“Loveit”
Review of The Capital Hotel

The Capital Hotel
Ranked #40 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I have stayed at The Capital twice a year for the last 6-7 years. I love it; the location, the atmosphere, the size, the price, the food and of course the service. They go out of their way to help.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room facing Basil Street and not the backyard; especially if you want to sllep a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Bente E
thecapitalhotel, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

We are delighted to read your review and we are looking forward to welcoming you back for another 6-7 years at least! Thank you so much for supporting us all and the hotel for so many past years.

Kind regards,
Kate Levin

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I decided to rate hotels in London according to the price they charge per night. Cheaper hotels would thus have lower expectations from me. This hotel charges above average per night. So should be everything else about it. The room was one of the nicest I had in London. It was relatively spacious (for London) with lovely old-fashioned furniture. Spacious marble bathroom, which seriously lacked space for your toilet bag or other small things. Unfortunately, it is a bit difficult to enjoy the idyllic urban surroundings of Knightsbridge, as you cannot pull the lightest curtain aside. But there are good options for airing the room and getting some fresh air. My room was close to the elevator and I stayed two nights. I could hear completely normal talk of other guests in front of my door, which also woke me up sometimes. As some other reviewers mentioned, the keys are on a big wooden "brick" and you leave them with concierge. I do not quite find this safe, but I actually got the impression they really take time and remember you. When staying there, I had some stressful time and was not feeling very well. Having just spent a fortune on tea at Fortnum and Mason, I was eager to try out some. Was looking for a tea cattle in the room and after I couldnt find one, I phoned the reception to ask for it. Was rejected, as I was supposed to order tea as part of the room service. I think it is very nice to offer a tea cattle to guests, so they can brew their tea if and when they wish so, but I am probably a bit biased, as I am really an avid tea drinker. Had I known there wont be any tea kettle, I would not book this hotel, this is how much I like my tea. Internet access is provided for free (note the network have some anonymous name, not the hotels name), but you need to ask for password at the reception. I would say the internet connection was slow at all times (I worked a lot). I was very impressed that they handed me my own luggage when leaving, without even asking me which suitcase was mine. Again, feels like very personal service, but I wonder if it is completely safe. I also visited the bathroom at the reception area. As said, my room was very nice and clean, but the toilets at the reception area were not. When I used the bathroom there, two maids came in and cleaned the area around the sinks, but they left without checking both of the toilets (that really needed cleaning). I hope this was just a coincidence in maintaining cleaniness. The personnel were kind and helpful. The location of this hotel is absolutely great. Direct tube to Heathrow and easy access to Gatwick through Victoria station express train. You will, however, need to carry the suitcase from nearby tube station (Knightsbridge) - no wheel-chair access. Expensive butiques are within walking distance. I managed to visit nearby Harrods and enojoyed a lot, although I was too tired for shopping. So, all in all, I would only come back with a portable kettle of my own. Also didnt like the fact that minibar was locked. Hm! They do have full control over your credit card, so I dont understand this. Didnt make me feel very welcome.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the elevator and hope nobody stops to chat in front of your door
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank anaiiis
thecapitalhotel, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate and take very seriously any feedback from guests as it is an invaluable way to help us continuously improve our services.
I apologise that you did not receive an in room kettle when you requested, I am aware that some guests do enjoy this facility and we have recently purchased new in room tea and coffee machines for those who wish to have them; I am so sorry that you did not receive one when you requested and I am looking into how this could have happened.

However I am very pleased to hear you found the room to your liking, as well as the location of our hotel.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

we didnt stay in the hotel for accomodation, as we have family in london, but my friend and I decided to visit foe afternoon tea. First of all we arrived an hour early, we were greeted at the door by an extremely helpful and pleasant man, who I think was the concierge. He took our coats and bags and made us feel at home, then he showed us to the bar to have a refreshment while we waited. The bar was immaculate and very comfortable, and bar staff were also lovely.
After our drink, we were then shown to our table for the afternoon tea. It was a beautiful little room, with a great view to the street to people watch, the afternoon tea itself was devine, and very reasonably priced for the quality of the food and of course the service.
I would highly reccomend this hotel, and I think as a treat, the next time we visit London we may stay here!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

I am so pleased to hear about your afternoon tea here at The Capital Hotel. Thank you for such a generous review and for sharing your experiences with us, Cesar who is central to our afternoon tea was delighted! We strive to make every guest visiting our hotel feel welcome, and I am so pleased to know that you were well looked after. We do hope to see you again very soon for tea and maybe even to stay.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

We have stayed at The Capital twice in 12 months, for a week each time. Everything about the hotel is top class. Our apartment (yes, they have a few apartments) is always comfortable and housekeeping is excellent. The Concierge team have everything covered: tours, attractions, museums, and of course restaurants. Even if you think you know London, you will love their guidance. Hotel management are so professional in their effort to make our stay perfect.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. We are always striving to bring a personal touch to each person’s stay, and I am so pleased that you felt well taken care of! And yes, I too can’t get enough of those macaroons…I shall mention it to our pastry chef. He will be so pleased to hear this!

Reviewed 3 February 2012

I love this hotel, friendly, comfortable, quiet and a relief from the bigger chain hotels in London. We had very pleasant stay and will return again. Just a note, we were offered am upgrade but declined it however the room we were in was spacious and comfortable anyway - who needs an upgrade??!! (243 by the way) the complimentary macaroons were to die for too...

• Stayed: January 2012