New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #172 of 1,078 Hotels in London
London, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Great room, superb breakfast and fab lunch. Pricey? Sure, but you get what you pay for. Would stay again

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank GoodFood-Wine
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

The Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park used to be our hotel of choice whenever we were visiting london, and we always took a really good room or suite. We love the MO group with the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok being our favourite hotel in the world (nearly 30 years regularly visiting). Among the many vistits to the MO Hyde Park we spent a two week period there a few summers ago and it was during that time we decided that this Mandarin wasn't what it used to be, there were lots of niggardly things, mostly all to do with service, but also it had lost something of it's class/style for us, and so we switched to the newly opened Savoy and were very happy. This latest trip to London was just a single night and so we decided to give the Mandarin one more go, but we were very disappointed...
We arrived at the hotel at 15.15h and the room was unavailable, after an upsetting amount of aggravation, because we had a late appointment to attend in London for which we needed to wash and change, we were given a room and an upgrade, which was very nice but... they had already upset us which didn't bode well for our meeting, and to top it all they later missed our turn down service. We also had to wait for a considerable amount of time for our cases to be collected when we were leaving, and we rang down with plenty of notice.
Also after our dinner that evening we returned to the hotel with our guests for drinks... again we can't believe what met us, a bar full of noise, shouting, and drunk people. I guess they are aiming for a different age group and market to us; just not what we consider five star, we will definitely not be returning.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AEW22
St Albans, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental with my husband and two kids (14 & 11) over the weekend for my birthday. I got there before the rest of my family as I had a spa treatment booked for the afternoon. When I was checking in, the receptionist asked me if our stay was for any special occasion so I said it was my birthday (it was my birthday on that day). When I got back from the spa, there were few cakes, and a bottle of champagne in a ice bucket all laid out in the room. My husband said he did not mention anything about my birthday when he booked the whole thing so I thought it was a very kind gesture by the reception. We had two rooms connecting and they were very clean and the bed was amazing, so comfortable. We had dinner booked at "Dinner by Heston Blumenthal" in the hotel and it was a very nice restaurant. Service was excellent. After the meal, they brought out little cakes out and a "Happy Birthday" written on my plate. It was done very discreetly and again, my husband did not mention that it was my birthday as I don't like the whole "Happy Birthday" done at restaurants. It was a nice little touch.
I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to have a special weekend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kaymet
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

It's not very often that I post a flattering review of a hotel but exceptions need to be made and Mandarin took all the efforts into making my stay exceptional!

Having stayed at Jumeirah Carlton and the W in London, I thought I would give MO a try and was I glad I did. Compared to most other hotels in this league and others at Knightsbridge, Mandarin is head and shoulders above the rest.

Their attention to detail is astounding as it their anticipation of guests needs. The rooms are immaculate, service levels as good as East Asia (most other hotels in London have no idea what service means), and their personal touch seals the deal.

Some of the touches that made my trip truly memorable - B&O TV with 100's of channels, Two easy to use telephones in the room (one with wireless handset), Easy to reach charging sockets aptly located at the work station/ desk (which also folds out for extra space), excellent iPod/phone dock with built in Alarm/ Radio, placing of bookmarks in my books, excellent toiletries, and a fully stocked bar with choice of glasses including a fully filled ice bucket in the fridge at all times!

Whilst checking out I was asked if there was any other way that the hotel could assist me with my trip/ travel/ anything at all. Now that's FIVE Star all the way...

I've since received a follow up mail to the generic survey most hotels send out and this time their resident manager actually responded to my recommended improvement areas with what the hotel had planned in the future. Kudos to a team that's been trained to excel in all areas!

Room Tip: Rooms within the central area of the hotel face the adjoining building, pay a bit more and stay in o...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank il0ve2travel005
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

This quirky hotel in Knightsbridge was beyond our wildest expectations! We may have paid for it, but the service was a level that I have never experienced before. My husband and I arrived from a long haul flight around 10:30 a.m. We got to the Mandarin Oriental around noon. Our requested room (8th floor with Harvey Nichols view) was not ready--as we had expected. We were treated by check-in to drinks in the bar until the room was ready. The room was a corner with a view like we requested but also a view of the London Eye and Big Ben. The room was huge, the bed very comfortable - didn't regret not bringing my own pillow. The tv is a bit large but top of the line. Everything very clean. It took a couple of days for housekeeping to realize that we wanted face cloths every day. There are no ice machines or vending - not really missed. The ice bucket was filled daily and placed in he mini refrigerator every day and you could ask for more. You can actually move things around in the frig and not be charged--stocked up on sodas and water from Harvey Nichols. There are NO housekeeping carts cluttering up the halls ever. Treated to drinks again when the bartender in the bar didn't see us sitting in an obscure area. Again service beyond compare. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating! The toilet was a bit temperamental but no real adjustment required and I finally learned how to step up and over the high tub/shower side. The concierge and bellmen were enjoyable to talk with every day. Couldn't have been more helpful! Our London experience was made more wonderful by our stay here!!!!! And I loved the creaky wooden floors!!!!

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple