“small dirty boxes designed by and for midgets !”

Studios2Let Serviced Apartments - Cartwright Gardens
Ranked #32 of 824 Speciality Lodging in London
Southampton, United Kingdom
“small dirty boxes designed by and for midgets !”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Only stay here if you enjoy being ignored by rude staff, accused of lying because they have lost our reservation and staying in a room so small that is must have been designed by a midget. The web site is so misleading that I am tempted to report them to trading standards. The staff claim that they do not know who they work for, ie who pays their wages so I cant even write in to complain.
Run by a complete load of amatures who really do not deserve a job and owed by a greedy company who have squeezed far to many rooms into what was once beautiful buildings. Attnetion to detail does not exsist in this establishment !

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank liz186299
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cork
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Myself and my husband stayed here for 3 nights over the Easter holidays and we were very impressed, especially with the location. Two tube stations nearby and very well serviced with little cafes, pubs and restaurants and the added bonus of Brunswick Shopping Centre (within 5-7 mins walking distance) including retail stores, chemist, food shopping, restaurants and cinema!

The Studios themselves are situated in a lovely crescent which seems more residential, despite other hotels being in the row. Quiet at night time also, which is an added bonus.

We booked the Standard Room with balcony - slightly disappointed in that the photos suggested there were two windows onto the balcony, inferring a slightly bigger room - however, ours had one window and the room seemed smaller than the other version. But what harm! The rooms are very compact but hey, it's London! We much preferred the freedom of having a small kitchenette (albeit somewhat badly designed) in a small room, than having a small room in a hotel with no other facilities! Being able to sleep in a bit in the morning and having breakfast at your leisure in the room was great.

Despite the small size of the room, we felt far less 'hemmed in' than in a hotel and for that we were grateful! Bed was very comfy, TV and DVD options very good and the WiFi was a massive bonus, especially for a city break! Great addition as before it seemed to just be wired internet (which wouldn't have suited our iPad). Connection was very fast and enjoyed streaming catch-up tv in the evenings after busy days out and about.

Rooms were very clean and we were impressed by the various toiletries provided, probably better than in a lot of other hotels. Reception staff were helpful and we were able to leave our bags for the entire day when we checked out at no extra cost. Price was very affordable compared to some other options we'd been looking at, and all in all, we would definitely book in here again on a return trip.

1 Thank CorkBoo
Kota Bharu, Malaysia
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Firstly, considering that this accommodation had various options of room sizes and prices, I think future reviewers of this place should consider stating which room they booked so that readers can be realistic about their expectations.

I booked here fully aware of the tiny shower but I was thinking, oh I'm probably going to spend 10-15 mins tops, so maybe it's bearable. and it is, for about 3-4 days - more than that, I think one can be claustrophobic being in there, not being able to do much. We were asian and on the more generous build - showering was fine, will not be able to bend down and even soaping under the arms can be a squeeze. So yes, everything you read here about the miniscule size of the shower is true.

I had booked the standard studio but on my receipt it was stated that I had the large studio - so I wasn't really sure which room I did get. But the room was fine - it had plenty of storage space for coats and jackets and all your other clothes. Large suitcases can be a problem but we travelled light in the first part of our journey so we were fine.

Bed was comfy, tv channels adequate. I had fun watching programmes that I had watched when I was a student back in the 90s - all the antiques roadshow, Countdown (sans Vorderman and also the late Whiteley) etc. Room was SPOTLESS and of nice temperature. The radiator is adjustable and there was also an AC unit, I suppose useful in the summer months.

Kitchenette was good - set of knives, plates, mugs, cutleries for two people to use. There wasn't a scouring pad but fairy liquid was provided so we made do with some kitchen towels for washing up. Didn't understand the logic behind a sink in the corner but it was a small matter. The stove was useful for boiling rice-in-a-bag, there was a microwave and also a toaster! Also the water kettle and a selection of drink sachets plus a couple of biscuits too which was a nice touch.

A roll of kitchen towel and two loo rolls were provided too.

Loved the selection of toiletries - very nicely packaged.

There is a small laundry room in the basement. There are 2 washing machine and 2 driers - free for use from 8 am to 10pm everyday. Had our laundry done everyday while we were here.

Location wise, the best. You can either travel via Russell Sq tube, or take a bus on the Euston Road. I must say, Renaissance St Pancras Hotel is one of the nicest building I have seen. Euston Station is 5 mins away, St Pancras and Kings Cross on the other direction. Plenty of pubs and a Pret a Manger a few strides away.

Sainsbury's and Tesco Express just across the road from Russell Sq tube station.

We loved staying here and will not hesitate booking here again.

1 Thank Sue_Tiramisu
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2012

London is somewhat expensive for accommodation and studio2let is a good compromise. I read the reviews about small sized rooms so I realized the rooms would be smaller than the lovely wide angle shots implied. we were in a studio room with balcony. The room was clean, comfortable and compact. The kitchen facilities were great for making tea and simple breakfast. It is quite 'compact' so I wouldn't want to plan cooking in any major way ..... But then on holiday that was not my intent anyway. Bed was comfortable. The pillows were of the foam slab type that are not 'fluffable' which I really dislike but that is a personal perference. The rooms were also very quiet which impressed me. You could hear people in the hall but there are not many rooms per floor so this was not often an issue. The bathroom is somewhat confined and the shower small but lots of hot water. I do mean small. Both my husband and I are quite small (125 lb and 145 lb) and fit no problem but I would not wanted to be much bigger. At 250lb for example I would be surprised if you could fit in the shower door let alone move around. One simple suggestion for the hotel, even for the small people would be a high, above head height, shelf so you could reach up for shampoo etc. you cannot bend from the waist in the shower it is too small so you end up 'curtseying' down to get everything. Neighbourhood felt safe and is close to King's cross/St Pancras and also Russell Square. I liked the trip to Russell Square better as one turn onto Marchmont St and then just straight to the station. You can take this line straight to Heathrow. Very easy and straight forward but busy early am so try to avoid this with luggage. They will tag your bags and let you leave them if you have a later flight and want to still tour the city. I would certainly stay in this hotel again for a clean, comfortable safe and fairly reasonable accommodation.

1 Thank HRHCaoimhe
Coronado, California
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My sister and I lodged in a large studio here for 2 nights. The staff was very accommodating in regards to our 4am check out time. The location is nice and quiet and a short walk from the tube and train stations. Our room was a decent size with a small kitchenette and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was a bit of a squeeze but had everything we needed. There is a small patisserie at the end of the street that has the most delicious pastries for breakfast or desert (or both) so be sure to stop by. The only negative was that the front door was quite thin so you can hear other people talking in the hallways or closing their doors throughout the night. Overall it was a very pleasant stay and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family