“Be aware that they have lots of prison cells!”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #193 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Be aware that they have lots of prison cells!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel as my first experience was impressive. However, this stay was just horrible, this hotel would not be my option in London.

I was served by a trainee on checkin, she apparently did not recognise my status with the hotel group. I therefore asked if a room upgrade was available, but was told big "No" because it's "subject to availability". Ok, there were many better rooms available on the Carlson website, what was their "subject to availability"???

When I went to the room, I was horrified. Although it was very sunny outside, the room had no sunlight at all. You will not even tell if it's day or night. No light came into rooms on the back side of hotel. A "prison cell" exactly describes the room. Horrible, just horrible. In addition, power sockets at the desk were out of order. I called the reception, no one came over for about one hour. I was bothered to speak to a cleaning lady passing by my room, she brought her colleague.

The swimming pool was full of rude guests. folding beds were all occupied and I managed to get one for myself. I put my stuff on the bed and went off to the sauna. I was then walking towards my folding bed, a stupid couple was hiding my stuff under the mattress and stealing the bed! No hotel staff attended, so I just left the pool.

If you do not matter any view but only location, this hotel could be your option.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank UKtrotter2007
, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear UKtrotter2007,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry you left our hotel disappointed.

Without knowing what your Elite membership is, I am unable to comment freely with regards to your upgrade entitlement, however, they are indeed subject to availability of the next category up .
This in turn would dictate the room type you would be offered/entitled to and as per our website, not all rooms have a view as you would need to book a particular room type.

I’m sorry for the maintenance issue and kindly ask for your room number and booking details to ensure the power socket is repaired.

I regret you were inconvenienced by another hotel guest and no team member witnessed this to assist you and have shared your comments with our Spa Manager.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope we can be of service to you again in the near future.

Hotel Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,292)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Wassenaar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Very modern and clean hotel. The room we stayed was ample enough for a family of 4. The room was clean and house keeping cleaned up very nicely after 2 messy young girls. Much appreciated. the staffs was very helpful, they are very willing to help and always had smiles.
Very close to most of major tourist sites. Waterloo train station is 5 mins walk, so a very easy travels to Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace.
The pool was very nice plus.
Definately using Park Plaza Westminster Bridge again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lance C
Thank you Lance C for your great review. We look forward to seeing you all again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

The hotel is fantastic, rooms very well designed and clean. Ideal location. Howver the reception staff were very rude, not understanding, cold and did not seem to care. No empathy. For an independent traveller who is not part of a travel group or a business traveller, you should still be treated with courtesy and politeness. I raised a complaint with the management but there level of customer service was very poor, and I was not a business traveller or part of a large group they were not interested in my business. The hotel should remember the olympics do not happen every year. Apart from the reception and hotel policy I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you David B for your review and recommendation, despite your poor experience with our Reception team. I have shared your comments with our Front of House Manager and she sincerely thanks you for your feedback and apologises too.

Every guest and visitor is very important to us and it is not hotel policy to offer a lesser service to an independent traveller, I regret that this was your experience.

Thank you once again for your recommendation and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Ploiesti, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed for 3 nights in June 2012. The hotel is ideally placed for exploring London, just opposite Big Ben. (This is important given the price for transportation in London.) I had a standard double room that was modernly furnished, very large by London standards and sparkling clean. Beds are large and very comfortable. Huge, immaculate bathroom. Large LCD TV with all important sport and news channels, including SKY, which is a big plus. I found the coffee & tea machine and the large minibar very useful. Staff polite and helpful.
One should note though that most of the rooms do not overlook that Thames, but the interior space of the hotel or other parts of the city.
It is a huge hotel (more than 1021 rooms!) and therefore it cannot feel but impersonal, rather cold.
Given all of the above, I found shocking the quality and price of breakfast! Very limited choice and poor quality for a Park Plaza hotel, or for any other good hotel, for that matter.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank CostinN
Thank you CostinN for your review and feedback. We’re glad you enjoyed our comfortable hotel and surroundings.

I’m sorry to note your breakfast experience was poor, we hope to you again so here are some great options for breakfast next time; one is the Executive Lounge package at £39 per couple which includes 2 breakfasts, tea and coffee all day, full afternoon tea and then canapés and drinks from a full bar until 8pm. Keep an eye out on our website for the park Plaza package and you may even get this for £25. Another option is the Illy Espressemente coffee shop on the ground floor, similar in style and price to a Prêt or a Starbucks, as well as breakfast via room service with no tray charge.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

We have just returned from a great weekend stay at the Park Plaza. We had previously stayed at the Park plaza county hall opposite, but thought we would try the newer version. It definitely lived up to its expectations, we love this location for a hotel, it is perfect for walking to everything in London! We were allocated a high room which gave us great views of the Eye and the houses of parliament, we had a 1 bedroom studio, which I think was worth the extra, (we like spacious rooms) the bathroom was great, and the small kitchen area was very functional. We have stayed in lots of hotels all over the world and I think this was possibly the quietest room we have ever stayed in, unbelievable considering it is built on a roundabout! Breakfast was great, very good variety and choice and no problem with waiting, plenty of tables for a busy Sunday morning. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the management of the hotel who arranged for a birthday cake, which was in our room when we arrived, (it was my partners birthday) Thank you Park Plaza, we will definitely be back soon!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room, you get a great view