“Perfect vibe and location for a great weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of W London Leicester Square

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #383 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Perfect vibe and location for a great weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

This is my second review for the W Leicester Square. I first visited the hotel as a business traveller, and frankly I hated the room design with the sink/desk combined into one and in the middle of the room. I decided to give the hotel another try on a recent weekend trip to visit and party with friends in London.

Things started off well when I was upgraded to an amazing spa suite. The downside is that the "window" looked into the gym rather than outside, but the upside is that the room was huge and included a sauna/steam room, huge pool, and a large bedroom separate from the bathroom. I was very pleased with the room in general.

The hotel is a perfect base for exploring the Soho/Mayfair club scene, and we often started at the hotel before venturing out. The bar/club at the hotel are very popular with locals - in fact one night there was a line around the block to get in. This of course makes for a hectic entrance to the hotel, with "bouncers" and a velvet rope. This is ok most of the time, although I didn't appreciate being asked for my key on multiple returns to the hotel, and additionally, I had to go outside and meet visitors. I understand the rationale for this, but it's a shame that the hotel wasn't better designed with easy access for guests in mind. On the other hand, it was nice to be able to access the club and bar without any wait or hassle (as one would obviously expect as a guest of the hotel).

I said in my last review that I would probably only try the hotel again if on a party weekend. For this purpose it served us well as it's close to great restaurants, all the tourist attractions, and provides a great base before going out. I would stay here again in a similar circumstance, despite the negatives associated with staying at such a popular venue. As far business travel, I would probably look elsewhere. Overall, a great stay this time!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Dear Cougrz007,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very happy to hear that we managed to exceed your expectations on your second stay.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the spacious spa suite and the sauna and steam facilities. However we don’t have a pool here unfortunately.

I’m glad also that you had fun in our cool bars and those in the surrounding area which is very central. It is nice to know that you can understand the challenges that we sometimes face regarding entry to these bars during busy periods in a bustling location.

If you do decide to return, please let me know as it would be nice to meet with you personally.

Ian
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

There are a few things I look for in a hotel.
1.) location
2.) service
3.) quality of sleep

This hotel did a superb job for the first 2 but failed to deliver on the 3rd. We stayed for 2 nights in this hotel and was given a upgrade, sounded fantastic at the time. The room overlooked the crowded tourists below in Leicester square and the room size was fine for 2 people. My wife and I went to dinner and came back to our hotel to catch up on some jetlag sleep but instead we found our room to be a sound box for the club downstairs. Our room was on the second floor of the hotel and right over the club, the music was so loud during the night we might as well be sleeping in the bar. I understand that this is a trendy hotel but if you plan to place a hotel room right over the club below and value your guest's sleep you really should install better sound proofing for those few rooms. We complained about the room location and noise but nothing was done about it at all, not even a piece of chocolate was delivered to the room...not even a single piece of M&M.

The good parts are that we are very conveniently located to the tube and can get to and from the airport very conveniently. We are close to many great restaurants around the area and Chinatown is close by for late night snacks when you can't fall asleep in your room. The beds are nice and comfortable and will sleep like a baby if you do not might the noise level. The room itself is a normal W setup, if you been to a W before you will be right at home but if you have not then you should look into the setup a little better before booking. The hotel is designed for close friends or couples in mind, I would never stay here with a colleague from the office due to the bathroom placement and configuration of the room. The hotel concierge was very good at getting us into some nice clubs in London without waiting in lines and made some pretty good suggestions for dining and shopping.

I would stay at this location again but only if they give me a higher level room that is away from the club downstairs.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Jinw4672rx,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on your final night.

I am very disappointed to hear about the noise issues which you experienced during the last night of your stay. I would like to apologise that this was not resolved at the time and that you were not better cared for. I have launched an investigation into this with the relevant departments and the sound levels with the DJ equipment.

On a more positive note, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the bars and restaurants in the hotel and had enjoyed your stay prior to this.

Please do contact me directly if you would like to return to stay with us as I would very much like to oversee your reservation.

Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

Very Welcoming W-Hotel. Nice atmosphere, great ambiance, nice room. Top is the very friendly people who are working here! The Kitchen was not that nice (but this is a detail!). Staff was rather unpersonal, just doing there jobs. While The Welcoming Ambassadors where top! Breakfast was dissapointing compared too the W-Barcelona.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear Serge,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope we see you return very soon.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

The wife and I stayed here for our wedding anniversay and what a fantastic hotel in the centre of London. Modern, stylish and cool I'd really recommend it. The design and decor were superb and the room we had (and we took a pretty standard room) was fantastic. We spent the afternoon in the bar chilling out, reading the newspaper, eating a very lovely Club Sandwich and sipping a glass of Rose champagne. When we went up to our room to get ready for dinner they'd put a slice of chocolate fudge cake on a plate saying "Happy Anniversary" (Nice touch although the wife did comment on how many calories it had in it....so I ate it on my own!).

We went out for dinner and came back to the bar which was nice and busy with a DJ playing some nice tunes. The bar staff were good and the drinks/cocktails well prepared.

Breakfast is served in the Spice Market restaurant on the ground floor. The Gruyere Omlette was fab.

Granted not the cheapest hotel in London bu the staff here were excellent and we'll definitely be going back

Room Tip: If you're on the second floor it can be a little noisey if you decide to go to bed too early as...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear DTFW,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful wedding anniversary during your stay with us.

Congratulations and see you next time!

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

About a month ago I went to afternoon tea at the W Hotel Leicester Square. Everything was absolutely fabulous. The only issues I can think of are that we seemed to need to look lost for the waitress to seat us in our booked table. Otherwise I cannot say anything was terrible. The staff had excellent product knowledge and should be commended on their friendliness and willingness to make our experience as good as good can be! I will definitely be returning! Perhaps for dinner or cocktails, or the afternoon tea! It was really quite something, a must do after running around the town!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our fabulous afternoon tea.

Please do come back to try dinner at Spice Market or some delicious cocktails in Wyld, as I am sure that you’ll enjoy it.

See you next time.