Caledonian Sleeper Train
Review Highlights
A very un-magical journey

I love trains and have travelled all over the world on them. Having travelled to Scotland a few... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Greenmarble007
London, United Kingdom
New Trains!

Caledonian Sleeper runs two trains a night from Euston. The first one splits into three at... read more

Reviewed today

from US$ 168.53
from US$ 37.92
from US$ 95.30
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 August 2021 via mobile

My wife booked this trip from London to Scotland for my 50th birthday treat, was really looking forward to it. Just a couple of hours before we boarded we got an email to say that at 4am we would have to leave train and get a coach for the rest of journey and was served breakfast ( if that’s what you call it ) at 3:15 am. Needless to say that if you have to leave train at 4 am then it’s not much of a sleeper train, we had plans booked for early morning so getting up so early ment we were too tired to do anything so it spoiled the rest of our trip, coach replacement was a joke , customers and staff arguing outside Edinburgh station as staff didn’t have a clue which coaches we were supposed to take . Considering the price paid, room was so small you couldn’t swing a cat , definitely not good for a couple, shower was a wet room so as soon as my wife used it it was pointy using the toilet, next time I’d rather go by plane

Date of experience: August 2021
1  Thank mele71
Reviewed 2 August 2021 via mobile

Where to even start, this is my first trip in nearly a year due to obvious reasons. I was really looking forward to sleeper experience and waking up refreshed in Inverness. Literally a few hours out they message saying that due to “operational reasons” they are stopping the train in Edinburgh and packing us on to buses. When we got to the station there was little to no communication, everyone had to wait in the cold. No social distancing on the buses as promised, no blankets or water was offered even though we have paid an arm and a leg for a “special” experience.

Based on reviews from the last three months this company will surely be out of business if they don’t clean up their act.

Only positives, beds are very comfortable (nice if you could use them all night) and the staff on the train were good (not their fault that the work for clowns)

Date of experience: August 2021
1  Thank scoan196
Reviewed 30 July 2021 via mobile

Overall a really nice way to travel, my girlfriend and I got the bunk bed room to ourselves and arrived in Edinburgh feeling really well rested.

Staff was super friendly, service overall was great, the beds were clean and I have no complaints.

Date of experience: June 2021
1  Thank Flavs99
Reviewed 29 July 2021 via mobile

Well we haven’t even set off and it’s already gone wrong. So much for the smart new club rooms with loo and shower. Phone call to say that our coach doesn’t even have any water - and we can’t use the showers in Glasgow either - so we are going to arrive dirty and dishevelled at a family wedding despite paying a lot of money to travel there. They really do not care either.

Date of experience: June 2021
1  Thank AndiCorr
Reviewed 27 July 2021

It is very sad to have to write this review, but unfortunately we feel we owe it to others to warn them against traveling with the Caledonian Sleeper as we lost a lot of money and sleep.

For context: We love trains, and we are not rich folks with particularly high standards. We have traveled far and wide and can handle a fair bit of discomfort for the sake of an experience. We booked a club room for the experience of going on a sleeper train from London to Fort William. It costs an arm and a leg (particularly when compared to the alternatives like high speed trains or air travel which are much faster too) but our trip to Scotland is short so we are treating ourselves. (We work full time in London with very few annual leave days - it's like gold dust to us as I am sure it is to others looking to use this train).

We leave London on schedule and settle in to our room - very excited to set up a comfy space for our epic train journey. We struggle to fall asleep initially, takes an hour or two. Just as we manage to drift off there is a loud banging on our door. A member of staff rattles off the bad news with no remorse: we will not be traveling to Fort William anymore, we will instead be stopping in Glasgow in the wee hours of the morning where a coach will pick you up and take you the rest of the way to Fort William. The excuse is staff shortages due to Covid. Bear in mind - the world has been functioning with this pandemic for a number of months now, contingency plans are in place across all industries - this is not a valid excuse in my book.

This means we have to get packed up again, get dressed etc. So we do not sleep at all for the rest of the night. Our room was supposed to include breakfast, coffee etc (which looks lovely on their website under 'normal' circumstances) but we get given two cups of boiling water and a single sachet of instant coffee each. We each get a bacon roll too. I had a bite of mine - tasted funny so I open the (stale) roll to find pale floppy raw looking fatty bacon which made me retch. Could not eat the rest.

I got food poisoning from that one bite of bacon roll. Others from the train seemed to have suffered the same fate. The bus was long on the winding mountain passes leading to Fort William and I was very unwell. We hoped to arrive in Fort William rested so we could go for a hike but instead we had to sit, grimly, and wait for our B&B check-in time at 4pm so we could go sleep. It was a long, exhausting and utterly dissappointing journey. We had to cancel most of our plans in Fort William due to exhaustion and illness. Needless to say we cancelled our return tickets on the Caledonian.

We did some research into this and it would appear that Caledonian are doing this very regularly indeed. This was confirmed to us by our host in Fort William. Much more regularly than what could be fairly excused as fluke. It's only a theory of mine - but I believe they are doing this deliberately to increase profits - selling expensive tickets and then downgrading the customers to travel by coach instead of the special experience they saved up money and leave for... We did receive an apology by e-mail and a partial refund, but we won't get our leave days back and the refund did not bring our expenditure remotely close to what we would have spent if we took a high speed train or a flight.

If you work taxing jobs like we do, your leave is critical for your mental health - and this trip left me feeling down and defeated thanks to Caledonian.

Save yourself a lot of pain, time and money. Travel a different way.

Date of experience: July 2021