“5 star location, 3 star facilities”

Le Meridien Piccadilly
Ranked #525 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Sao Paulo - Brazil
“5 star location, 3 star facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I go very often to London and like staying at the Le Meridien Piccadilly since its location is unique for my needs. Close to many of my client offices, a few steps away of important tube stations, easy access to really good restaurants and very close to most of the theaters, where you can go the famous West End musicals. This is what really drives me in staying there. The bad part of the hotel is that it has some really poor rooms where they usually allocate business travelers like me. Small rooms, many times lacking a window and, unfortunately, with washrooms that many times lacked a decent flush.

Room Tip: Make sure there is a real window in your room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Vinicius CC,

thank you for taking the time to share your feeback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with usin February.

I am delighted to see that you have chosen to stay with us on more than one occasion and that you also appreciate the excellent location of the hotel.

Some of our rooms are indeed inside facing - they are generally somewhat quieter than those facing the street and we often get requests for precisely those rooms. I am very sorry to hear though that we have not met your expecations in the past when allocating a room for you. We certainly do not distinguish between business and leisure traveller and always attempt to fulfill each and every guests expectations. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next stay with us and I will be more than happy to ensure that we allocate a room to your liking.

I look forward to welcoming you back at Le Méridien Piccadilly in the not too distant future.

Oscar del Campo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
northampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel Feb 2012 for a weekend in london. It's location is wonderful..Piccadilly itself. Theatres and tourist sights within walking distance. Staff were ok. Although I wasn't too impressed with having to provide ID after checking in...the room was paid for in advance and we had the usual credit card details given to the staff. Breakfast was fine, but we've had the same if not better in hotels with a much lesser rating. The room was unbearably hot. We had the windows open all the time because the air con wasn't too brill. Wouldn't stay here in the summer. The bathroom gave us concern. When the water was being run, the water looked yellow. We found this both alarming and off putting. We tested the water with a clear bottle, and found it too be clear, but, when looking at the bath with the yellow water, it simply looked like rust. We reported it, but left with very little faith the concern would be acted apon.
Would I stay again...? Yes,if I wanted to be in Piccadilly and the other hotels were full....

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank simplesNorthampton
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that, just as many of our guests, you found the location of the hotel in the heart of the city perfect for exploring all that London has to offer.

I am very sorry that you felt inconvenienced by having to produce ID at Reception after check in. From your comments I cannot establish what the exact context was, but when guests return to the desk to, for example, request another room key, this procedure guarantees their safety and well-being and ensures that only the actual registered clients are allowed access to the room. You will find that most reputable international hotels handle this in exactly the same way.

Our water is supplied by Thames Water and regularly subject to rigourous checks and I can assure you that it is perfectly clean.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience experienced with the air-conditioning. The entire hotel is equipped with air-conditioning and I can only imagine that there might have been a fault in your particular room.

I sincerely hope that these issues will not deter you from giving us a second chance and I would be delighted to be able to welcome you back at Le Méridien Piccadilly again in the future.

Best regards,

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I decided to try this hotel, after relatives had stayed there and enjoyed it. I was not disappointed. The location is great, just off Piccadilly Circus (the only issue is that cabs have a tough time dropping off pasengers on this busy street). The rooms are very nice. They have a good size jim and spa. The restaurant on the 1st floor, called the Terrace, is wonderful for lunch and has a nice view of the surroundings.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Dear Aviad M,

thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay here with us at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

It is a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked our newly refurbished rooms. The Terrace restaurant, with its glass domed roof, is indeed a wonderful space for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as an excellent choice for tea time.

Thank you for your kind words, we hope to see you soon again here at Le Méridien Piccadily.

Best regards from London,

Stourbridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

This hotel was a classic 5 star, all wood, brass and marble with top-hatted doormen, uniformed bell hops and Concierge (Phillip, Paul, George) who could magic anything from a flight to an impossible dinner reservation at the drop of a hat. This together with the fastest room service in the known world made Le Meridien, Piccadilly, one of the best luxury hotels in the World - and I stayed at many such hotels during this time, 1990 - 1996.

We stayed at Le Meridien for one night this March (2012), we had a social engagement that was directly opposite the hotel at St James' Church and following that at Waterstone's restaurant. The Concierge remain, well Paul and George do, and I have no doubt that given the opportunity they could still work their very special brand of magic for you. Vasco (one of the original three doormen) is still guarding the door although devoid of his wonderful uniform of years gone bye and Ali can still be trusted to ensure your bags get to your room in a timely manner. Other than that I find it very hard to see quite what is left of the wonderful 5 star hotel where nothing was too much trouble, where the rooms seemed to have been transported from a major stately home and the food, even room service, was excellent.

Le Meridien is now a 'modern' 5 star where people wander through the lobby eating McDonalds or drinking coffee provided by Starbucks (turn left out of the front doors) or Costa (turn right) wearing their exercise clothes from the gym (Piccadilly Gym in the hotel's basement). We were offered, thanks to the remonstrations of Vasco rather than the provision of my SPG gold card, one of the newly renovated rooms on the first floor; a triumph of minimalism in black, grey and red with the obligatory plasma screen TV artfully hung on the wall in lieu of some real art. I refused. I am wholeheartedly fed-up of booking 5 star hotels who think that their clientele actually want Philip Stark as a surround to a good night's sleep rather than actual good, old fashioned comfort. We took one of the old rooms on the 5th floor, well the wood has gone, the marble has gone and a rather poor attempt at covering the discrepancies with a rather neutral matt paint did not hide that fact that even the faded glory is no more.

This is a modern functional hotel with many excellent things to recommend it, although I wouldn't recommend its restaurant unless fairly unexciting steak with a variety of sauces and farmhouse fries is to your liking (I always get nervous when senior serving staff cannot actually give the name of the Chef....'erm...it's Mark, Mark who? I'm sorry I don't know but he's English'). The room was comfortable, the aircon worked and, post the visit of the hotel engineer, the large screen TV worked too. We were there for a night, it was disappointing but you can never go back can you?

If I were to stay at a 5 star in London and I wanted a real 5 star I would go back to the Lanesborough, its more expensive but the service is world's ahead of Le Meridien. If the Lanesborough were full (and with only 85 rooms it can be) I would head to the Dorchester. At least Philip Stark and his allies have yet to set foot over the door of these two establishments and nor will they, ever, I suspect. One day hoteliers will realise there are two types of guest. One wants the comfort, service and luxury they are used to and don't mind paying for it when someone actually takes the trouble to provide it, the other wants what they are told they should want by lifestyle programs on TV.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank champagnelife
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us in March 2012.

I am glad that you recognised some familiar faces at the hotel - our Concierge team continues to deliver outstanding service and I am sure they were delighted to see you again.

It was of course disappointing to hear that the newly refurbished public areas and rooms were not to your liking. It is certainly not down to me to categorise our guests into different "types", and I am sure one could debate the subject of lifestyle forever (is it driven by consumers themselves or by the companies offering the service) but I can assure you that it was never our intention to antagonise our most regular and loyal guests. Our designer tried to blend the classical elements of the building with a contemporary design, and from the feedback we have been receiving since the completion of the refurbishment I can honestly say that it has been very succesful. Please accept my apolgies for not meeting your expectations.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback, I nevertheless hope that you might give us a second chance in the future so that we can show you that we are still more than capable of delivering outstanding service with a smile.

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

WOW! This one blew me away and not in a good way. While the staff were quiet friendly and accommodating, the rooms were awful. It was like being in my Grandmothers bedroom. Not what you want on vacation or a business trip. I stayed in a room at the end of the hallway and it didn't get any wireless signal. So no internet. Not good. I couldn't get out of there fast enough!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear BlkBetty,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay with us here at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I was delighted to read that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful but of course sorry to see that the design of our rooms was not to your liking. All our rooms were recently refurbished and our aim was to combine a contemporary design with the beautiful features of a building from the Georgian period. We hope that we managed to achieve a look and feel that would appeal to all generations, but I do apologise if the design of your room and the hotel in general failed to meet your expectations.

Wireless internet is available throughout the hotel, I am very sorry to hear that it appeared not to work during your stay. Unfortunately I cannot investigate the cause as we do not seem to have any record of this incident. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss the matter further.

I nevertheless hope that you might reconsider your decision and give us another chance on your next visit to London - we would be delighted to be able to welcome you again.