“Loved and hated in equal measure”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel 41

Hotel 41
Ranked #1 of 1,090 Hotels in London
“Loved and hated in equal measure”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband precisely described my feelings about this hotel when he said "I loved and hated it in equal measure".

Hotel 41 has many admirable aspects. Obviously the location is fantastic. The decor is marvellous, with beautiful wall coverings, rich woods and thoughtfully chosen accessories. The bedroom which we stayed in was very well appointed with every need anticipated. We slept soundly in great comfort in the huge bed. I particularly enjoyed the wonderful rain shower. The linens, bathrobes and towels were all of the most luxurious quality. They provide, as frequently mentioned, lots of lovely snacks. We were given a beautiful cake.

Hotel 41 disappointed us with their style of service. I appreciate that this is converse to many other reviews. I really feel that the service appeals to a particular type of person. Sadly, it didn't suit us. We work in a customer serviced based environment and I strongly feel that excellent customer service is that which matches itself precisely to the individual. I felt that many staff members were trying too hard. Each and every time we entered the Executive Lounge we were faced with endless questions. We are polite people but rather private and I think that if you are well versed in customer service then this should have been obvious.

On the one occasion that we requested a service it wasn't fulfilled. I asked on two occasions for dirty dishes to be removed from the room. In the end we slept overnight with the dirty dishes. This intensely annoyed me. I didn't complain as I didn't want the negativity of such an action to affect our short stay.

There were two members of staff who I think are really excellent proponents of fantastic customer service. Magda who looked after so much unobtrusively with a lovely smile. A young lady who served us drinks on two of our evenings is a worthy representative of the establishment. She anticipated every need without the facile chatter which others engaged in.

I'm sorry to report the bad as well as the good but I feel that TripAdvisor is an excellent resource for travellers and one must always endeavour to be objective and accurate. I really feel that a lot of the other reviews relating to this hotel concentrate on the more superficial aspects.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
20 Thank MumC1977
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at Hotel 41, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of 41 on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your time at the hotel and appreciated the amenities provided, as well as the service you received from Magda and Komal. However, I was sorry to learn that in general the style of service provided by my team was not to your taste. Here at 41, our aim is to provide a personalised service without being intrusive. We receive so much positive feedback on the quality of service and calibre of our staff here at 41, that it is disappointing to learn that this was not to your individual preference. I do hope that the above did not detract too much from an otherwise enjoyable short stay with us.

I was very concerned to read that your request for removal of dishes from your room was not fulfilled immediately and have personally conveyed your disappointment to my team. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I do hope that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to 41 in person in the not too distant future and would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

We just stayed in Hotel 41 for two nights and enjoyed our stay very much ! The room was big enough (compared to other hotel rooms in London), location is great, people are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is good! Nicole and Riccardo

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nicoleds
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

41 Hotel is a small boutique hotel a couple of blocks away from Victoria station and Buckingham Palace. The room size is very good for european standards. Very clean too. The staff is extremely attentive. They were really nice! Breakfast was very good. I think this is a special hotel for couples, very quiet, private and comfortable. I highly recommend it and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Oswaldo M
Mauritius
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

What a fantastic experience and pleasure to stay at 41.The Staff excelled in every way and by far one of the finest hotels.I travel the world and am yet to find a hotel to match 41.Well done to the Management and staff.Keep up the brilliant service and professionalism.
Regards
Mike Coburn

Room Tip: I have stayed in most rooms but really loved the room with the mezzanine bedroom.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Mike C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

As a seasoned traveller I have spent many nights in London's five star hotels. Having lived in London for the last four years I decided to treat myself to a stay at this wonderful establishment. In my university years I used to travel through Victoria quite frequently and came across 41 at one point though never really thought about staying then. Upon arrival at the property which is very well situated with easy access to public transport and an abundant selection of sights and museums(In my eighteen years here I finally made it to see Buckingham Palace). When you enter the property you are greeted by a warm and friendly member of staff who will let the reception staff know (upstairs on the fifth floor). Soon you are whisked to the executive lounge (do not let the name deceive you as it is pure indulgence) where you are taken through check in, offered a lovely refreshing drink and informed about the refreshments provided complementary throughout the day(how decaden), the honesty bar as well as the history of the building which takes you back into the historical era of the British glory. You are then shown to your room which is so well thought out that everything I have ever felt necessary from every hotel room I have been to was all available right there in the heart of London. The rooms are so well appointed with fluffy bathrobes, a fully stocked mini bar, shoe polish service and anything else you can think of I am sure you will find it in the room.
In addition to that as it was my partner's birthday they had even placed a bottle of bubbly in the room and a lovely handwritten card. Just as we thought the surprises were over we were delivered a lovely assortment of macaroons and petits fours as soon as we arrived in the room. We were very impressed and to say the least thrilled and exhilirated. The first evening we went out to watch a musical and then when we got back we were informed that they had tried to surprise us with a cake but the "Do Not Disturb" sign was left on accidentally (oops) so they were unable to leave the cake in the room to surprise us. Once again we were speechless.
Breakfast on the weekends is served until very late and this again exceeded our expectations when we ordered our full english breakfasts we were surprised by the tantalising tastes that it presented. In conclusion I have to say that although I would rather not have left at all I would definitely save up again for a retreat at 41, enjoy the fully attentive, kind and considerate staff who always seem three steps ahead of your thoughts. If you think that you've seen the best service try 41 and let them surprise you. Enjoy it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple