“Great staff and great food”
Review of Galvin La Chapelle

Galvin La Chapelle
Ranked #471 of 23,593 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 73 - US$ 200
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Spitalfields
Description: The third restaurant to be opened by acclaimed chef brothers Chris and Jeff Galvin, La Chapelle has been consistently praised, winning no less than 8 top restaurant awards in its first year, including AA London Restaurant of the Year, and Tatler magazine's Restaurant of the Year. Chef Patron, Jeff Galvin, provides a menu of modern French cuisine, gaining a Michelin star in the 2011 Red Guide, just a year after the restaurant opened. There is also a menu gourmand, prix fixe lunch, early dinner menu, and Sunday Roast lunch menu. The service, under the direction of Alessandro Piombino and his team, effortlessly combines warm, friendly and attentive hospitality with a fine sense of tradition and decorum, in keeping with the grandeur of this Grade II-listed building. The restaurant is one of the few restaurants in London to hold a vertical list of Hermitage La Chapelle wines.
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We arrived late for our table and staff could not have been more understanding. The tables are well spaced and your surroundings are beautiful . Thoroughly enjoyed the food and wine, especially the monkfish. Will return on our next visit to London.

2  Thank WEBA
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

What can you say about this restaurant; the decorum is great and as we were seated on the "balcony" we could overlook the rest of the restaurant (not for people with vertigo though).

We were immediately welcomed by our waiter and the sommelier. We told our waiter that we didn't like sweet wines and he told us the sommelier would keep that in mind, which he did.

We went for the Menu Gourmand and every dish tried to top the other. The tagine of Bresse pigeon was our favorite though.

As we didn't want sweet wines with our desserts, the sommelier served us cognac with our tarte tatin which seems a strange combination, but it worked.

A shame that we didn't get an amuse bouche with our glass of champagne though. I like olives, but this is a michelin star restaurant and not a bistro.

When we ordered a taxi, the lady at the reception put on her coat and rushed onto the street to get us one. That's quite a service.

If you want to experience a michelin star kitchen at an affordable price and have a great evening out then this is the place to visit.

1  Thank Francis D
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Beauriful setting in an old church. Service was very disjointed. Didn't get off to a good start with a hair in my drink which I got replaced. Food was ok but over seasoned. The pork was too dry. Given the ost I expected more.

2  Thank smilingtravelbug
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Amazing interiors and superbly crafted cuisine in this Michelin starred restaurant , impeccable service , try the pigeon tagine

1  Thank SingaporeAsiaroamer
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The food here was delightful but my dealings with the manager here have put me off returning for life. There was a misunderstanding about the set menu I had booked. When I spoke to the manager about it he was rude and condescending. He took great enjoyment at harbouring the point that he had been right and I was wrong - this was all in front of my guest for lunch and so was very awkward and embarrassing.

I work in hospitality and was under the impression that part of a manager's job was to make the restaurant guests feel welcome and at ease and to smooth over any problems so that they feel happy when they leave. My experience here could not be more opposite. What makes me really cross, is that when I wrote to head office to complain I did not even receive an acknowledgement of my email. It is clear that the customer service is incredibly snobby and that this comes from the top. Had my problem had been dealt with appropriately at the time I would not have had to contact head office, and if head office had bothered to write a reply I would not put on this horrible review.

There are many other Michelin starred restaurants in London where the service is incredible so I would advise to avoid this place and eat at a restaurant when you are treated in a civil manner.

6  Thank Siobhan O