“Excelant London Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #165 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Los Angeles
“Excelant London Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

A room you can move around in, with a big closet. Across from Green's park. And just a few short blocks to restraunts in Shepard's Market area.

Room Tip: Side street veiw, no traffic.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Pieper5
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Polish first
Decatur, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We took our family of 5 to England for spring break in April and stayed here. We had adjoining rooms that were so beautiful! They were on the top floor of the apartment building -- #16 and 13 I believe. The rooms were spacious, bright and perfect for our 3 kids -- 15, 13 and 8. Upon arrival they had a wii, a scooter, 3 bags of bird seed to feed the ducks, 3 robes in the right size for my kids and a soccer ball. My kids were in heaven. The mini bar and breakfast were included in our stay and that was such a help. Each afternoon some type of treat was awaiting the kids in their room -- milk and cookies, etc. The service and location can't be beat. I'd highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in hotel rooms in the apartment building #3. They were at the top floor and very quite and...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank dmbmsb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

A business associate booked me into this place and I was shocked at how good it was compared to the other hotel I had just come from which was only 20 Llbs cheaper. I checked in Wednesday night which is also Champagne night with guests and staff. You get to meet other cool and interesting guests and hang out with the General Manager and his team. It's a great way to kick off your evening. Truth to told, I didn't feel like leaving so we went there for dinner in the dinning room and the food was crazy. My partner had left his wine there from his previous trip and it was sitting at the table. Come on, how cool is that. After a great meal and great service, I went back to my really nice and big room, twice the size of my 20 £ less previous room and chilled. Although I didn't need a night cap after the champagne and wine, I felt like it and the remembered that this mini bar is like your own stuff at home, there's no fee. I only ended up having OJ but I could have had anything, nc. The next day, I toured the hotel's many interesting nooks and crannies, and found strategically placed candy jars with super fresh candies. When I told my daughter, she was sold that this was the only place she'd want to stay when I take her to the UK next time. This place was just amazing and not crazy expensive. I travel all over the world 15-20 weeks a year, I know value and comfort when I see. And the candy and mini bar, come on, that's attention to detail. Well done :)

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Nicklaperle
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My travel agent selected the Athenaeum. While at first it was more than I wanted to spend, the package included full breakfast and round-trip transit to Heathrow and was quite worth it. The staff everywhere - behind the desk, the bar, the restaurant, concierge - were friendly and helpful. The central location is fantastic. Walking distance to many neighborhoods, nearby tube stops, and glorious parks. The Shepherd's Market area around the corner has nice restaurants and a great barbershop. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing a side street rather than Picadilly.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Nancy N
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I came up to London with my husband and baby and immediately on arrival we were grilled about what we were doing in london it was really over the top and it felt like an interview. Check in was a laborious procedure wanting credit card authorisations or cash upfront as a deposit. We went up to the room and the coffee machine didnt work at first which was annoying so someone had to come out. In the bathroom i spotted at least 3 silverfish on the dirty floor and pubes in the bathtub. The duvet didnt have a cover and the pillows were so soft and the bed uncomfortable i hardly slept at all and the air con was temperamental, the coffee pot at breakfast leaked everywhere, they forgot the bread basket and I was disgusted at how overpriced breakfast in bed is, 55 quid for 2 people... ridiculous! on check out the maid went to check the room and came back to say we had smoked in the room, because she found a cigarette butt in an empty water bottle and they charged us 200 quid, apparently it was now impossible to rent out the room due to smoke damage but yet when i said that i would then take the room because apparently no one could possibly use it according to the manageress the receptionist then wanted the room rate on top.... Yes i smoked leaning out of the window ONE cigarette, and the window had been open from 9 am til 12 am so there was no smell at all, but to fine me and then treat me like I had committed the crime of the century was over the top, I asked if they could waive the charge but the mean manageress said there was no way she could and it left what could have been a nice stay into the worst possible hotel experience. The rest of the day we were left feeling cheated, ripped off and really upset by the ordeal. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Read the rules.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank layla0071
AthenaeumHotelLondon, General Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you for your review and the notes you have made. We have also recieved your email saying you would remove this post if we came to an agreement, however as you have posted this it is only right that we respond here.
We recieve many reviews that compliment both the hotel and the team. I am sorry that you did not feel that your stay was what you expected. Cleanliness is paramount and hence are policies that we also ask regarding smoking. To ensure guests are happy with the rooms we state that smoking is not permitted in the hotel. As you see in the current NHS smoking adverts smoking out of a window does not prevent the smoke from entering the room and leaving behind the remnants for future guests. As such we automatically put the room out of service and clean the room. We send a letter to the guests informing them of this unless they are already departing.
Kind Regards