“Perfect place to stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Antwerp, Belgium
“Perfect place to stay”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here a couple of years ago on my first trip to London. At that time, we stayed in a superior room (I think) in mid winter. This time coming in April, the prices were higher, so I elected to stay in a bunk bed room with my 18 year old daughter. They had warned me that it was 'compact' and they weren't kidding. If my daughter hadn't been carrying almost everything she own and her guitar, on her way back to uni, it would have worked beautifully.
The bathroom is bright and clean, with nice toiletries. the towels are nice and big, too, with the added pleasure of a heated towel bar. The single bed was comfortable and felt much larger than a single.
We arrived before our room was ready and left everything at the front desk. By the time we returned, our bags were in the room, which was a relief. We stocked up on some breakfast goodies, knowing that there was a fridge and microwave, along with a water boiler.
We asked for dinner recommendations locally and they suggested an Italian restaurant nearby as well as a Greek restaurant. They both looked good, and we chose the Italian and weren't disappointed.
Upon leaving, the man on duty carried the heavy bag for us and also put it into the taxi. I should add that he also called a taxi for us when we realized that the underground station we needed, was not equipped with either escalator or an elevator.
I won't even bother looking for hotels in London with this one so convenient. Coming over from Europe on the Eurostar, we caught the Picadilly line west to Earls Cross and walked about 1/2 km to the hotel.

Room Tip: If you like to have windows open, ask for a room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Joan_in_Belgium
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here in March 2012 for a short business trip, and it was just fine. Although the room was very small, it was also quite comfortable, with a good working television (flat-screen), comfy bed, desk space, and relatively spacious bathroom. There was a candy and soda machine on my floor, which was also quite convenient. I left my suitcase at the front desk after checking out to pick up later that afternoon, which was no problem. the desk staff were very helpful and friendly, happy to show me where the nearest restaurants were and gave me a free map to help with getting around. The hotel is only one block from the Earl's court tube station (one of the few tube stops with lifts, which helped a lot when travelling with a large suitcase!). Easy and cheap to get back and forth from Heathrow airport, just take the Piccadilly line direct from Heathrow to Earl's Court (or going the other way).

Room Tip: There is a lift, so any floor should be fine. I stayed on the first floor which was very convenient...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank AquaBlu
Reading
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here with my partner on Saturday and was really impressed. I was running the London Marathon and wanted a place where I could prepare my own breakfast in the morning. The kitchen facility was perfect for my pre-race porridge and fruit and meant that I could eat immediately rather than having to wait in a hotel restaurant. We had a ground floor room directly behind reception and I was a bit worried about noise from other guests returning home as I needed a good nights sleep but this didn't prove to be a problem what so ever, really good soundproofing. The hotel is about 5 mins walk from Gloucester Road tube station (rather more after a 26.2 run) and allowed easy access around town. I would definately recommend Base2Stay and intend to return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BigHilda23
Cool
Reviewed 23 April 2012

As a preface, I travel to a limited degree to review rock concerts, and have begun to include hotel and resort reviews as well, which I am republishing here is modified form.

This review is for base2stay Kensington in London, England during my England/France Trip (December 2011).

Room Type/Class: Superior King/Twin
Date: December 18-22, 2011
Overall Rating: 4/5

This was part of my trip to London, Paris, and Liverpool for a series of concerts, and I was staying in London for the first and last legs of my trip (the latter being 4 nights). The hotel is called the base2stay Kensington, but to me it "feels" like you are actually in Earl's Court - that is the metro station that it is closest to as well (maybe a 5 minute walk).

I selected this hotel based on my very favorable experience staying at the base2stay Liverpool a year earlier, and also because I was scheduled to see a concert at Earl's Court (though it was ultimately canceled due to health problems with the performer).

As with the Liverpool property, the Kensington can be classified as 1) newer (or at least newly renovated), 2) clean, and 3) economical.

As has been my experience with the base2stay staff at the other location, the staff at the front desk were wonderful, and helpful with directions and suggestions.

The "Superior King/Twin" class room was large by UK standards, but I would say about the same size as the "Large Double" classed room I stayed at the night before a the base2stay in Liverpool.

The room I stayed it was nicely decorated, clean, and modern in appearance. There was a fairly nice bed, desk area, and LCD TV. The bathroom is also fairly large by standards, with sink, toilet, and shower over bathtub. As I mentioned in the review for the other property, the same caveat applies here - exercise caution getting in and out of the tub/shower. It is at an usual height with nothing to grab onto, so having an accidental slip or spill is very possible.

The base2stay Kensington has decent WiFi connectivity (for UK properties).

Overall a nice stay, though I would recommend looking at routes in and out of the Earl's Court metro station to see if it is the best place to stay, based on your activities. There are more centralized places to stay in London, and there is not as much to do in and around the hotel (though there are fast food type establishments and pharmacies/convenience stores near the metro).

I would recommend it if you are doing things in and around Earl's Court and adjacent areas, but would probably recommend alternative hotels if you are visiting London and doing a lot of sightseeing - there are better areas which would serve as a better "home base" as well as offer more things to do in and around the hotel (walking distance). So for me, the biggest drawback is the location. Having said that, reading other reviews on TripAdvisor, many of the other reviewers count the location as one of the biggest positives. For me, Earl's Court is one of my least favorite metro stations - I don't like the routing as much and I found that for some reason while I was staying there (four days) there were a lot of delayed trains.

Room Tip: Be cautious getting into and out of the tub/shower.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Rock-Subculture
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed here after it was recommended to us by a friend. It's in a fantastic spot in Earls Court. It's in a quiet spot yet still two seconds from the tube and lots of buzzing little restaurants. The rooms are clean and basic but perfect for a London weekend, it has all you need. It's very modern inside and good value. Friendly staff too. Would definitely stay here again. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2012