“Very adequate”

Avni Kensington Hotel
Ranked #730 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Avni for two nights while in London catching up with my brother and visiting the sights.
I arrived first and was quite pleasantly suprised by the size of our room on the the first floor. It was a bit shabby in places but clean and more spacious than most other London hotel rooms in my experience.
The location was very convenient for our needs, we visited Ealing Broadway (at end of District line), the Tate Modern, the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust in Barnes and Knightsbridge and had no trouble getting to any of them via tube and bus. Gloucester Road is the nearest station, about five minutes walk, and the only problem was that it was very busy over the weekend and we faced a long queue for tickets.
I don't eat breakfast so didn't partake of the continental breakfast included in the price, but my partner did and said it was fine, if lacking in much variety.
One pleasant surprise was the free Wifi internet, which was really fast too.
Another positive was that I had paid as requested on arrival with my credit card, then we had to ask to reverse the transaction so that my partner could pay and be reimbursed by his work, and the lady on reception did this quickly and without fuss for us, which we appreciated.
A couple of niggles were the low water pressure and clunky shower-doors that made it very easy to wet the bathroom floor, and lack of security in relation to the luggage room.
We left our cases there all day on the Sunday while we explored before leaving town. The room was not locked and it seemed very easy for anyone to access it. All was well, but in hindsight I wouldn't leave any valuables in my luggage next time.
I think we'd stay here next time we're in London, the price was good and it ticked all our boxes.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a quiet back street, so a room at front or back should be fine.
1  Thank 17thousandkm
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed one night in February 2012. Room was clean. No radiator which was strange but so hot we had to have the windows open - which meant noisy with road and air traffic. Bathroom small but clean and upto date with pleanty of towels. Luggage could be left. Value good at £99 for three people in Kensington. Downside was the rude staff servicing the basement breakfast room. They were off hand and off putting. No glasses, no cutlery - when I asked was snapped at!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Voldermort
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a weekend break in London and stayed in the Avni. The accommodation was nice, clean and comfortable. The rooms are basic with everything you need; bed, tea and coffee, hairdryer, TV, safe and en suite. I wouldn't describe the rooms as "luxury" or "special" but are perfectly adequate for your base to explore London. Staff were really friendly and breakfast was standard cereal and toast.
Great location and just a 5 min walk to Gloucester Road tube station.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor were very hot! Even though it was -5 outside and we turned the radiator off i...
1  Thank SomersetBeachBum
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is a cheap hotel, so don't expect much. room was clean and tidy, a few marks on the floor, no big deal, The shower was very small and not powerfull.
The Breakfast was a joke...down in the basement, a very hot room with a number of tables...all dirty! no cutlery, the buffet was basically white bread...one type...processed cheese...and jams. value cereals and juice, coffee sitting in a measuring jug with a plate on top!! you have to fight the staff to get a plate..then a spoon...then a napkin then sugar....better off not bothering with breakfast at all and go to a local bar. The reception insist on your leaving your door key and then are not on reception when you want to return to your room..very annoying!

Room Tip: g7 is the largest but it is a triple
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We have just returned from this hotel. It is advertised as a 4 star hotel well I am doubtful. On a plus side it is very central and a short walk to Gloucester Road tube station. The room was clean and obviously recently refurbished but very compact. The shower was tiny. The reception was very sparse and the pictures were quite off putting. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was disappointing - we would have been better off without it - and there was a general rammy in the breakfast room. This hotel should definitely be advertised as a budget hotel. Sadly I cannot recommend it and I won't be using it again.