Caledonian Sleeper Train
Review Highlights
A very un-magical journey

I love trains and have travelled all over the world on them. Having travelled to Scotland a few... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Greenmarble007
London, United Kingdom
New Trains!

Caledonian Sleeper runs two trains a night from Euston. The first one splits into three at... read more

Reviewed today

from US$ 168.53
from US$ 37.92
from US$ 95.30
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 September 2021 via mobile

Probably the worst train journey I have been on, twice now same cabin,staff were nice and friendly but its definitely isn't a sleeper train I was in a classic room over the wheels and the constant shaking was far to much,if you get coach D cabin 08 you are in for a very uncomfortable journey,the advertisement is soon wrong,its left me feeling unwell,not refreshed and ready for the day,seriously you are better off going by LNER a nice smooth journey.

Date of experience: September 2021
1  Thank Isanyname71
Reviewed 30 August 2021 via mobile

Positives: beds are comfortable, room is clean (albeit very small), you arrive in Scotland/London. We enjoyed our journey up (Euston - Edinburgh) but now realise that was because nothing was broken and we were lucky to get an accessible room which was much larger than the others.

Negatives: train is driven by an outlaw on the run, SO rocky and loud could feel every bump and screech as we hurtled along (you do get ear plugs and a mask though which are useful). You have to ask for the complimentary amenities, the WC on our carriage was out of order, the next one blocked, we had no water from our in-room wash basin and when we pressed the “call host” button it rang for 5 minutes before eventually ringing off. Best of all there’s no warning when you arrive (40 minutes early, which normally I’d be a fan of but not when you need to get dressed and ready) so the only warning you get is that it’s 6:28am, you’re stopped and you start hearing doors open and people getting off.

1  Thank CharliP_13
Reviewed 21 August 2021 via mobile

How would you feel if you’d pay way too much money for a poor service?

Where do I start? Let’s go with a biggest issue first. Our Caledonian Double cabin (which is also called Superior Double En-Suite Room on their website) had broken down (not working) thermostat. It was very uncomfortable feeling to take any body part from underneath duvet. I’ve reported this issue (there’s a button “Call Host” on the panel next to the window that I’ve used) to a contact person on the train, subsequently I was asked if turned the thermostat to the right, the hot temp section. No I did not, it’s a first time in my life I see a thermostat and I have no clue how to operate it. At least that I wanted to shout back but instead I calmly replied that Yes I turned thermostat’s knob both ways but it doesn’t do anything. I was told train technician will be notified about it. An hour later, no update (I get that it was 1.30am and maybe they felt uncomfortable knocking on passengers doors) and still freaking cold air is blowing from underneath our bed into the “superior room”. So I called the host again, this time train technician answered and came to our room shortly afterwards. After being asked again if I tried turning to knob on the thermostat….I replied politely that yes I did. The guy then went somewhere and returned after couple of minutes and said that he changed settings from summer to winter so it should help. But then he said he did the same thing the first time I rang (meaning it doesn’t work). I asked how long do I need to wait to notice any change, he replied that I should feel it already (I didn’t). I then asked when I shall call him if nothing’s changed, he said to do that after about 30 mins. I also
asked what will happen if we the heat is not on then, to which he said that they will probably try to move us to another room. At time it was already after 2am and we both were exhausted after walking around Edinburgh for the whole day and then having to deal with that. My and I partner have simply cuddled under duvet and somehow managed to fall asleep.

What a terrible experience it was to wake up though. Our “superior room” was still very much cold. It took a moment to muster enough courage to get from under the duvet and dress quickly. We both skipped shower (btw temp in shower area was even lower), we couldn’t handle it in such low temp. I woke up with symptoms of cold and I’m hope
to get rid of it this weekend. That wasn’t how we planned to spend the night before our full day of activities in London to finish off our well deserved and log awaited holiday. We were both more exhausted now then before “The journey of a night time” as it is romantically called on their website. I fell asleep couple of time during river cruise and we couldn’t fully enjoy all the things we planned to do. I will definitely five the Caledonian Sleeper customer line a call and complain and try to get some of our money back of which I will update here.

For the £400 we paid for this ride I’m sure we deserve much better service and ride quality. We were both ok with a tiny cabin and not being able to keep our legs straight (we’re 5’ 11” at highest) and having to be creative how to lay down (just like when we were younger). We didn’t mind the small size and odd placement of a window (above the sink to the right of the room instead in the central part). Toilet and shower combo was cute and we actually wanted to experience that. These things we kinda expected to happen. We took this train for experience and not for the luxury, but some things we won’t compromise on, working heating in the bedroom being on one them of course. And for that reason we won’t return to Caledonian Sleeper or rather Caledonian Reaper.

2  Thank Brysharth
Reviewed 20 August 2021 via mobile

The supposed luxury train journey is a complete rip-off. Cabins are tiny, windows (from which travellers are supposed to admire the view) are equally small and sit on top of a sink. There is currently no restaurant car (a selling point on the website) and the much more limited snack bar was not open as a result of “staffing difficulties”. Breakfast (not being offered in the restaurant car) is a choice between a pot of muesli or a bacon bap. For the price you would be much better off flying Scotland, staying in a nice hotel and catching a train from Glasgow for the final leg of the journey to Fort William. The website is an utter misdescription of what is actually on offer. Unbelievably disappointing for what was supposed to be a treat.

Reviewed 16 August 2021

This was the first time I had travelled to Scotland on the Sleeper train (we went from Euston to Glasgow), and there were pros and cons. I want to start by saying, I would do this again, but I can also see a few of the cons. It defo isn't the cheapest way to travel to Scotland, at first was a little surprised by the price - but we felt was a good option so we didn't have to travel and lose a full day doing so.

COVID restrictions were still in place, food cart was still closed, but you could order drinks/food to your room by using the call button. So is alot of time in quite a small room. In the communal areas they asked that every wore masks - for example when going to the toilets.

The cabins are rather small, not alot of room to move about when you both are in there (with your bags), BUT if you are happy to be in a small space, and are happy to spend most of the time in bed - it works ok. They have a mirror on the inside of the door to give the illusion of space - which helps a little - but it IS small.

The communal toilets are in each carriage (unsure how many Cabins to one toilet - is quite a few) so not far to travel to get there in the night, but quite noisy - so you wouldn't want to be right door to it. There was always toilet paper, and they were clean enough. (You can pay more for a en suite)

The staff were friendly, and check in on the platform was simple, and easy. We were told we could board at 10pm, but both ways we were not able to until 10:30pm (not a huge deal). The free coffee that they bring to you in the AM came literally as we were departing the train - would have been nicer to have these a little earlier so we could enjoy them on the train - but again staff were very friendly when drinks were delivered.

The beds were surprisingly comfortable, pillows and quilts were also good quality - but it is bunk beds - so be aware of this when booking if you are unable to climb to a top bunk (you can book different rooms so bare that in mind when you pick - we were fine with bunk beds). There is a sink in the room also.
The train does move quite quickly, which surprised me a little - so it does take some getting used to the rocking of the train. In parts it really does rock about quite alot - again we weren't massively phased by it. If you are a really light sleeper - this might be an issue for you. Also it is really quite loud, but they do give you ear plugs - so keep these handy!

As I said plenty of pros... and it is an experience, it isn't going to be the best night sleep of your life - but gets you from A to B - without the traffic of driving! We plan to travel this way again...

1  Thank MeganLouise2017