“Great location, friendly staff, small rooms”
Review of Phoenix Hotel

Phoenix Hotel
Ranked #289 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This hotel was just a block away from the underground, making it a great location. The staff were friendly and helpful and the free breakfasts were tasty (cereal, ham, crossiants, fruit, toast) and fillng. The staff helped us organize day trips and buy tickets. Our room was tiny! However, for the price - it was definitly worth it.

The hotel was also close to a mall, Hyde Park and Kensington Palace, and several places to eat. For the budget traveler (which we were) there were also many take out places to eat in our room or at the park.

We would definitly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LeeLeeAnn
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I needed an overnight stay close to Notting Hill which wasn't too expensive, and this fitted the bill perfectly. Five minutes from Bayswater Tube station in a pleasant (for London) area. Prior to booking I had read reviews that the single rooms at the Phoenix could be small - and mine was - but not uncomfortably so and it had all the creature comforts of a Best Western. The single bed was located on a mezzanine-style level, and the whole set up reminded me of a very bijou London studio flat. The bathroom, as all the room, was immaculately clean, had a great shower and nice toiletries. The bed was comfy with good quality linen. There was adequate storage, a wall mounted flatscreen TV and the Reception staff were superb, explaining about the free WI-FI, computer area etc without having to be asked. I would very happily stay again.

Room Tip: I requested a 'quiet location' non-smoking room and this is exactly what I got. On checking...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank AugustaRB
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I happened to stay in this hotel and after reading the reviews i kept my expectations low. After taking tube until bayswater station, we started the walk and was surprised that the hotel was less than 10minutes away (had couple of luggage on my, else it is about 5 minutes walk). Queensway station is a minute away from Bayswater. Anyways, checkin took us less than 5 minutes (bookings were done through Hotel.com). Yes, the elevator is slow, the carpets on the floor seems there only to cover the wooden planks. You hear the footsteps as you step in the elevator, until the room. I had booked a double room and it was smaller than the hotel rooms in Hongkong. There was a 18inch tv with local channels mounted on the wall, a wardrobe, a bed, a study table (which i had to use to keep my bags). Toilet was small too and my initial response was disappointing. However, i stayed in the hotel for about 5 nites and everyday the rooms and toilet would be cleaned, an iron box provided with the table if required. Breakfast was continental with limited options but i did not expect much either. Plenty of restaurants, souvenirs shops, bars around which made the location more attractive. The ginger lady at the front desk was very helpful during our checkin & checkout. Overall, i dont mind staying in the hotel when on business, but might avoid if i travel with my wife. A big no if you are with kids and sharing a double room.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better, but elevator takes a long time! Be early for breakfast, else the room gets...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank majmani
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I wrote a review last October and here is my second review as I had just returned from London yesterday and stayed again at the Best Western Phoenix Hotel for 5 nights.

I stayed in a single room again this time on the 4th (top) floor. I found my room to be much smaller than the one I was in last time. I could barely move around but honestly, it didn't bother me that much and I've been in smaller hotel rooms (i.e. Tokyo). The carpet was a bit worn and there were some cracks here and there but was clean for the most part. Same amenities as before such as kettle, cups, coffee & tea, large bathrobe, tv, free wi-fi, etc. Although this time, the wi-fi connection was a bit iffy, could be because I was on the top floor. Breakfast was the same as before, I only went twice during my stay. It's free so I can't complain. The rest of the times, I was out the door early and didn't bother.

The best thing about this hotel is the location, it's close by 2 tube stations, a few steps away from a variety of shops, restaurants, a shopping mall, post office, grocery stores, etc. And it's only one subway stop away from Paddington Station which is really handly if you need to take the Heathrow Express trains.

Once again, I will come back again next time I am in London!

Room Tip: Choose a room on a lower floor if you want a strong wi-fi signal.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank PiperToronto
Reviewed 9 October 2012

This is a very good hotel for the stars, and what you pay for. It´s really well located near queensway, so you´ve got Pret a Manger, tons of restaurants, and markets plus 2 underground stations. The rooms are very small, but clean and look new, specially the bathroom, looks so white and clean...
The staff could be more attentive, but again it´s a 3 star, we cant´ask much. The breakfast is good, although it can´t get really packed early in the mornings.
The only bad thing is the wifi, only worked in the lobby, and the entrance, kinda complicated if you´re carrying heavy luggage (no ramps, tiny door). Definetely i would recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family