4,225 results
All reviews rivoli bar afternoon tea the palm court jacket and tie dinner dance sandwiches and cakes green park birthday treat bottle of champagne junior suite turn down service beautiful room buckingham palace doorman cloakroom luxury concierge
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We had a very important event held here. Service was absolutely suburb. They watch every your move to please you and are very, very considerate. Venue is stunning so is the food which was served in beautiful dishes and the cutlery was all perfectly polished silver of course.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We were a party of 6 celebrating my birthday. Having been here about 6 months earlier for a friend's birthday we enjoyed that occasion so much we had to return. Our booking was a little complicated due to 3 of the party having particular, specific dietary requirements. However, this was not an issue and I was not made to feel at all awkward. The attention to detail on the day was superb and everything ran smoothly. My daughter, being lactose intolerant , was especially well looked after. Her own special plate of cakes/fruit was imaginative and more than ample. (Is it appropriate to request a take home box?) Although you are allocated a time this is more than ample and there is NO feeling of being rushed. (Several contacts of mine had spoken of a "conveyor belt approach" and it being "rushed".This was not the case and I have no idea why such an opinion had been formed). Staff were friendly but not effusive. it was all just wonderful. We will return. Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Wendy119186363
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz for 3 nights in July. The hotel is well situated for getting to all the must see tourist destinations. The positives: location, opulent and grand decor, friendly staff, very good concierge, very comfortable bed and great linens. The negatives: not much space for clothes, no makeup mirror (ask for one they will send it up), housekeeping is average at best. We had a plate of olives, champagne and other stuff in our room upon arrival courtesy of our travel agent. After two days the uneaten olives and open champagne bottle had not been removed. Even after asking for the items to be removed it took two days and a second request to get the rotting olives removed from the room. The breakfast dining room is lovely, but the selection of items on the buffet is average (hard boiled eggs, breads, cereal, smoked salmon, meats, fruit and yogurt). For the Ritz you would expect a little more. It looks like any breakfast buffet at a Hilton or Holiday Inn. Toast came cold to the table on two mornings. While they have a dozen waiters buzzing around the dining room, getting your coffee refilled or a dirtly plate removed does not happen quickly. The policy of dressing appropriately to enter different areas is quite bizarre. While my husband couldn't enter the bar area one night around 11 p.m. for dessert because he didn't have a suit jacket on (hewas wearing a black Prada bomber jacet) we saw plenty of rule breakers at breakfast in the fancy dining room (teens in badly ripped jeans and running shoes, etc.). Having said all that, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel but I wouldn't return. Also, the noise from the street was very loud at night (sirens, horns honking, etc.). If you are staying ask for a room on a high floor or away from the main street. We ate at a couple of great restaurants: Hakkasan (Asian and close to the hotel) and Daphne's in Chelsea (about a 15 minute drive) and the food was outstanding. It's Italian and one of the best meals we had on the trip. Carlucci's for lunch was also really yummy.

Room Tip: Higher floor away from Piccadilly Street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Takemywordforit
Exec0ffice1, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to place this review, and for fairly describing the good and the frankly unacceptable. I have passed your comments on to the relevant department regarding items being left in your room that should clearly have been removed, and I share your disappointment. I understand your bewilderment with the dress code, however for adults it is straightforward, but I do not feel we can tell children/teens how we would like them to dress. I hope you understand our predicament and thank you for the useful feedback. SB

Reviewed 18 July 2012

Everything you would expect from the Ritz nameplate. Excellent service, courteous staff, but concierge didn't take care of the suitcases upon check-in. Standard room (no upgrade offered) small yet cozy, nice bathroom, birthday cake (with greetings note) a nice touch but actually not intended for me (apologies from receptionists). For the same rate you can find better places in London, but tradition comes with a price...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lucaerrante

Thank you for your feedback. It is a shame that your luggage with not dealt with as you would have like, and I can assure you that this is most unusual. I know for certain that our luggage porters are hard working and conscientious and I really am sorry that you were unlucky enough not to experience this. I hope this did not ruin your enjoyment of your stay with us, and that you might come back again in the future. SB

Reviewed 16 July 2012

For this hotel I had very high hopes. Booked a Junior Suite at 615 to 650 pounds a night, for 4 nights. As soon as I walked in the lobby I smelled a sickening damp sweet smell, which is probably coming from the wet trodden down carpet in the middle. Holding my breath, I checked in. The reception and porter are all very polite, friendly, and pleasant. Which took the edge off the smell. As we chatted on our way to room 314, the nice young man told me the hotel has been around 106 years old. Impressive history, but I've always feared the condition of the bathrooms and ventilation systems at these historic hotels. To my amazement the bathroom at 314 was exceptionally large, bright, and clean. Room 314 "Junior Suite" is not really a suite. It's just one spacious room because there is nothing separating the sitting room and bedroom. There isn't a guest bathroom either, not to mention a foyer, which makes it a room, not a suite. But I guess if I want a suite at the Ritz the meager 615£ / night will have to be at least tripled. Just because I looked Chinese, they gave me a Chinese newspaper, some almost expired Chinese cookies and rice biscuits. Which I did not find heartwarming at all. Just because I looked Chinese they printed my nationality on my info card as CHN, doesn't matter the fact that I gave them a Canadian passport. The room doesn't even have a Uk extension cord, only a mainland China wall socket. I think this room is especially reserved for mainland Chinese. They ought to know that there are many different kinds of Chinese from all over the world. I had to call them to bring me a standard UK extension cord.
There is no plug in the bathroom for the dryer. Nor there is a socket in the room. The hair dryer in the bathroom drawer is covered in dust at its filter. The telephone has grime stuck in the edges.

• Stayed: July 2012