New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands

Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands
Ranked #528 of 1,077 Hotels in London
UK
“Very basic, wouldn't recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was booked into this hotel for one night on a business trip. It is 2 stops on the tube away from Canary Wharf, but there are better hotels, closer that I'd chose if booking myself. The hotel is on a main road and seemed to be between a residential and disused industrial area. The best thing about it was Pepenero Italian restaurant just along the street. There is also a small convenience store next door.

The room was very tired looking with the curtain hanging off the rail and cup stains on each of the surfaces. However, the bathroom was quite spacious for typical Holiday Inn Express rooms, and clean, though the shower curtain looked tired and in need of replacing. The bed was comfortable and I was given a room at the back of the building so although it overlooked the car park and appartments opposite, it was quiet.

Breakfast was a limited self-service buffet of cereal, toast, croissants and a small hot choice of sausages, scrambled egg and beans. I wouldn't chose to breakfast here, but there's really nowhere else close by unless you take the tube.

Was OK for one night, but I wouldn't chose to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SHAUN F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Casey100,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative review of your stay here at the London Royal Docklands Hotel.

We really value your comments as it is our goal to make everybody’s stay at the hotel a great stay. We really pride ourselves on providing a really friendly service and keeping a very clean Hotel.

This is why I was disappointed and surprised to read your comments about your room. We really take your comments it to heart and I thank you again for such great constructive comments that are helping us to better ourselves.

Shaun Fitzgerald
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

Arrived to a hectic reception. My reservation could not be found. Was given a twin room but had booked a double. Was told the hotel was full so had to sleep in a single bed which was uncomfortable with thin duvet. Could hear everything (and I mean everything!) through the wall. Basic bathroom with smelly drains. I telephoned reception and asked for an iron and board and was told I could have one if I came and got it because "we don't do room service" the breakfast is very basic self service, hot food consists of awful looking scrambled eggs, cremated sausages and watery looking beans all sitting under heatlamps. It was just poor in every respect. Was moved to a double room the following day but found the noise from the road unbearable so had terrible sleep. Would not recommend.

Stayed April 2012
SHAUN F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Intrepidexplorersid

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hotel,

I’m sorry you did not seem to enjoy your stay at the Hotel. I can’t help but feel that your being a bit harsh in your judgement and maybe that is due to the fact we were unable to provide you with a double room. I suspect your booking may have been for a standard room which does not specify double or twin bedded rooms. It is always our goal to please our guests and I am sorry you felt let down on this occasion.

We have certainly taken your comments to heart and will endeavour as always to provide a great service for our guests and visitors.

Thank you once again for your comments and we hope that you do choose to stay with us again.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel because the price was cheaper than other hotel in Canary Wharf. The room is quite small, still comfortable.Breakfast is average. It is just about 3 minutes walk from Canning Town Station but there was not any thing interesting around the hotel. There was only one Pizza restaurant. Using Jubilee line is the fastest way to get into central London, about 20 minutes, but if you use DLR, it will really really long. The nearest interesting place to the hotel would be the Greenwich area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Itthinan A
Dear Kibibo,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hotel, I’m pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. You did seem a bit negative about the location of the Hotel. Although we are close to the Greenwich. At Greenwich there are a great number of sites to see and visit. Just one stop from the tube station and you’re at the O2 arena which is full of shops cinemas and restaurants and also the Cutty Sark exhibition has also re-opened. We are just 8-10 mins from Stratford and the recently opened Westfield shopping Centre. There is the Excel Exhibition Centre which is just 10-15 mins walk or again a short ride on the DLR. Also most major London sites are on a direct Tube Line (Jubilee ) within 15-20 mins ride on the tube.
I hope that the next time your here you’ll ask our friendly reception team who will help you with any questions and will even provide suggestions on where to visit.
Thank you again for your comments and the team and I look forward to you visiting again.
Naples, Campania, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I just want to say a huge thank you to the staff of the Holiday Inn Express!! No request made was a problem. They helped us with directions finding our way around town, printed boarding passes for us, helped order delivery when we arrived at 11:00 pm from our flight starving and even heated pizza that we brought back to the room and plated for us. The staff goes above and beyond which is refreshing in a time when you usually feel as if the staff is doing you a favor by letting you stay in their hotel.

The location is less than 5 min walk to the tube. Take the Jubliee line to Canning Town Station. When exiting station, follow signs for the busses. Once you exit the bus station, walk about a block and HIE is on left hand side of street. You can reach central London in about 25 mins. There is really nothing in the neighborhood except a small convenience store and Italian restaurant next to the hotel but you are in London to see London!

The room was exceptionally clean. I think we lucked out with space (had an end room 101). We had a cut out in the corner that the sofa bed pulled out for our daughter so we had plenty of room. The other rooms we walked by didn't appear to have that much space. Bed was not the greatest but we lived.

There is a little bar in the hotel that is open until 2 am. We met some great people one night and had a few pints. It was nice to relax in the hotel and prices were very reasonable.

Breakfast was great. Sausages, eggs, beans (it's a British thing, we Americans don't understand), toast, cereal, fruit, yogurt, fresh crossiants, etc. We were able to get our fill each morning that kept us going well past lunch time.

If you are travelling to London on a budget and can't afford to stay in central London then I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough! If we are ever fortunate enough to return to London, we will definitely be back :-)

Room Tip: We had room 101 on the end and it was very spacious.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SHAUN F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Michelle M,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and full review of your stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Royal Docklands.

It makes me very proud of my team to read such comments about them and how our guest’s really appreciate the effort we try to make.

Your comments are extremely useful and valuable to us as they really guide us in how we are doing and although we may not always get it 100% right all the time, it is our goal to do so.

My team and I thank you again for your kind comments look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.

leeds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed here for two nights April 10th -12th. Room was fine, no 106, first floor family room, on the road side. Sofa bed was set up for our 5 year old, which was fine for her, and possiblilly another child if needed. Room was clean with enough space.

Our main problems were the pillows and hotel noise..... I do worry for the Olympians who (as the TV adverts state) will be sleeping there, as the pillows they offer are like ather like a nothing I have ever had to sleep on before. We had 1 each, and it was rather like a hard rectangle in a cover. We asked for more pillows the next day which were exactly the same. I thought pillows were soft, squishy, and comforting. Be warned, take your own if you stay here. The noise was not from the traffic, but the heating system. It was a horrible generator type noise, that once awoke you, kept you awake. It wasn't only our room who was awoken. We heard the room next door leave the room to obviously complain. When we reported it at check out we was told it was the lifts and the road traffic, when we rejected that respose, he said it may well have been the heating, and would contact maintainence. Which didn't really help our lack of sleep, not what you want when you are in London for a day of exhausting sight seeing.

We will not stay here again because of this, when you pay a good price for a hotel room, the least you expect is a restful nights sleep, we picked this hotel as it was out of the busy city and its road noise. I think a hotel at Kings Cross would have been more restful.

Breakfast is plentiful, but you will struggle to get a table from 8.30, many guests were eating off coffee tables in the lounge area. Lots of choice, and all hot food was hot, and as much as you wanted.

Very near Canning Town Station, with a very easy safe walk.

Room Tip: we had no issue with road noise, ask for a room away from the heating system if you would like to ac...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vanessa l
Dear Vanessa I,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Royal Docklands.

Your comments are extremely useful and valuable to us, I am so sorry that you were disturbed during your stay by a noise in the radiator system and that you found the pillows to be uncomfortable. We have taken your comments to heart and will ensure that these issues are resolved.

I hope you lets us show you that we have heard you and allow us to prove that by staying again with us.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.