“Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt Is Convenient But Small & Dated”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
Ranked #333 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Rumson, New Jersey
“Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt Is Convenient But Small & Dated”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I chose the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt because it participated in the American Express points reward program. The hotel is conveniently located near the Gloucester Road Underground and a 7 minute walk from Harrods. My room, 104, was labeled a "Family Room" and it was very tight for my wife and 15 year old son.

The room had a leather couch that had a pull out bed for my son. The room had a desk and LCD TV. The bathroom was very small. Sitting on the toilet was a tight squeeze and the room just felt very tight with luggage.

The hotel hallway carpets and room carpets felt that they could use a freshening up. The staff was very friendly. The breakfast buffet was about $20 US, was nice but a bit sparse in selection compared to US chain hotel buffets.

The hotel advertises that the WiFi is free but it only has signal strong enough for downstairs. The free Radisson Wifi network could not be connected on the 1st floor. I feel that this is misleading especially since the Internet is something I use alot when I travel. I was able to find a public Wifi service that cost 15 Pounds for 5 days.

Bring adapters for US electronics. Hotel charges 10 Pounds to rent a converter.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Brian P
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest,

May I thank you for choosing to stay with us at Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt Hotel and for taking the time to post your feedbcak on Tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay with us. I am sorry to learn that on this occasion we were unable to meet expectations. As you mentioned we are currently going through the rooms in the hotel and touching up where necessary. I hope we have the oppertuniuty to welcome you back to the hotel and prove to you that we are more than capable of surmonting expectations.

One thing I would like to clarify is that yes, we are do ask for a £10.00 deposit for adaptors, however this is returned when we receive the adaptor back on check out. This is simply done as a precaution and to ensure that the adaptors are returned for future guests.

For any future reservatiuons please do not hesitate to contact me directly via Front Desk so that I can make sure you are looked after.

Kindest Regards,
Stacey Jasiewicz
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I emailed the hotel before my stay and called Radisson after my stay - and still the hotel is incapable of adding the most basic data to my reservation. I did not even receive any response or acknowledgement from the hotel to my email request. Very poor service. The hotel's best attribute is location, right next to the Gloucester Road tube stop. The room was small but adequate. One twin bed was comfortable, but the other sagged. The fridge barely kept drinks cooler than the room, and the fridge emitted quite a bit of heat. The rooms have A/C, but the A/C struggled to keep the room below 72 degrees due to the sun coming in the windows - despite the temperature being in the high 60s! They put flat screen tv's in the room since my last stay in 2010 - but only British channels (no CNN Europe).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank tsl1965
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincerest apologies fro any inconvenience caused. I kindly ask you to contact me directly as I would like to investiagte into these incidents further. I can be contacted via the hotel reception or via customer services.

Warmest regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We just returned from a four day stay at the Vanderbilt, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back anytime. We loved coming back to our "home" every night.

We had a lovely king-sized room that was just right. It had all the amenities we needed, especially a very comfortable bed and a coffee/tea pot to make warm drinks anytime we wanted. Considering that we were jet lagged and were up until 2 am most days, those hot cups of tea were a hit. We never tried room service so I cannot comment on that. The flat screened TV was a welcome diversion too. Although the bathroom was small (one needs to take into consideration the era the home was built in), we had a great shower and working sink and toilet. (Note: Those complaining of yellow water in the toilet may not be holding the flush button long enough). And everything was restocked daily.

Speaking of era when the hotel was built, the building is beyond charming. The decor is perfect. The reception area and the bar area are so tastefully decorated. The hallways may seem like a maze only because there are doors to push through to get to the next set of rooms on a floor. There were signs pointing to the reception area as well as the lift and the room number sequences. We never got lost once. I also loved the design of the townhouses, especially since I did have to walk up a few extra set of stairs to get to my room, making it private and cozy. Three people and three suitcases can fit into the lift.

We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant, which offered most everything you could ask for in an English breakfast. If it seems expensive, one can always eat elsewhere. We found it so convenient to eat at the hotel before starting our long days. The staff was efficient, and when it gets busy, do not shy away from asking for tea or toast. They may be too busy to realize, which was the case for our last day there. However, on our second day when we woke up late and went to the restaurant at 10 am when breakfast ended, the restaurant staff was more than happy to accomodate us.

The hotel staff was professional and helpful. Everyone we encountered was eager to help us with whatever question we had. Along with being courteous, two staff members (Sara and Ahmed) stood out as friendly and welcoming. We met Stacey briefly yesterday morning as we were checking out, and she was more than willing to accomodate the guests' needs and requests. I had read some of her responses to other guests' comments, and I truly believe that if you ask, the hotel staff will try to accomodate your requests.

Finally, you cannot ask for a better location. It is close to all attractions in London but set far enough to be calm and quiet. I loved the neighborhood, especially embassy row. The hotel was withing 5 minutes' walking distance to Kensington Palace/gardens as well as the Royal Albert Hall. Cross the intersection diagonally and Gloucester tube station is right there (it is a stop for three different lines). Around the station you can find a supermarket, a small drugstore, Tesco express, Starbucks among other eateries and stores. Coming out of the hotel, turn left and walk down to Harrod's and a number of museums. Take the tube down 4 stops and get to Piccadily Circus. You just can't go wrong!

Room Tip: We chose a king-sized bedroom so our room was quite spacious.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for visiting Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt! We are glad that you had a wonderful stay - Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and also recognizing specific Team Members- this is such an encouragement to them specifically and our staff as a whole! Reviews from our guests always encourage and ‘recharge’ the staff to continue offering our very best!

It is a joy to read that you enjoyed your stay so much, and you are absolutely right, if any guests have any requests I will do my level best to accommodate to make sure they are met. I sincerely hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay with us. Should that opportunity occur, please contact the hotel direct to make stay arrangements, as we do honour loyalty and will be sure to take great care of you once again.

Warmest Regards,
Bath
Reviewed 30 March 2012

II've stayed in this Hotel many times over the past ten years and it never fails to deliver on quality service. right from walking through the doors the staff are attentive and nothing is a problem. On this stay "Stacey" on the front desk was magnificent and attentive throughout, little things like knowing your name through the duration of your stay goes a long way!
Will definitely be going back, relaxed and clean, was a great stay

Room Tip: All I've stayed in have been good
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for this wonderful review, it is very much appreciated. It is very encouraging that small gestures of the front line team are evidently noticed by our guests. My team was very touched by your review which is a great motivator to all, and I hope you will continue to join us in our hotel on all your future visits to London.

Kindest regards,
Belfast
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Booked a single room here for a night in London before an interview. When i got there the room was a little bigger than a wardrobe so asked to be upgraded. Second room was much nicer. Reception staff were lovely.
Its directly across from Gloucester Road tube station which makes its an ideal location between heathrow and the city centre. However there are plenty of other hotels on that road to choose from.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank betsyandmolly
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt Hotel and for taking the time to enjoy share your feedback with us on Trip advisor.

I would like to apologies that the room first offered to you was not to your satisfaction, however I am pleased that the second room more enjoyable for you. Size of rooms can be challenging depending on the room type booked, may I suggest that on your next visit your experience our Deluxe King Rooms which are generously spacious and worthy of the title. Besides more room to relax in peace and privacy, our deluxe rooms also include: Luxury bathrobe, Complimentary bottled mineral water, WIFI and drinks at the bar subject to rates booked and conditions.

Thank you for highlighting what wonderful location we enjoy, we are very lucky indeed to be in one of the most picturesque parts of London and only a three minute walk to the tube station to get into the city centre.

Warmest Regards,