reviewed 8 June 2012

The Strand is in the middle of everything! Perfect location for walking to the shows. We even walked down to the Old Globe for a show...not recommended in heels. The Strand is a wonderful hotel. Our room didn't have air conditioning, so we did have to open the windows to the busy street. Not a big deal, but some might find it hard to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Although I have lunched at this hotel many times, my visit on the 7th June with my husband and guest for afternoon tea was both disappointing and a let down.

I booked afternoon tea for 3.00 p.m. and we were going to be some ten minutes late. I informed them of this situation and they were quite happy. We arrived and ordered but weren't asked what afternoon tea we wanted. The pot of tea came but some forty minutes later we were still waiting for the food! My husband asked the bar staff and said it would be coming within minutes, but still we waited. When it did arrive the cakes seemed to be thrown on the plate, the sandwiches were cold, as if they had been made earlier, then put into a chiller and very basic fillings. No one came near to replenish the tea pot or ask if we were OK.....and so it went on.

Eventually, I did speak to staff and said it was the worse afternoon tea I had experienced in London. Obviously something went wrong with the staff situation but I would have thought for the Jubilee week and school holidays, the hotel would have got their staff situation in good order.

All three of us will not be returning for afternoon tea ever again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank VulcanLondon
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear Guest,

I’m sorry our service levels were not up to standard during your afternoon tea. We have since rectified the issue with yourself and I am pleased to know that you have since been back to dine with us again.

Regards,