“Not really close to Central London”

Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands
Ranked #552 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Bangkok, Thailand
“Not really close to Central London”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel because the price was cheaper than other hotel in Canary Wharf. The room is quite small, still comfortable.Breakfast is average. It is just about 3 minutes walk from Canning Town Station but there was not any thing interesting around the hotel. There was only one Pizza restaurant. Using Jubilee line is the fastest way to get into central London, about 20 minutes, but if you use DLR, it will really really long. The nearest interesting place to the hotel would be the Greenwich area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Itthinan A
SHAUN F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Kibibo,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hotel, I’m pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. You did seem a bit negative about the location of the Hotel. Although we are close to the Greenwich. At Greenwich there are a great number of sites to see and visit. Just one stop from the tube station and you’re at the O2 arena which is full of shops cinemas and restaurants and also the Cutty Sark exhibition has also re-opened. We are just 8-10 mins from Stratford and the recently opened Westfield shopping Centre. There is the Excel Exhibition Centre which is just 10-15 mins walk or again a short ride on the DLR. Also most major London sites are on a direct Tube Line (Jubilee ) within 15-20 mins ride on the tube.
I hope that the next time your here you’ll ask our friendly reception team who will help you with any questions and will even provide suggestions on where to visit.
Thank you again for your comments and the team and I look forward to you visiting again.
Shaun Fitzgerald
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Naples, Campania, Italy
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I just want to say a huge thank you to the staff of the Holiday Inn Express!! No request made was a problem. They helped us with directions finding our way around town, printed boarding passes for us, helped order delivery when we arrived at 11:00 pm from our flight starving and even heated pizza that we brought back to the room and plated for us. The staff goes above and beyond which is refreshing in a time when you usually feel as if the staff is doing you a favor by letting you stay in their hotel.

The location is less than 5 min walk to the tube. Take the Jubliee line to Canning Town Station. When exiting station, follow signs for the busses. Once you exit the bus station, walk about a block and HIE is on left hand side of street. You can reach central London in about 25 mins. There is really nothing in the neighborhood except a small convenience store and Italian restaurant next to the hotel but you are in London to see London!

The room was exceptionally clean. I think we lucked out with space (had an end room 101). We had a cut out in the corner that the sofa bed pulled out for our daughter so we had plenty of room. The other rooms we walked by didn't appear to have that much space. Bed was not the greatest but we lived.

There is a little bar in the hotel that is open until 2 am. We met some great people one night and had a few pints. It was nice to relax in the hotel and prices were very reasonable.

Breakfast was great. Sausages, eggs, beans (it's a British thing, we Americans don't understand), toast, cereal, fruit, yogurt, fresh crossiants, etc. We were able to get our fill each morning that kept us going well past lunch time.

If you are travelling to London on a budget and can't afford to stay in central London then I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough! If we are ever fortunate enough to return to London, we will definitely be back :-)

Room Tip: We had room 101 on the end and it was very spacious.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
SHAUN F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Michelle M,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and full review of your stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Royal Docklands.

It makes me very proud of my team to read such comments about them and how our guest’s really appreciate the effort we try to make.

Your comments are extremely useful and valuable to us as they really guide us in how we are doing and although we may not always get it 100% right all the time, it is our goal to do so.

My team and I thank you again for your kind comments look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.

leeds
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed here for two nights April 10th -12th. Room was fine, no 106, first floor family room, on the road side. Sofa bed was set up for our 5 year old, which was fine for her, and possiblilly another child if needed. Room was clean with enough space.

Our main problems were the pillows and hotel noise..... I do worry for the Olympians who (as the TV adverts state) will be sleeping there, as the pillows they offer are like ather like a nothing I have ever had to sleep on before. We had 1 each, and it was rather like a hard rectangle in a cover. We asked for more pillows the next day which were exactly the same. I thought pillows were soft, squishy, and comforting. Be warned, take your own if you stay here. The noise was not from the traffic, but the heating system. It was a horrible generator type noise, that once awoke you, kept you awake. It wasn't only our room who was awoken. We heard the room next door leave the room to obviously complain. When we reported it at check out we was told it was the lifts and the road traffic, when we rejected that respose, he said it may well have been the heating, and would contact maintainence. Which didn't really help our lack of sleep, not what you want when you are in London for a day of exhausting sight seeing.

We will not stay here again because of this, when you pay a good price for a hotel room, the least you expect is a restful nights sleep, we picked this hotel as it was out of the busy city and its road noise. I think a hotel at Kings Cross would have been more restful.

Breakfast is plentiful, but you will struggle to get a table from 8.30, many guests were eating off coffee tables in the lounge area. Lots of choice, and all hot food was hot, and as much as you wanted.

Very near Canning Town Station, with a very easy safe walk.

Room Tip: we had no issue with road noise, ask for a room away from the heating system if you would like to ac...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank vanessa l
Dear Vanessa I,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Royal Docklands.

Your comments are extremely useful and valuable to us, I am so sorry that you were disturbed during your stay by a noise in the radiator system and that you found the pillows to be uncomfortable. We have taken your comments to heart and will ensure that these issues are resolved.

I hope you lets us show you that we have heard you and allow us to prove that by staying again with us.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.

Sheffield
Reviewed 14 April 2012

It was clean, tidy and good for money. Very close to a tube/bus/DLR and easy access to London centre. Especially visiting a gig in the O2, very easy and nice view over the river.
Unfortunately, we had a strange booking confirmation which had no check-in/check-out time written down and we also did not get told what time we needed to check out. Having done sight seeing on the last day of stay, we missed the check-out time by a couple of hours and had to pay. It is our fault that we missed it, and we are fully aware of it, but the staff was not sympathetic and slightly diffensive about how the person on check-in would have definately told us the check out time, although the staff dealing with the customer next to us at the time of our check out did not tell them the check out time either.
Because the reservation sheet wasn't being kept, although we proved that the time was not written on from email attachment, we felt slightly accused that we were lying about the reservation sheet too. So it was a shame that we had to feel that way at the end.
Anyway, I suppose considering our money spent, it was pleasent enough stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Liketotravel209,

I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry to hear that you felt disappointed by the late checkout charge. I have observed the reception staff checking in guests many times and explaining the check out times does tend to get mentioned. It’s a part of the check in procedure. However that does not mean they did not fail to mention the timings to you or others. I am also sorry that we chose to be rather defensive about being challenged on the matter and we should be professional enough to able balance the discussion.

In all the rooms we have a Directory of Services folder in which the departure time is specified. We do understand that visitors want to make the most of their sometime all to brief visits to London and Late departure times can be arranged in advance.

I hope that you choose to stay with us again and we make sure to arrange with you a later departure time.

My team and thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.

Leicester
Reviewed 12 April 2012

If are visiting London for the first time and hoping for beautiful views of the capital this hotel is probably not for you. However, this hotel is excellent for an overnight stay if you are looking for excellent value and transport links. Easy to find by car, plenty of parking, clean comfortable rooms, superb transport links and good breakfast. I visited with my sons and will definitely use this hotel when we next visit London and need a crash pad!

• Stayed April 2012
SHAUN F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear LizBix,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docklands Hotel.

I’m please you enjoyed your stay with us and that you’re happy to come back and stay with us. I’m sorry didn’t have a great view of the London. You must have had a room facing the back car park which I agree isn’t the best view. When next you visit, if you ask for a double room facing the front of the Hotel you will get a good view of Canary Wharf and the O2 Arena. The view is especially nice at night time as all the Buildings have really nice night lighting.

Thank you for your kind comments and the Team and I look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.