3,809 results
All reviewschambers clubbooking officest pancrasbarlow winggilbert scottchambers roomiconic buildingtrain stationbeautiful hotelnew wingbritish libraryjunior suiteafternoon teakings crosssteam roomfive star hotelpublic areas
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This is a hotel of great highs and disappointing lows. On the high side the public rooms are stunning examples of the wonderful things that can be done though modern renovations. London is famous for keeping the facades of landmarked buildings and creating fabulous interiors. This hotel is no exception and is more clever than most in using exposed brick walls and other raw architectural features to make them look like works of art.

If you are not exhausted or in too much of a hurry after arriving from Paris on the Eurostar, definitely give the common rooms of this hotel a look. They are really great.

As for staying here, I would only do it if you needed to get an early train from St. Pancras station...or if you wanted to spring for one of the renovated rooms in the old part of the hotel. We stayed in the "new" wing and it was less than memorable. Fortunately, I was somewhat prepared as a previous reviewer on Tripadvisor had described these rooms as little better than ones at a Travel Lodge. I wouldn't say it was that bad. It was more like an airport Marriott in Cleveland with a few silk pillows scattered about the utilitarian furniture.

The service was also a mixed experience. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant and the service was lovely...as was the food. Also, the wife of a friend had access to the club room for frequent Marriott visitors. That was over the top wonderful. We went there for a cup of coffee and a cookie after our dinner. When we found no cookies, one of the staff told us to have a seat and he reappeared shortly thereafter with several fabulous deserts. Evidently we were too late for normal goodies, but he wasn't going to let us suffer. Bravo to him.

I wish I had the same praise for the housekeeping staff. When I returned to my room after four to get ready for dinner it had not been made up. A call to housekeeping did result in a quick clean up, but the cleaner left without giving me any towels. Another call produced these, but I was not impressed with this kind of "service" for a room that cost more than $400 a night. Also, there were numerous times I found the housekeeping staff talking and laughing in the halls and guest elevators during the stay.

In sum, I would give this hotel a pass. Apart from the issues enumerated it is in the middle of nowhere if you want to shop or see the usual tourist sites of London.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MadisonSkidmore
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed one night recently, the public areas are terrific and very atmospheric. Our upgraded room was absolutely fine and the bed extremely comfortable,we did think that a trouser press would have been a useful addition to the facilities. The staff were very helpful and friendly and happy to show off the best features of the original building.
Afternoon tea was included in our stay, and although the service was charming we were disappointed by the quality of the food, sandwiches rather thick, scones stodgy and the cakes rather sickly, at £30. 00 a head ( an extra £10.00 for a half glass of champagne) they should be able to do better.
Breakfast however was excellent and couldn't be faulted! Overall an expensive but enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2012

When I check revıews for this hotel , all seams to be pefect .
Reality is far from it. It is a shame as the bulding is fantastic. Maybe this is where you forget the noisy rooms, the poor service and the food.
There is no need to complain as they do not listen to you and the Italian staff made sure you feel unwelcome and if you are in there way.
I forget this is a Marriott Hotel. They are best for specific client but not for luxury .
But do go in .This is beautiful

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank delphine a
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed at the Renaissance over the Easter holiday period for 4 nights and overall the experience was positive with one major exception. We booked a Club room with afternoon tea, drinks and canapes provided in the evening. We travelled with our 2 children but because we had children - they were not allowed in the Club room. Living in Dubai where everything is kid-friendly I found this (and in fact a lot of aspects in London eg. West End shows, restaurants etc) not child friendly at all. We were then offered the same services as the club but in the restaurant but of course this was not passed on to anyone working in the restuarant. It was just a mess. Add to the fact rooms are not ready until 4pm and our stay did not get off to a good start. I would recommend - do not book the club room access if you have kids!
After this issue the rest of the stay was excellent. Great size room for London standards, very comfortable bed, great breakfast (continental buffet and order any hot dishes from the breakfast menu). There's even a Carlucio's 10 steps from the door which is super kid friendly.
The best advantage of the hotel was the location for the tube and Eurostar. You're literally next to Kings Cross station with access to 6 tube lines and even the Big Bus Tour picks up and drops off literally 100metres from the front door. If you are going to Paris or Disneyland as we were, the concierge even helped us with our bags through the Eurostar arrival which is literally a 2 minute walk (if that) from the reception desk. Concierge staff were very good but restaurant staff seemed to have more people walking around with clipboards allocating tables rather than wait staff which you need. Overall I would go back but would not stay in a Club room.

Room Tip: Our room was opposite the library. It was relatively quiet considering the location but I would image the rooms overlooking the station might be more interesting.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew G
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We had for the most part a really enjoyable stay, It was convenient for visiting central London apart from one area we could not fault the hotel. It was a special occasion we went for a more expensive hotel in the Marriott group.
Our breakfast service on our second morning was bad It took an hour and ten minutes; we could only sit at a pre-used table, we had a total of 7 waiters and had to get angry in order to achieve food. The Dining room was poorly managed on this one occasion. We had three other meals in the same dining room with very good service

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends