“Groovy Hotel in Tourist Zone” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of W London Leicester Square

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #382 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Groovy Hotel in Tourist Zone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Very funky hotel in downtown London.

The serivce at this hotel is awesome (for English standards)

Unusal layout of hotel rooms in effort to give you more space.

Please be aware that Leicester Square/Chinatown area is the heart of the tourist area and there will be touts on every corner.

ANother quality W Hotel. Keep it up Starwood.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank dgvictor
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear DG Victor,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. I am very pleased to hear that you had a great time during your stay at W London.

Its wonderful that you appreciated our unique design elements and our central location.

I hope we see you return very soon.

Ian
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

It is very convenient to stay here. Everything is within distance......tube station , theatres, restaurants ( woseley, j sheeky, jamie oliver italian, princi bakery, four seasons roast duck) ,shopping ( picadilly, oxford street , regent street,covent garden, carnaby street), tourist attractions ( trafalgar square, Piccadilly, covent garden, Chinatown, British museum).

If you want to join the open top tour bus, the stop is just outside the McDonald which is just 2 min from the hotel.

Request for rooms on higher floors. Not noisy at all. We stayed on 6 th floor.
Lobby and hotel club is on first floor.
In one of our rooms, the sink was in an island layout .this top doubles up as a work top. Didn't like this. In the other room, the sink was against th wall which I thought provided better use of space.

In our confirmation email, we re told we would get complimentary espresso maker but was told that information was wrong. They apologized and sent up 2 cups of coffee and tea bags , instant coffee and kettle. We really appreciated that. Only thing was housekeeping did not refill the to bags etc the next days and we had to keep asking for them.

We stayed for 5 nights and requested for newspaper everyday but we did not get them and had to keep reminding them.
They only supply toothbrush and shower cap and bedroom slippers only if you request for them.

On the whole, service was very good cos if you highlight the issue to them, they will try their best to sort it out. All the staff are pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Request for the higher floors and away from the club. These have better views and quieter. Currently...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank redwineMalaysia
Estoril, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Been in this hotel since 5/4 till 7/4. Lovelly hotel, wonderfull location, friendly staff. My 418 suite was fantastic. Great lounge bar. Awsome stay. Try the spice market restaurant @ ground level. I will be back soon.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Carolina N
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear CMedinas,

Thank you so much for your wonderul review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you are taking advantage of our wonderful Spice Market restaurant and our W Lounge bar.

It's also great to hear that you had a fabulous stay in one of our lovely suites.

See you soon!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

After dozens of stays at W hotels around the world, I had high expectations coming to London staying at the premiere starwood hotel in the city. W London exceeded my expectations on all fronts and moved this hotel to my short list of favorite urban hotels. Ian and team clearly run an excellent operation, the staff was friendly at every turn, greeted me at my taxi, ushered me in past the long club line, and the reception crew were overly enthusiastic in greeting me and making me feel both welcome and excited to be at their hotel.

This venue is not for the meek. Very chic, loud and edgy in the evening, but classy all the way, and tame during the morning and afternoon hours. A great mix that not all W's have nailed down. The room service was hot, delicious and up in less than 30 mins, even on a late Friday eve. The concierge desk was eager to frequently help with any and all inquiries.

The hotel property itself was in great state, I did not see any wear. Great location, central to so many places within walking distance.

Lastly, and an extremely important call out was Nicola Robinson as part of the pre-visit welcome team. Nicola went above and beyond to listen to my very specific special requests, and showed sincere interest in making an experience for me that exceeded my expectations. Nicola provided several options for some of my requests, was proactive in her communications to me, she showed me that I was a valued guest and represents why I just love a great stay with true customer service.

Hats off to Ian and Nicola and team for an experience in London I will never forget.

Room Tip: Higher floors may be quieter later at night. The rooms have a unique design, probably best to revi...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I'm just back from a fabulous Easter Weekend escapade at the W Leicester Square.
It all started with me arriving a bit early for check-in, only to find that though my room was understandably not ready, I was upgraded to a Spa Suite.

Now, a steam bath in your room might sound superfluous, but after experiencing it, I'm close to thinking this is the best idea ever! Being able to enjoy a steam bath before crashing in probably the most comfortable bed I've slept in, takes relaxation to a whole new level. On top of that, the room is huge with the bathroom (including bathtub, separate WC, and Shower/Steam room) about the same size as the bedroom. The only negative point I see is the fact that the window overlooks the gym and therefore the bedroom doesn't get as much natural light as it should, in my opinion. Apart from that, decoration is very modern and I can understand people used to traditional London 5 star hotels can be a little put off. It's just another idea of luxury.

Moving on to the area, off course it's busy, and nearby Soho is not exactly the classiest part of London. However, it's just not fair to hold it against the hotel as if you're looking for classy, Mayfair and St James are literally round the corner.

The other main asset of the W Leicester Square has got to be it's staff. They really make you feel like nothing is too much trouble. Also, being in my mid-twenties myself, I think it made a great difference to be able to interact with like-minded staff .

This is especially true of the Concierge service (Whatever Whenever) who have been simply awesome at arranging things that usually don't happen (Holding a table for 1 at one of the city's busiest restaurant? Not possible... Well, actually, after a call from the W Concierge, they agreed to make an exception...).
Now, I'm sure Concierges at other London 5 star hotels are also extraordinarily well connected and can open just about any (legal) door in the city, but asking Whatever Whenever just felt considerably less intimidating for me than when I had to ask the concierge at the Savoy to find me a nice dining venue, for example. It is actually like asking that friend of yours who happens to always know what's hot where...

Last thing: the Bar. It has a terrific, lively atmosphere, attracts a young and cool crowd and I'm only talking about the Lounge. From what I've seen of it, Wyld seems to be an awesome place too, though I think you really get to enjoy it only if you go with a group of friends and throw your own party.

So all in all it was a fantastic stay and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Lkrambar,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience in our spa suite.

It is certainly a fantastic treat having a nice steam bath and relaxing before a fun night out. I can also recommend a visit to our fabulous Away Spa on your next visit where you will be very well pampered.

Thank you also for your kind words about our Concierge and W Insider team, and our W Lounge staff. I am really proud of the team’s who always go that extra mile to make each guest have a special experience.

Lkrambar, I do hope we can welcome you back to W London once again.