“Great stay at this hotel. Wouldn't hesitate to stay again.”

Thistle City Barbican
Ranked #613 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great stay at this hotel. Wouldn't hesitate to stay again.”
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night recently, ideally located for the 'city' and particularly the Barbican being less than a ten minute brisk walk away.

The check in and check out were easy and quick. Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful and a cot was provided within minutes of asking.

The room was very clean, as was bathroom, with a great shower. The lighting level in the room was a little low but that would be the only criticism.

We had our baby with us and the staff were so helpful and child friendly, particularly the restaurant staff. they even provided warm milk for the baby and an extra little pot of cous cous. we did have to pay for the night time baby milk as would be expected. The fish in the restaurant was good, but I would avoid the ribs on the next visit.

The pool was clean and the spa staff very accommodating.

We booked a little later than planned so had to take a premier executive room, but the extra space was ideal with the baby and for the location, we would not complain too much about the price.

Other points: bar staff helpful, limited on site parking (25 sterling), 30 min walk to King's Cross.

Overall we'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank Where_2_nextthen?
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Where_2_nextthen?

Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and would return.
Your very positive review will be greatly appreciated by the team.

Jane and team
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stayed for three nights at this hotel for a work course which was located nearby. Upon check-in, the receptionist asked me whether I would like to book breakfast, as it was not included with the room price. I was told that if I booked on check-in, the cost would be £12, whereas on the day would be £17. It seemed like the logical option to book in advance for £12.

Monday morning and the breakfast was way below standard. I helped myself to a couple of mini pastries and they were really dry, tasted as if they were a few days old. Didn't like the look of the cooked breakfast so I decided to try the bread, meat and cheese. I picked up the sliced bread and it was stale. It was extremely poor compared to other hotels I've stayed at recently.

Needless to say I didn't want to have breakfast at the hotel for the next two days, so I complained at the front desk straight away and assumed that it would be no problem to cancel my future two days breakfast. How wrong I was! The girl I spoke to said it should be okay to get a refund and that I just needed to speak to a manager. I found that Syed, the manager, was quite rude to me and unwilling to let me cancel the future breakfasts. I told him that I didn't enjoy the breakfast and he demanded to know exactly what was wrong with it, saying that he had previously had very good feedback on the breakfast there. I then had to have a ten minute debate with him as to why I should be able to cancel the two future breakfasts, he kept saying that the tokens were 'non refundable' and I kept telling him that I didn't want to spend another £24 enduring what might be a repeat of the breakfast I just experienced. I told him that the girl on check-in did not mention at all that the breakfast tokens were non-refundable. I found it absolutely preposterous that he did not offer his apologies and a full refund on all the breakfasts straight away!! Eventually he reluctantly decided to cancel the two future breakfasts and gave me a refund for my first one. That was not the end of it though, when I came to check out the girl on the front desk said "just £12 to pay for breakfast" and I had to speak to Syed again, he mumbled something about communication problems and the girl cancelling it had not understood correctly.

Other things I found about the hotel:

Confusing signs to hotel rooms, tired & grubby looking decor in the rooms, you have to pay for Wifi, located in quite an undesirable area. Restaurant service was really slow, even though it seemed really empty.

Some good things: swimming pool, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank slowloris86
Dear Slowloris86
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was sorry to read that you had cause to comment on the service you received , in regards to pre-purchased breakfast . Breakfast for us is a key meal of the day and we have many positive comments in regards to our breakfast selection , I am really sorry that on this occasion it fell short of your expectations and that you could not cancel with ease the other vouchers pre-purchased . Please be assured that this will be addressed with the team.
Thank you for your constructive feedback which will be acted upon.
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I had a decent stay in this hotel until I came across a rude manager. I pity the asian working at food counter who had to face the music by the tall fair girl. Assuming that she was the manager around I was left with no one to complaint. Irony was that she wasn't guilty for yelling in front of me and my colleague. The housekeeping maid I came across was really nice. My toilet ran out of tissue but second time in a day and I was really embarrassed to ask again from the same maid. However I her smile made me comfortable ask for. The girl at the reception was excellent in helping me find a thai restaurant to dine at.

Room Tip: Skip the breakfast and that is my opinion
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Paul K
Dear Paul K

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very sorry to read that your stay was marred by your observation of the behaviour of one of my breakfast supervisors . There is no excuse for this behaviour and for this I do apologise .One of the key behaviours that our team is taught is I practise teamwork with courtesy and respect and should be one of the daily habits that we live by.Please be assured that your comments will be used in our daily training .However I was very pleased to see that in other areas of the hotel you enjoyed a more positive experience with my team.
Thank you for your feedback and your constructive comments .
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed for just one night together mainly on a business trip. The level of service was very good but at £174 room only the price was high for a hotel which seemed to have seen better days. Much of the carpets were worn out, the aircon was very noisy and the windoows did not open properly. It was passable but lacked any wow factor.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mikem0
, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Mikem0

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very pleased to read your comments in regards to our service and will pass this on to the team as for us service is key.
Our bed room product is slightly dated but we are currently completing a project which will see many of our carpets changed , along with other new soft furnishings in our rooms.
Thank you for your feedback .
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I travel with work a lot and it's not rare for me to spend 3 or 4 nights a week in hotels in London. Tonight, against my better judgement, I accepted a room in the Barbican Thistle. My last experience of the hotel (a bathroom sink blocked by vomit) was unpleasant enough for me to seek alternative accommodation.

Tonight I was expecting the double room that my company have paid for, but was put in a twin room... A small inconvenience perhaps, but at check-in I was informed that there were 5 suites available if I would pay an upgrade fee. I refused, reasoning that if I'd booked a double room one should be available - and if the hotel has a policy of overbooking the cost should not be passed on to me. Why should I pay out of my own pocket for a double bed when my company has already paid for one and not received it?

On both occasions that I have stayed in this place my key card didn't work resulting in the tiresome trudge back to reception. Tonight I was helpfully educated as to the precise speed at which one should swipe the card (thanks, but this isn't the first hotel I've stayed in).

Also the signage detailing which room is where is frankly incomprehensible - a fact born out in conversation with the two other guests staring blankly at the signs and whom I later passed going in the opposite direction down the corridor.

Had I got the room my company had booked and paid for, I probably would have overlooked this hotel's many failings. But, as it is, I'm sat in a tired room, on a single bed, feeling ripped off.

I earnestly hope never to stay here again and will do my utmost to realise that wish.

Ps. I would add photos of the appallingly scuffed wallpaper next to my bed, the hair in my as yet unused sink and the curious sticky patch on the bathroom floor, but as the wifi in my room (1229) doesn't work you'll have to picture those yourself.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank AJPWatkis
Dear AJP Watkis

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very sorry to read your comments in regards to your stay and your obvious disappointment . There is no excuse for the poor standard of cleanliness in the room and for this I do apologise .Please be assured that I will be addressing your comments with the departmental heads concerned .
I have noted your point that you do not wish to return to the hotel but I would like the opportunity of making amends for the problems experienced and if you would reconsider in the future please contact me directly so I can oversee the details of the reservation and make up in some practical way for the disappointing aspects of this visit .

Jane Hills