“Faded glory” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #386 of 1,089 Hotels in London
NYC
“Faded glory”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

While the location is outstanding, what was (I have stayed there two other times since about 2005) a boutique treat has become rather sadly worn. Carpets threadbare, paint a mess, everything just tatty. Double rooms are fine space wise. However a single is not just small, but so badly arranged that it gives a new definition to "no room to swing a cat". With very little work they could make the singles great innovative rooms. Clearly a hotel for quick one night business trip not a longer stays for a tourist. Free wifi always a plus.

Room Tip: Low floor back rooms are over a very loud vent system.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Like most London boutique hotels, space is at a premium. But this place makes the most of what it has with clever furnishings (& mirrors). The rooms are clean & newly-furnished. Location is brilliant; centre of London city minutes from Tottenham Court tube station & next to the British Museum

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank jyunkim
MadelenTobiasson, Front Office Manager at My Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at myhotel Bloomsbury during your recent visit to London and for taking the time to respond to our survey. We appreciate all feedback from our guests, both positive and negative, as it allows us to target areas that might require our attention.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and I agree with you that the location of the Hotel is great with many tourist attractions, shops and restaurants close by.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

myRegards
Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I heard about this place several years ago as a design hotel and finally had a chance to try it.

Well, i guess it shows that design hotels suffer wear and tear as well. I though the room looked tatty- cheap Ikea-style furniture, lots of scratches everywhere, cracks in the sink, etc. Need a good lick of paint.

On top of that my room and bathroom were icy cold (it was 6C outside) and I had to have reception send somebody to locate the switch for the bathroom heater (hidden in a closet- of course!) The windows are single glazing (cold and lots of street noise!) but the most ridiculous thing was there were no curtains! Some wooden blinds but they don't help at all in keeping the daylight out- don't plan on getting any sleep if you arrive jet-lagged and want to take a nap!

on the plus side, the bar/resto looked nice (but smelled of deep-fryer) and the location is good, close to NoHo (Chalotte Street) and Bloomsbury.

The clinger was of course the checkout- when I was asked, as often happens, whether I wanted to pay in pounds or in my home currency. This question is really code for 'can we charge you a little more?' as if you pay in your home currency the rate will be unfavourable. I always hate it when they try to brazenly to take advantage of you like this.

Overall i can't say I'd stay again- I will keep looking for a hotel base in central London.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

We are currently undergoing a refurbishment in the hotel which will be completed by July. We are re-painting the rooms, changing our lobby, bar and restaurant areas. Our maintenance team are also checking that all rooms have curtains to ensure you can block out the sunlight in the morning.

In regards to the check out, if the card machine asks if the charge should be in pounds or in the local currency for the guest we must ask the guest what they prefer in order to precede the check out process. We do not add on any commission and we are offering the best available exchange rate on the day. Sometimes the bank that is used by the guest adds on a charge for the guest to use their card with a different currency.

I hope that you will choose to stay with us again when your business brings you back to London. Please do not hesitate to contact myself directly should you have any future questions or queries.

I am looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

myRegards
Salford, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

First time I have ever stayed at MyHotel and to be honest I'm not sure I would stay again. I was booked for 2 nights and the room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in, but on the whole that was fine, apart from the bruises I have on my shins trying to get to the kettle :0). Also the desk area isn't really practical for work as this is where they have the mini-bar/tray so if you do wish to work you will need to put this elsewhere (try to avoid the floor - I stubbed my toes approx 6 times). However, the room was spotless, bed was very comfortable and the continental breakfast was lovely.

My major gripe with this hotel was to do with room service. I arrived about 7pm on a Sunday evening and after settling in, all I wanted to do was do some work and order some food. After not being able to find the room service menu I asked at Reception and was told "its a bit tricky on a Sunday". Now as a woman travelling alone I didn't really appreciate having to go and walk up and down Tottenham Court Road in the dark and in the rain to get something to eat because ordering food at the hotel on a Sunday is "a bit tricky"! I'm booked into a 4* hotel in the heart of London so didn't think my expectation of room service on a Sunday evening was unreasonable or outlandish.

Its a shame because the location is perfect for me whilst I'm in London on business but I think I'll stick to other hotels in future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MadelenTobiasson, Front Office Manager at My Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at myhotel Bloomsbury during your visit to London and for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate all feedback from our guests, both positive and negative, as it allows us to target areas that might require our attention.

We are constantly looking for improvements in the bedrooms, your comments have been brought forward to our General Manager and Maintenance team who will investigate further. I was glad to read that the room was clean and the bed was comfy.

I would like to apologize for the issue you experienced regarding the room service, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment in the restaurant and kitchen area and therefore the room service is temporarily limited to a smaller menu on Sundays.
I’m looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact myself or my reception team if there is anything we assist you with.

myregards,
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed there for one week on business trip. Great location and breakfast! If you're travelling for work and need to actually work in your hotel room, book room for 2 persons. Single rooms are quite small. Nice 'library/coffee/computer -area downstairs. Small gym as well. Would stay there on holiday too, if it wasn't so pricy :(

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MadelenTobiasson, Front Office Manager at My Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear guest,

Since your recent stay last year we have changed our library and gym into conference rooms. All our guests are able to access the improved areas and you can use them to relax, work or arrange a business meeting. We also offer gym vouchers to a close by modern gym for any guests who wish to work out during their stay.

I am looking forward to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future.

myregards,