“Not anymore what it used to be”

Corinthia Hotel London
Ranked #17 of 1,067 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Not anymore what it used to be”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I have chosen the hotel last year for my regular stays, as the 24hrs check-in/-out policy is very convenient for me. Due to my job I am travelling a lot. I am depending on the flight timings and it was a very pleasant and refreshing surprise to find finally a hotel which offers every guests’ dream: check-in whenever you arrive at the hotel. I was impressed and happy to finally found “my” hotel.
I was always wondering why there weren’t more hotels with this brilliant idea.
But since a couple of months the policy is not quite working anymore. More and more often it is not quite possible to check-in at the requested check-in time although mentioned during making the reservation.
For these occasions I was offered breakfast, coffee in the lounge, using the spa or a room to rest for some time. Alternatives are offered, but that is not what I am expecting at all. It is not what is advertised as a unique selling point on the website. Well, I guess there I have my answer, why not every hotel is using that policy. Thinking about it, it does not work in general. If all rooms are booked and late check-outs are guaranteed, how can guests check-in early?
Another unpleasant situation is the waiting time before being able to get to the desk on some occasions.
The receptionists are in general very friendly and helpful, but you can see their desperation handling the non-stop ringing telephone and the waiting people.
It is a pity as it is a beautiful property, very friendly staff and a great location.
I actually don’t want to search for another hotel, but I sincerely hope that changes are going to be made.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
10 Thank Andrew1971W
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you for your review of Corinthia London. I am sorry to hear that you have found our flexible check-in/check-out policy to not be working quite as efficiently as on previous visits to the hotel. As you quite rightly say, this policy does require great organisation and adaptability between all our departments, however, I believe we are highly capable of providing our guests with this feature and it is important for us to have such feedback so that we can improve. We are very dedicated to successfully providing this unique offering to our guests as we understand how convenient it is; I will certainly be looking into how we can become more efficient in this area. I also appreciate your feedback regarding your recent experience of our Reception area and I will certainly make sure that this is resolved. Again, many thanks for sharing this valuable feedback with us and we look forward to providing you with a fantastic experience on your next visit.

Matthew Dixon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Impecable service as you would expect from an establishment of this standing. I highly recommend that you stay here, if that is not possible then go in and try the afternoon tea. I say everything.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank FirstStrategy
Thank you for your kind recommendation of Corinthia London. It’s a pleasure to see you enjoyed our service and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Amarillo, TX
Reviewed 14 June 2012

This was truly a 5 star hotel experience. Before we even traveled I corresponded with the concierge, Justin, several times making inquiries. He answered all of my questions and took care of my requests perfectly. When we arrived everyone treated us as if we were honored guests. We were celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary and upon entering the room we were greeted with a chocolate cake and a bottle of champagne with a card from the manager. The room itself was huge as well as the bathroom and wardrobe. The cleaning staff made the beds daily and provided turn down service each evening which was a nice touch. We had breakfast in the room one morning and also made several requests during our stay that were always attended to quickly. The hotel has an onsite spa called ESPA. My wife and I both had a massage and highly recommend this to anyone staying at the Corinthia. They have a pool/sauna/steam room/whirlpool area that I used a couple of times and it was very well taken care of and a nice advantage to a hotel if you have an extended stay. The concierge Justin, helped us with reservations several times including on the night of our anniversary as well as two sets of theater tickets. Each of the restaurants and the theater seating were very nice. He even arranged for the hotel car to drive us to dinner. In summary, the manager and entire staff of the Cornithia Hotel have built a wonderful 5 star hotel that everyone should experience. We will be going back.

Room Tip: We were in room 329 which is a courtyard room. The wardrobe was a room of its own. The bathroom and...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nceahuck
It is wonderful to hear that you received a truly 5 star experience at Corinthia London – this is most definitely the sentiment we strive to provide for our guests. I was pleased to read that our Concierge & Front of House team looked after you well and that you enjoyed the welcome gifts upon arrival; we appreciate how important these occasions are to our guests and we are delighted you chose Corinthia London to be a part of your special celebrations. I am glad that you enjoyed our ESPA Life at Corinthia spa and their massage treatments- this is certainly a great way to relax. Many thanks for this very nice review and I do hope to welcome you to Corinthia London again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

It is a privately owned hotel and you can see that. Its just stunning, all the detail. Bars, restaurants, spa, room - just amazing. you can be the pickiest person on earth and you will still love it. In my opinion this is a no1 hotel in London now. JUST FANTASTIC! Top location!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Luke1407
I greatly enjoyed reading your review of Corinthia London – thank you for the fabulous recommendation. I do hope you will visit us again in the very near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We love Afternoon Tea and whenever we go on holiday, we try to seek out somewhere special to try. The Corinthia did not let us down. The Lobby Lounge was a beautiful setting in which to have Afternoon Tea. We were sorrounded by beautiful white orchids and the spectacular light in the Lobby was quite a talking point.
We had a tasty selection of finger sandwiches, lovely warm scones (fruit and plain) and then moved onto the 'fancies'. We had lots of tasty pastries, cakes and tarts but the star of the show was without doubt the mini violet eclair. I can still taste it :)
We have had many Afternoon Teas but this was the first time we had been offered complimentary top ups of sandwiches and scones. Lots of tea and of course the glass of champagne all went down a treat. All in all, a lovely experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank annecampbell33
It’s fabulous to receive such a great review from fellow Afternoon Tea aficionados. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful ambiance of the Lobby Lounge, as well as the fresh flowers provided by our in-house florist. As you mentioned, we have a splendid selection of sandwiches, cakes and fancies, which are perfectly complemented by our scones and pastries. The mini Violet Éclair is indeed a delicious experience and our pastry chef will be delighted to hear how much you enjoyed it. We hope to welcome you again soon for afternoon tea, or perhaps to try one of our other fine dining restaurants, The Northall or Massimo Restaurant & Oyster Bar.