“The Best in Britain - Bar None !!”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #30 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“The Best in Britain - Bar None !!”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This hotel is the best in Britain, just perfection in all department. You should experience the fine dineing room with the elegance or the afternoon tea, its a real treat. The bar has the best bar staff in London with superb cocktails, all at prices less than you expect.

The only hotel that comes close is the Ritz in Paris ( no connection) but is in London its a must and really is thee best in Britain - bar none !!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Exec0ffice1, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
I am always genuinely delighted to receive such heartening feedback from guests. It is exactly this type of appreciation that pushes all of us here at The Ritz to go that extra mile and strive to exceed expection. Thank you very much. SB, Managing Director
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My girlfriend and I booked a night at the Ritz as a birthday treat as we had always wanted to stay in this world-famous hotel. The building itself didn't disappoint with its elegant luxury. The room was excellent - it was spacious and classically decorated.

However, my stay was let down by the attitude of some (not all) of the staff I encountered. I've been fortunate enough that in my job I've had the privilege of staying in a number of world-class hotels. In all others the service has been welcoming, in line with the experience that such hotels aim to offer. In the Ritz, it was sometimes stand-offish and in certain cases downright rude.

For example: Returning to the hotel after a night out I was virtually rugby tackled by a night doorman who demanded to know where I was going. Before I had a change to reply, I got the third reminder *that day* that 'one must wear a tie in the bar' - except that I wasn't going to the bar, I was returning to my room. When I stated this, he just turned around and walked away without saying another word. This gave a dreadfully poor impression, that my girlfriend and I were somehow unsuitable for their hotel. I repeat, I have never had other world-class hotels make this impression, so I do not think this is the result of having some sort of chip on my shoulder.

My view: if you're going to spend £300+ on a one-night hotel stay, avoid the Ritz and go somewhere else where you'll be made to feel welcome, rather than being treated like pond scum.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank afcone
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My daughter in law and I were shopping and asked a sales girl where we should go to have tea. She said if you want the full experience go to the Ritz! We hopped in a taxi, walked up to this grand desk and asked if it was possible to have tea. The lady was very polite and said you must book tea in advance but it is possible to be served tea in the bar. Then she asked if either of us were wearing athletic shoes. We both giggled because my daughter in law had just purchased a pair of black flats right before we walked in. She had changed out of her "athletic shoes" because she did feel "frumpy" that day. London women seem to always be dressed in the latest fashion but we were sight seeing that day and walking over 5 miles. We did have a wonderful tea and cocktail to match in the bar. The waiter could not have been kinder explaining everything to us. The place setting was very beautiful; silver tea pot and all. The nibbles that came free were also quite lovely. The biggest green olives! This is one of my favorite memories of our trip. I did notice all the men had on jackets if you're taking your man with you.

3 Thank hitmom
New Zealand
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Previous reviewers have said just about everything that needs to be said. The Ritz really is wonderful and for the couple of days we were there they pampered us beyond belief. We were amazed that within 30 minutes of being in the hotel we were greeted by name. When we dropped a letter off with the concierge he not only greeted us by name but said that he would charge the postage to our room number xx. How do they do it?

Tables were found at booked out restaurants and tips and hints for transport, shopping and sightseeing were spot on. We have already made a pact that the Ritz will become a ritual of our 24,000km trips to London!!

The only improvement suggestion would be a walk-in shower, rather than having to step into the bath.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Exec0ffice1, Stephen Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you very much for your kind and generous appraisal and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz. We are constantly making improvements and refurbishment of the facilities and have noted your comment on the shower. Thank you again. SB
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We booked the Ritz to experience something special and give ourselves a treat.
I must say we were quite disappointed and didn't find the level of service that we had expected (porters excluded) and I was very disappointed at the standard and quality of the room. It wasn't special at all and we came across various things which were broken in the room such as light switches and the toilet seat, can you believe a broken toilet seat in the Ritz which the cleaners must have noted as it wouldn't even stay up! The bathroom was small and I couldn't even stand under the shower, it only came up to my chin and I am only 6ft tall.
Value for money was extremely low on the richter scale and I would reccomend something different unless you want to be able to say you have stayed at the Ritz - wake up and look for a better deal.

2 Thank Adrian v