“Room very small, staff not friendly”

BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel
Ranked #799 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Room very small, staff not friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We booked the Quality Maitrise online, via Lastminute.com, and had a very good price for the two nights we stayed (£35 Per Person Per Night). Had we paid full price for this hotel, we would have been very disappointed indeed.
As stated in other peoples reviews, the room was very warm. The air conditioning is poor. The window does not open and it was awfully hot. I would not want to stay there mid summer, it would be unbearable.
The room was very small.
The remote did not work from the bed and so we had to keep getting up to change the channel, and the TV kept switching itself off.
There is no plug socket close enough to the only mirror in the room for hair straighteners.
The staff were unfriendly, not rude but simply not bothered with you.
On the plus side the shower was AMAZING and the bed, although small, was incredibly comfortable. The whole hotel was very clean. The Tube is less than a 5 minute walk away.
With all things considered, we will not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Paul K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from you recent stay with us.

I appreciate your honest opinion but naturally I was disapointed to read that you felt the staff to be unfriendly.

The team takes immense pride in their work & there was considerable disappointment from the team when I shared your comments with them.

I was concerned to read your notes about maintenance issues & we have rectified all these problems.

I do hope that you will change your mind & come & see us again as we would be delighted to try & make this up to you.

I fully understand how special a stay in a hotel is supposed to be so my sincere hope is that you will allow us the opportunity to give you the stay you deserve.

P Kennedy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Newbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed here in March 2012, it seems to me that they have made a big effort to get the hotel and rooms to look nice and of a high standard, but, little things let the hotel down.

The staff were helpfull and friendly. We had a VIP room, it was nice and clean but the lightbulbs had either stopped working or just not fitted. The room was very hot and the air-con didn't work. The room had a window fitted over a window. I removed the first window (Im a carpenter) only to find the outer nailed shut. My god it was hot!! The mini bar wasnt plugged in just left on the floor and the tv didnt work.
If somebody just went around and looked at the rooms like a guest would just for five mins,it could be a fantastic hotel, they have done the hard part, the little things let the place down.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

Naturally I was disappointed to see that your stay was not what you had expected & I would like to apologise for this & address the concerns you have raised.

It is clear that there were many maintenance issues in the room & we should not have provided this room to you as it failed the standards that one would expect in any hotel in the world.

I personally check the bedrooms here in the hotel so it is very disappoiting that this particular room was not as it should have been.

This is not a normal occurence & I do hope that you will consider providing me with the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future so that we can redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Please contact me directly should you choose to return.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

On arrival the receptionist tried to charge us for two rooms instead of one. To be fair this may have been down to the booking agency, though the dates the receptionist gave us for when we were supposed to have booked were completely different to the date when we actually booked, suggesting the hotel had our booking mixed up with someone else. The area is horrible and we were harassed by beggars a couple of times walking from the tube to the hotel.

We could deal with both these problems and they would not stop us booking again as the hotel is convenient for access to central London. HOWEVER (and it is a big however), as others have stated, the rooms are uncomfortably hot and this definitely would prevent us returning to the hotel. Turning the air con down to its lowest setting does ease the problem slightly from unbearable to merely stifling. It was impossible to get a good nights sleep.

This is a shame as the hotel is good for the price. The rooms are small, but not too small, and they are comfortable with good complimentary refreshments, tea, coffee, biscuits etc. Didn't use the bar but it also looked nice. I notice the manager reads these reviews so perhaps he could explain why the rooms are so hot as it ruins an otherwise good hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Paul K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for providing a review from your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that you were not completely satisfied with everything & I would like to apologise for the inconvience caused.

I am aware that some of our rooms appear to be too warm & at the moment we are carrying out a programme that should enable the air conditioning to be much more efficient in reducing the room temperature.

I read your comments about the local area but I can assure you that Maida Vale is one of the most pleasant neighbourhoods in London but of course the problem that you reported is quite common throughout the city.

I do hope that you will reconsider & choose to visit us again & I would be delighted to assist with your booking if you do decide to allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

I look forward to hearing from you.

P Kennedy

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Southam, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Upon my arrival the receptionist was rude and very unhelpful. The room was exceptionally small and smelt of damp. When I checked the mattress it had stains on it. The room was extremely hot and felt claustrophobic. when I complained I was told what do you expect for the money you've paid.

I followed up my complaint to the GM who has not had the common courtesy to respond, but hardly surprising judging by the attitude of his staff.

Considering this is the hospitality industry there was nothing hospitable about my stay, In fact I've stayed at many establishments across the world and encountered far superior service as opposed to this over rated poorly run establishment.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank wilma r
Paul K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for providing a review regarding your recent stay with us.

I was very disappointed to read your comments but I would like to explain that I have not received any communication from you.

It is my sincere hope & desire that all guests enjoy their stay but it is clear that you did not.

Naturally I am keen to resolve any concerns that you have & I would very much appreciate it if you contacted me directly so that we can clear this matter up.

I look forward to hearing from you.

gm@maitrisehotels.com
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend for my birthday. It is a lovely hotel not in the best location but tube and train stations are just a few minutes walk away. The bedrooms are small but nicely decorated however they do get hot but that is what the air con is for. The view from the room was just awful. The only thing I would say is that the staff aren't friendly at all and some couldn't speak much English. With the restaurant being closed in the hotel and us not knowing the area we wanted somewhere local for dinner. We looked online and found some restaurants but the staff couldn't understand and tell us directions, I think the staff should take time to know the area as I feel it's part of the job to be able to recommend and explain to tourists where things are. Breakfast was okay but the service needs to be stepped up a notch.

2 Thank Eliz C
Paul K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for providing a review from your recent stay.

I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay but I was quite disappointed that you felt the staff were not friendly.

I can appreciate that some of our rooms do not have much of a view but as we are in a residential area it can be difficult to provide a view. Some rooms overlook the main street so perhaps we could allocate one of these for you if you choose to return.

I can vouch for the fact that all of the staff speak good English so I was also disappointed that this was not case with the person you spoke to. I interview every candidate & the ability to communicate with guests is essential & staff are not employed if they don't speak English.

The Reception Team have a good knowledge of the local area & are always available for any enquiries or recommendations.

I do hope that you will consider returning to us so that we have the opportunity to put things right.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.