“Appalling hotel. Appalling service. Appalling LastMinute.com”

Best Western Maitrise Hotel
Ranked #766 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Appalling hotel. Appalling service. Appalling LastMinute.com”
Reviewed 8 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on Tuesday 3rd March 2012. Booked via lastminute.com who had this hotel at the top so suggests they were promoting this as part of some deal - which means they are just as guilty of the following appalling experience. Whilst booking I upgraded my room to an executive room raising the price from £75 to £90. Having arrived at 10:30pm I was checked into room 311. Having got to my room I was surprised to be in a room with a double bed and approximately 20 inches of floor space all around the bed. Getting into the bathroom resulted in the bathroom door hitting the bed because there was just not enough space to open the door fully. This was really how small the room was.

I went to reception and asked them to check whether I had been checked into an executive room as per my booking. I was told that I was in one of the VIP rooms. THIS IS THE FIRST LIE I WAS TOLD.

I asked just how small a standard room was and I was told that every room was exactly the same in the hotel. THERE'S THE 2ND LIE.

I asked exactly what an executive room was all about then? I was told that an executive room had a bottle of water in the room. I informed them that there was no bottle of water in my room. "Oh!" was the response.

I asked was this really what £15 extra bought? "Of course not Sir, you get use of the gym, but it is already closed and you will have left before it opens unfortunately."

Incredulous, I asked for confirmation that my executive room was in fact just a standard room with some "extras" which had nothing in fact to do with the room. "Oh, I forgot to mention sir, your executive room includes breakfast." When I asked how much breakfast would have cost if it was not included in my "executive" room I was told it would have cost £9:95!

So how's that for a bargain? A normal sized room, no water provided, no gym open and being charged £15 for a £10 breakfast. WHICH I NEVER EVER WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Asking to speak to thebmanager met with being told that he was not on duty until 8:00am the following day. More than an hour after I had left.

It was so ridiculous it was almost funny really. If it hadn't been so appalling. I gave up and went to bed.

The next day I contacted last minute.com to complain of mis-selling, breach of trading standards law and to mention that I would be complaining to the ASA. But their Indian call centre staff really couldn't appreciate the context of my complaint even though I was told that after repeating back to me everything that I had said to them that they were "sorry from the bottom of their hearts" for my experience! I asked to have my complaint elevated to the highest level in the UK complaints team to be told that this was handled by a team in Poland! At this point I gave up and wrote to lastminute.com and received an email back from....Poland saying that they took my complaint very seriously and would get back to me in 28 days!!

I decided to phone the hotel direct but having rung their general enquiries number gave up after the telephone rang for 15 minutes without anyone answering or any way of leaving a message.. The appalling service of the hotel continues. Why is there even the word quality in their hotel name!

The most ironic thing is that it seems that the General Manager will answer this review but no one answers their telephones!

Let's count the seconds until this post is answered with pointless platitudes.

Having reviewed their website it turns out that they have a 5th floor of executive rooms. So why was I told that having been checked into the 3rd floor I was in a VIP room? Your receptionist clearly lied to me. The rooms I guess were over-sold by lastminute.com and no one had the decency to be honest and re-imburse my money.

Appalling hotel. Appalling lying staff. And all made possible it seems by lastminute.com who have no interest in providing good customer service and rectifying their obvious errors.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank JamesTurner1963
Paul K, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for providing a review of your recent stay although I was disappointed to see that you were clearly not happy.

I am very sorry that your stay was not as it should have been.

I do agree with you that room 311 should not have been sold as VIP room due to the size & the lack of water in the room. I would have happily provided you with a refund of the £15 you paid for the upgrade.

However, I do feel that the review was quite harsh. English breakfast was included & so was a pass for the swimming pool, sauna & steam room in the Health Centre next door.

I don't believe that it is fair to say that we are an appalling hotel with appalling service because of this issue.

It is clear that we have an issue with the rating of this specific room but I do believe that this review was rather tough considering that you were highlighting what you said was an unfair charge of £15.

Please contact the hotel directly & I will arrange for a refund of the £15 you paid as I agree that this room was not a VIP.

Our sincere hope is that all guests leave us feeling satisfied having enjoyed their stay but it is clear that you did not & I apologise for that.

P Kennedy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Located in a quiet and safe neighbourhood, away from the hustle and bustle of zone 1 London. The tube station, Kilburn Park, and overground station Kilburn High Road are 5 mins walk from the hotel. There are also various buses to get to zone 1 London. The room was comfortable and the furnishing is of a high quality. However, the room was a bit small and the air con didn't seem to be working well. The room was warm even though the temperature was set at 16oC. In addition, the TV wasn't working but we were too lazy to inform the reception as we were leaving the next day. Reasonable price for a zone 2 London hotel.

Room Tip: Check whether the electronics are working in the room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zilojian
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We booked the Quality Maitrise online, via Lastminute.com, and had a very good price for the two nights we stayed (£35 Per Person Per Night). Had we paid full price for this hotel, we would have been very disappointed indeed.
As stated in other peoples reviews, the room was very warm. The air conditioning is poor. The window does not open and it was awfully hot. I would not want to stay there mid summer, it would be unbearable.
The room was very small.
The remote did not work from the bed and so we had to keep getting up to change the channel, and the TV kept switching itself off.
There is no plug socket close enough to the only mirror in the room for hair straighteners.
The staff were unfriendly, not rude but simply not bothered with you.
On the plus side the shower was AMAZING and the bed, although small, was incredibly comfortable. The whole hotel was very clean. The Tube is less than a 5 minute walk away.
With all things considered, we will not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Paul K, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from you recent stay with us.

I appreciate your honest opinion but naturally I was disapointed to read that you felt the staff to be unfriendly.

The team takes immense pride in their work & there was considerable disappointment from the team when I shared your comments with them.

I was concerned to read your notes about maintenance issues & we have rectified all these problems.

I do hope that you will change your mind & come & see us again as we would be delighted to try & make this up to you.

I fully understand how special a stay in a hotel is supposed to be so my sincere hope is that you will allow us the opportunity to give you the stay you deserve.

Newbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed here in March 2012, it seems to me that they have made a big effort to get the hotel and rooms to look nice and of a high standard, but, little things let the hotel down.

The staff were helpfull and friendly. We had a VIP room, it was nice and clean but the lightbulbs had either stopped working or just not fitted. The room was very hot and the air-con didn't work. The room had a window fitted over a window. I removed the first window (Im a carpenter) only to find the outer nailed shut. My god it was hot!! The mini bar wasnt plugged in just left on the floor and the tv didnt work.
If somebody just went around and looked at the rooms like a guest would just for five mins,it could be a fantastic hotel, they have done the hard part, the little things let the place down.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

Naturally I was disappointed to see that your stay was not what you had expected & I would like to apologise for this & address the concerns you have raised.

It is clear that there were many maintenance issues in the room & we should not have provided this room to you as it failed the standards that one would expect in any hotel in the world.

I personally check the bedrooms here in the hotel so it is very disappoiting that this particular room was not as it should have been.

This is not a normal occurence & I do hope that you will consider providing me with the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future so that we can redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Please contact me directly should you choose to return.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

On arrival the receptionist tried to charge us for two rooms instead of one. To be fair this may have been down to the booking agency, though the dates the receptionist gave us for when we were supposed to have booked were completely different to the date when we actually booked, suggesting the hotel had our booking mixed up with someone else. The area is horrible and we were harassed by beggars a couple of times walking from the tube to the hotel.

We could deal with both these problems and they would not stop us booking again as the hotel is convenient for access to central London. HOWEVER (and it is a big however), as others have stated, the rooms are uncomfortably hot and this definitely would prevent us returning to the hotel. Turning the air con down to its lowest setting does ease the problem slightly from unbearable to merely stifling. It was impossible to get a good nights sleep.

This is a shame as the hotel is good for the price. The rooms are small, but not too small, and they are comfortable with good complimentary refreshments, tea, coffee, biscuits etc. Didn't use the bar but it also looked nice. I notice the manager reads these reviews so perhaps he could explain why the rooms are so hot as it ruins an otherwise good hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Paul K, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for providing a review from your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that you were not completely satisfied with everything & I would like to apologise for the inconvience caused.

I am aware that some of our rooms appear to be too warm & at the moment we are carrying out a programme that should enable the air conditioning to be much more efficient in reducing the room temperature.

I read your comments about the local area but I can assure you that Maida Vale is one of the most pleasant neighbourhoods in London but of course the problem that you reported is quite common throughout the city.

I do hope that you will reconsider & choose to visit us again & I would be delighted to assist with your booking if you do decide to allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

I look forward to hearing from you.