“Average - a long way from 5 star”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #321 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Average - a long way from 5 star”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip.

Overall this hotel is ok. I've stayed in some better 4 star hotels for less money and in better locations. The appearance of the hotel is a little overdone - the blue lights in the reception at night look cheap and the "artwork" is a bit dubious. My room was lovely - larger than average with comfy bed, loads of wardrobe space, a great desk/working area and large bathroom. The rain shower was great, but it would have been nice to have had a bath, espcially given that there was plenty of space for one. The wallpaper was scuffed in places, and the carpet had a few spot stains - I think it's small details like this that let this place down. You would certainly not get scuffed walks in a true 5 star! Although the room itself was great, it was a shame that I looked out into a builders yard and their offices! The light swtiches were strange in the room and it was a nightmare to try and get them all to turn on or off! The towels in the bathroom were thin and smelt stale.

Ther service at this hotel was hopeless. I can't decide whether the receptionist (same one when I checked in and out) was painfully shy or incredibly rude. Either way she is not cut out for front of house! There was no explanation of the hotels services or facilities or directions to find my room. I was handed a key card with a little scrap of paper sticking out with my room number written on it. When I checked out, I wasn't asked how my stay was, and I didn't get a thankyou.

The poor service continued at breakfast. I waited in the queue of 4 people at the reception desk to ask directions to the restaurant and eventually gave up and went for a wander myself. I waited in the restaurant to be seated and was convieniently ignored by all three waiting staff and when I approached one of them to ask for a table (I was in a rush to get to the office), they seemed surprised as if they hadn't walked past me several times while I was waiting! I waited at the table for my order to be taken as I wanted to order from the a la carte breakfast menu. After 10 minutes, I gave up and helped myself to the breakfast buffet, where the choices were pretty average. Eventually I was asked if I wanted tea/coffee. The view from the restaurant was lovely, it was just a shame that the tables and chairs on the terrace outside were still littered with half empty and a couple of broken glasses from a function the night before.

Location of the hotel ok - it's bit of a walk to/from Clapham junction station, but I quite enjoyed that. Really handy for getting to my office in Vauxhall.

I had a decent couple of nights sleep here, but in general feel that the hotel overpromised and under-delivered. If they work on the service and the details, then this could be a great hotel. I don't think I'd bother staying again though - there are better 4 star hotels in more central areas that I would prefer to stay at.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank monty69Edinburgh
Malcolm_Bass, Manager at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review. The policy of our hotel is very clear. Unlike other hotels where reviews are considered as a bane, and usually not properly responded to from day one, we have made a hotel policy to answer every negative review.

Lighting: You don’t have to go too far for lighting. Please Google search “Rafayel lighting” and you will see Rafayel lighting has Philips International video specially made on our lighting, case study by Community Lighting Philips International, case study on lighting by Architainment Lighting and many such articles. This has been properly designed. You may have a different taste but that’s a fact.

Bath/showers: Some rooms have rain showers and others have a bath. We are an ecofriendly hotel and have tried our best to have a balanced count of baths and showers in the rooms. 17 rooms contain baths while others have rain showers (Rain showers have both body and telephonic shower). You were upgraded from Mississippi Room (with bath) and were given the bigger Amazon room of 280 sq. ft. (that had a shower) as a gesture of corporate goodwill. We do accept it was our mistake to upgrade you to a larger room that lacked a bath.

We have investigated room 118, where you stayed, and have not discovered any apparent problems on the wallpaper. As far as spots are concerned, the room is carpeted in light grey so stains are inevitable, but we do have assigned people whose duty is to attack and clean these stains regularly with all possible ecofriendly cleaning agents. We try our best and regret that we disappointed you here. We will continue to work hard at removing stains from the carpets.

The Receptionist you refer to has been an employee with us for over 14 months. She is a highly professional individual and performs her duties well. It is standard procedure to inform every guest on arrival of all the facilities and special discounts and offers we have at the hotel, breakfast, spa and the restaurant.

We checked your arrival on CCTV and talked to the Reception. Yes there were guests queued in front of you but this is a normal thing. Your check in and check out procedures took approximately 3 minutes each time. We didn’t find any untoward delays accorded to you by our staff. Please appreciate we are a small hotel with nearly 80 full time and part time employees.

As for your breakfast experience, we have interviewed all three staff at breakfast. Yes, on Friday morning, there were a huge number of people at breakfast and we are sorry if you feel that you were neglected. Our staff are all experienced and are continuously prodded by us not to make any mistakes, but we were not satisfied with their explanations and have reprimanded them accordingly.

We are sorry you were not happy with the breakfast menu, but kindly look at our range on our blog. We serve eggs prepared to order and a full range of breads/croissants, fruit and fruit salads, yoghurts, cheese and meats. All for £9.95. Since TripAdvisor policy disallows posting links here, kindly visit our site to see the photos with details. If this is not enough, then we apologise.

On your comments on towels, we are very conscious of our linen and towels. Our towels are of good quality (450-550gms) and we wash them individually and not in mass laundry bundles. This is done to maintain quality control. Our housekeeping keeps a diligent eye on this. However, we are sorry they did not meet your high level of expectations.

Thank you for your appreciating our other points. We hope to welcome you again at the Hotel Rafayel for a better experience.

Kind Regards
The Management
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Polish first
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Recently stayed here for one night. Room absolutely fantastic, with plenty of places to eat and drink a short taxi ride away (although we did walk there and taxied back). There is a small restaurant on site but the hotel doesn't really do too much to advertise what's available and prices. Overall the value is brilliant and thought the hotel would be great for a couples or a small group of girls wanting a spa weekend with the draw of the bars not to far away.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Cheryl C
Whitchurch
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We have stayed in this hotel for a number of years, however, we decided to go back for another year with 5 people. The service on arrival was fantastic with friendly staff and well managed phone lines, so when we ran out of milk in the room (for example!) they were round within 5 minutes. Even in the early hours of the morning, on our return to the hotel, the staff wished us a good night and chatted to us in friendly manners.
The hotel is out of town a bit, but it is a 10minute walk from the station (however, a free shuttle service is available. We just chose not to use this).
I brought my PS3 along and we constantly had Ipods playing in surround sounds throughout the room and provided dock. The Jacuzzi bath was fantastic and every morning I woke up to an illuminated bath with relaxing jets, whilst watching TV!
The gym is a good size, and was quiet when we went. The jacuzzi and sauna were fantastic, however we were a little disappointed in the resistance pool (which is around 10ft by 4ft apx) and steam room, as both didn't really work to their full potential.
The price was fantastic, with the hotel doing me fantastic deal, which came up being about £10 more expensive than a travel lodge, in comparison! The prices of the mini-bar and food are expensive, but local shops are handy for shopping and getting in cheaper drinks.

Overall, We will definitely stay in this hotel next year.

Thanks very much

Room Tip: Re-arrange the room furniture and you'll get an even more spacious room! We moved the tables and...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peter E
Surrey
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I cant say anything about the hotel, food, spa etc as I checked in here a little bit worse for wear! I got a good deal on a Thames room and the view was as described.
The room itself was amazing with some lovely touches. Big well designed bathroom and many cool gadgets that I would have appreciated if I wasnt a little boozy!
Overall I would highly recommend this gem of a hotel to anyone and would like to stay here properly and enjoy everything it has to offer.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Norfolk
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I stayed here for business, only one word to describe the experience, excellent. The reception staff greet you with a wonderful smile, the rooms are exceptionally clean & well presented.
The view from room 201 was very pleasant, looking out over the Thames. The bar, the same as most London hotels was pricey, but the views from the panoramic windows make it well worth while.
It was a pity I did not have time to visit the spa, therefore cannot comment on that.
Hotel is situated approximately 10 mins from central London, therefore a £15 taxi ride takes you from the quiet tranquil setting straight into the hussel & bussel of the City.
Would most certainly stay here again

• Stayed April 2012