“Glad I didn't pay for it myself”

Best Western Burns Hotel Kensington
Ranked #546 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This hotel was booked by our firm's travel agent, so mercifully, I was spared having to pay for this myself, especially as they charge a rate of approximately GBP160 / night.

I stayed here on business for two nights in April 2012. Room was small and dirty - piles of dust in the corner, mould developing on walls. The bathrooms are tiny, I have travelled on car ferries with larger bathrooms. In addition to this the bathroom had mould in abundance, a significant amount of decay around the window frames and pieces of trim missing.

All of this, whilst not ideal was just about tolerable as I was only spending two nights there and was not planning on spending any time in the hotel other than to sleep. On the first night the fire alarm was sounded at 0400am causing me to wake up and begin to think about leaving the room. No explanation, let alone apology, was made for this in the morning. Food was average, but no better - brake bros standard - think work canteen standard. Upon leaving the hotel no thanks was offered for my custom, merely a statement that "my room was paid for" - with, I might, no word of a thank you.

Substandard, yet complacent with it. If you love dirty, tired hotels, with mediocre food and impolite staff with random fire alarms where you can invent new alternatives to penicillin in the bathroom and pay 160 pounds for the privilege then this is the place for you. Otherwise steer clear.

Room Tip: One in another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tor675
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I was staying here for business and was placed at he hotel by our internal travel agent, I would have moved if I had to pay for it myself. The welcome by the reception team was below average and slow, it took 3 people to attend to 2 guests checking in. The rooms are very small for a rack rate of £160 per night, they lack any kind of features but plenty of mould in the bathrooms and windows. Room 120 is a double room, very standard decor but okay and bearable as I had no plans to stay in my room all day and night. It wasnt until 1am when the wind got up that I noticed that the windows wouldnt close properly and made a lot of banging noise, this didn't give me a good nights sleep. To add to the matters the fire alarm went off at 4am and there was a siren in my small room which made my ears ring for a while. After the alarm had stopped the corridors didnt, floorboards creaked with people running around (I assume the night staff). The next morning I had hoped that someone would have made an apology at breakfast or in the reception area - no one did! Breakfast is okay, a slice of bacon, 1 sausage, mushrooms, beans and your choice of egg, plus the usual continental options. I approached reception to advise them of the window issue and asked to be moved, I was advised that they would try to fix the window. I mentioned the fire alarm going off at 4am and was greeted with a shrug! I did manage to get moved to room 109, a room not much better than the first, the heating was up very high; very high, I realised why when I as woken up by the French door opening in the wind - no lock, no latch and no means to keep it closed. I was on the first floor which isn't much off ground level with a juliette balcony, needless to say I didn't feel safe. On check out I mentioned this and they said they knew of this issue and would have it looked at; I got the feeling they won't. The hotel offers free wifi, VERY VERY frustrating, it requires a password which reception give to you but every 30 seconds it logs you out and sends you back to the Best Western landing page.
To summarise, don't pay this money unless you don't mind the wind blowing in your room, random fire drills, mould everywhere, lack of a safe feel and staff that really couldnt be bothered.

This is a Best Western hotel owned and run independently by The Lowy Group as it stated in Reception.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Staying here was a throwback to the bad old days of London hotels: unfriendly check in, ancient lift, unpleasant odour on entering the room, a broken ironing board which was only usable if you kept one foot on its leg to stop it falling over, browny beige emulsioned anaglypta clad walls, thin walls so you could hear all that was going on in the bedroom next door, a fire false alarm which went off at 4am (thankfully stopped before we had to evacuate but did enough to ensure you were wide awake), a distinctly average breakfast... I also didn't particularly like the area - I haven't stayed in Earls Court for a long time but it actually seemed to be quite seedy - the areas around Gloucester Road or South Kensington tubes are much more preferable in my view.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The Hotel location is a little bit dodge, there's some people using drugs near buy during the night. The Hotel was clean, breakfast was very average, but the room, OMG, it was 2 people, for someone to move around the room the other one need to sit in bed. The bathroom was clean, and had a good size, but there's no heating and was freezing in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FlaviaGois
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I've stayed a few times at this Best Western hotel, with deals via DHR of £70-£80 per night B&B which is excellent value in London, The hotel is clean, room comfortable enough and the location near Earls Court station is very good.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business