I was first introduced to the Amsterdam about 2004 by a colleague and have used it since as my regular home-from-home while staying in London - on both business and pleasure. To be clear, I always stay in one of their studio apartments when I'm in town, so if you're planning to stay in the hotel itself please refer to other reviews. This review is purely my experience when staying in one of their studios.
What I like:
* Location: one minute's walk from Earl's Court Tube for the District and Piccadilly lines. Lots of nice restaurants in easy walking distance. A supermarket just around the corner for picking up bits and pieces during my stay.
* Rooms: the studios are reasonably priced for what they are. A separate bedroom and living room with kitchenette is hard to find elsewhere for the money. They're also clean and well appointed with a fridge, kettle, microwave, iron, ironing board, hairdryer and shower gel/soap. So it's possible to self-cater if you prefer.
* Free wi-fi: that's fast and works.
* Separate entrance to the hotel: you can come and go as you please at any time since you have your own key to the apartment block as well as the room.
* The staff: they're always friendly, helpful, pleasant and welcoming.
What I don't:
* Breakfast: it doesn't start until 7.30am, so if you're heading off early for anything that's a problem. Also, it's only a continental breakfast that's included - cooked breakfasts are extra and the ordering system is a bit archaic - you have to let them know the night before what you're wanting, which isn't always possible. But what you get is nice enough and it's usually served with a smile.
* Showers: the showers are functional (and clean), but that's about as much as you can say for them. I generally use the bath instead.
* Door locks: there's no chain or additional bolt to stop someone opening the door from outside if they have a key. And while it's never been an issue (and hasn't stopped me going back) I'm always careful to leave the key in the door lock when I go to sleep at night - just in case...
Overall though I'm really happy with the Amsterdam and would recommend it - particularly for business users who appreciate being able to fend for themselves a bit instead of being suffocated by room-service. I'm not a fan of hotels that don't give you a fridge so you have to order room service or go to the bar if you want a beer - I'd rather buy bottles from the supermarket and keep them cool in the fridge for quick consumption after a long day!
It may not be the finest hotel in London, but they do the basics well and deliver good value-for-money, and I appreciate them for that.
Thank you Amsterdam!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Amsterdam Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.