“Amazed at misleadingly high rating on Tripadvisor for this terrible, and terribly overpriced hotel”
Review of Cheshire Hotel

Cheshire Hotel
Ranked #998 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Be warned check out is 10 AM!!!! And staff could care less if you're sleeping after 10 AM with shouting on 'corridors'. Keys need to handed in at desk and rooms are cripplingly small. Shower was dirty. I'm shocked now that I see the rating being so high on here for such a poor and overpriced hotel - its trading completely on its location and nothing else

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Laochmor

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I had booked the hotel with Booking.com for three nights, had got a confirmation, and paid the whole stay when arriving on Sunday.

There was no hot water from Sunday through Monday morning, making showering impossible. On Monday afternoon the hot water was OK, but the central heating had started making a bad noise. It was turned off leaving my room without any heating. I got frustrated about all the problems and insisted to have compensation for the lack of hot water and heating. I reached an agreement for a discount with the reception manager and went shopping. When the hotel manager heard about the agreement, he called me and asked me to return to the hotel. He said they had reserved my room for other purposes from now on, although my reservation had been confirmed and I had paid for the whole stay. I was given 10 minutes to pack my belongings and get out of the hotel. Payment for the last two nights was returned but I got no compensation for the first night, although they said they had compensated all other guests because of the lack of hot water.

For complaining about obvious shortcomings of my room and the hotel, I was effectively thrown out at 17:30 in the evening without anywhere to stay. Luckily I had a friend living near London who could accommodate me.

Room Tip: Would not recommend this hotel at all.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Fintraveller57
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I needed a place to stay 3 nights in Central London, and this hotel's location is unbeatable. It is on Great Russell Street, a stone's throw from British Museum, and a 2-minute walk from Tottenham Court Road Station. But I couldn't afford the higher prices at any of the other hotels in the neighborhood. My only conditions were: an attached bathroom and a clean hotel.

Cheshire Hotel met both those conditions, and while the hotel is nothing to write home about, met my requirements fine.

It is clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Absolutely no complaints there.

The rooms are tiny as tiny can be. The bathroom is as large as the room, which was odd but I was grateful for it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family