“Good food, questionable service”
Review of The Monsoon

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Spitalfields
Description: indisches Restaurant in der traditionsreichen Brick Lane London
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Five of us came here at 6pm without a booking and were seated straight away with promise of a free round of drinks (a glass of wine or beer).

All of the food was really tasty and was an adequate size portions and came reasonably quickly once ordered (took a little while to take the order in the first place).

Several things that let this restaurant down:

1) The order of a free drink was not properly passed on to the staff looking after us and we had to ask them to clarify it with the man outside before giving it to us - this was resolved reasonably quickly.

2) One of the waiting staff was extremely rude to one of the members of our group for asking for another tray of sauces for the poppadoms, despite earlier being told we could ask for more if we need it.

3) We asked for a specific bottle of wine (Merlot) and was given a much more expensive bottle then we asked for. When I questioned if this was the bottle I asked for I was assured it was despite the fact it had Cabernet on the label and not Merlot - at this point the bottle was exchange for the wine I had asked for.

I would not recommend eating here mainly for the poor service from some of the staff and the feeling that we we would be over charged if we did not keep an eye on what we had ordered and what we were receiving which left this experience being less then relaxing.This is such a shame as I would have recommended eating here as the food was lovely.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

It’s a best curry house at brick lane. It was my get together meeting with my friends first time at brick lane. The service was excellent. We sat down on 1st floor. Mr Shu and Mr Jorj served us. It was like a 5* treat that we had received. Although Mr Jorj made us laugh with his funny words “Shakira”.
“Good Food with Excellent service” highly recommendation for others...

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Promises made on the doorstep were not properly delivered - ie small glasses of complimentary beer rather than full ones. Food was less than average in quality. Fish was very boney and dry. Spicy hotness was delivered not through the sauce but by adding green chillis - a lazy, unauthentic culinary approach. I would definitely not recommend this restaurant and will not be returning.

1  Thank Steve8W
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were lured in by the promise of a free drink each and 20% off the bill - my hopes of a decent meal were no particularly high. However, we were really pleasantly surprised, this is authentic Bangladeshi food that tasted fantastic and seemed to be of a really high quality. The staff were friendly and funny, and the service excellent. The free drink was only a half pint each, but that's better than nothing. If you're confused by the all the different options on Brick Lane, I would recommend The Monsoon for a great value, very tasty meal

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

So we went to this restaurant because we were walking past. The guys outside said we'd get our drinks on the house and 20% discount so we weren't gonna complain. The interior had quite dim lighting and the decor is decent (it's generally clean which is great)

We ordered mains and I couldn't complain about my dish. The poppadoms were nice, along with a sweet mint sauce. There were 5 of us and we all ordered a spectrum of dishes. The menu is very long (maybe a bit too long) but we all managed to find something we wanted to eat. We ordered: one chicken madras, one lamb rogan josh, one lamb curry (basic curry), one biriyani (which came with its own curry sauce) and chicken curry (basic curry). We also had a rice and naan each.

Positives: The rice, naans, chicken madras, lamb curry and chicken curry were nice. The rogan Josh could have been better if there were more pieces but in terms of flavour it was acceptable.

Negatives: My friend ordered the biriyani and it didn't go down well. We all tried it (and as an Asian person myself), I knew it was overcooked, soft and lacked basic flavour. The curry sauce on the side didn't save the biriyani.

For a cheap bite, I think it's fine. I'd recommend it for the chicken madras. With the 20% discount and drinks it came to a decent price which I personally think is what you should be paying for anyway - nothing more. The staff were nice as well.

1  Thank Anni K