“Sit, eat and go - ok if you are catching a train!”

London Steakhouse Co - City
Ranked #436 of 22,827 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 78
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Spitalfields
Description: The London Steakhouse Company is a traditional steakhouse in the heart of the Square Mile, serving a mouth-watering choice of steak cuts and a range of timeless English dishes. Its discreet entrance, just off bustling Bishopsgate, leads you into an archetypal steakhouse dining room, complete with a stylish cocktail bar. As well as the finest quality steaks, the menu features grilled and roast meats, fish mainboards and classic English puddings. The London Steakhouse Company is popular during the week with the City for client entertaining and boasts a private dining room that seats up to 30 guests. At the weekend, local residents and discerning steak lovers enjoy great food at this hip location just off Spitalfields.
Ilford, United Kingdom
“Sit, eat and go - ok if you are catching a train!”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We were given a voucher as a gift for a meal.

As we were part of a voucher offer, we both felt we were treated as second class customers and got the impression they were laughing at us. Their customer base are probably city workers and tourists who choose from the main menu but we were given a different menu for a main and dessert.

Now I would prefer a starter and main but we were told only main and dessert. However, on confirming our booking the husband said that we do not eat dessert and was told that we could have cheese and biscuits instead.

So, after a champagne cocktail we ordered steak and liver which were both very acceptable. Bit disappointed with the size of vegetable dishes, rather small - but the mashed potatoes and spinach were lovely. Why though charge an extra 20p for chips - seems a bit petty?

My wine didn't arrive and as I had almost finished my meal, I cancelled the wine but it did come eventually "on the house" as it was an error! thanks v. much.

My bread was taken before I was finished, give me a chance to eat it. Don't put cutlery or glasses down because they get taken away before you know it.

So when I asked for cheese, I was then told another £4 supplement - honestly, why is everything on that menu extra and with supplements. So I stuck with the panna cotta - quite nice.

If you want to know our overall experience, the staff over attentive, leave us alone. We were out within the hour, would have been ok if we were rushing to get our train home but it was still early and I didn't feel that we enjoyed our experience.

I don't appreciate our table being cleared while we are still sitting there, give us a chance to get up and go.

I have to say the ladies toilet was absolutely spotless.

Would I come again, don't think so, I am not a city worker or tourist so don't really feel welcome. Shame because I really enjoy seeing MPW on the tv but didn't enjoy his restaurant.

One final thing. Thought it was a bit rich the restaurant charging 12.5% service on the value of the pre-paid voucher.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank crunchieH
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent value for money...”
Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went for a meal on Saturday for our anniversary after obtaining a voucher off a website!

The food was amazing... There was a good selection to choose from too! Usually you only get a couple of choices! We both really enjoyed all the menu choices we made! I personally thought the steak was lovely.. Cooked just as I asked!

I would highly recommend visiting this restaurant and so conveniently situated near Liverpool street station!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Bad staff, it felt like we were an inconvenience!”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We are in London often and love a great meal out. We like the usual places that are over the top on price but deliver on the atmosphere, decent food and over all experience so the evening is indeed good value. Because every one has a nice time and the balance of the experience is rounded. For example, popular restaurants like the Ivy, the Wolseley or the Dean street town house. They are busy for a reason… Even if your money is politely removed from your wallet, it feels good to part with it.
Poor old Marco, he has staff mugging the poor punters at this place and I am sure it is not the intention. The food was OK-to Good no real issue there and the French male manager was attentive and polite but seriously the rest of the staff treated our table of 6 like we were a real inconvenience, we arrived at 9.30 on a Saturday evening with a booked table. Not a good idea, I think there is a culture of… "Its quiet on weekends so we will finish earlier on a Saturday night." we were really rushed to order as the kitchen was closing? The starters were out like a fast food chain and some of the mains arrived before we had finished the starter? But some others were 10mins later? All delivered without a smile as the restaurant was cleaned down and prepped for closing. The overall atmosphere was strange too, can't put my finger on it but it was uncomfortable.
Marco here’s a tip; this place is clearly not loved. It may be ok for boozy city trader lunches but fall on your sword and shut at weekends the staff don't want to be there. (Except the poor French manager, trying to keep it together). The rest need to get a job out side the service industry where how you treat the punter earns the tips. They can start by smiling I guess?
My advice, don't waist your money, your time or life at a place that see the customer as an inconvenience there are too many great places for this one to even be in the running.
Sorry Marco but this is not worth putting your name to.
Good luck you will need it. We paid over £350 for our diner. Yes there were six of us but we took no desert or coffee.
Anyway it’s not the cash, good food and wine in London has its price, that’s cool. The fact that we could of spent our evening somewhere else is the issue. We can always earn more money but that Saturday even was stolen and we can’t get it back. We were mugged miserable staff in an average room with ok food. All in all a very disappointing evening and a total waist of time and money.

10 Thank greatblackshark
London, United Kingdom
“Above Average Staff But Very Basic Food”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Positives:
- Very friendly and responsive staff
- You can get very nice and intimate table for two if you ask for them in advance on the wall opposite of the bar (we didn't know and did not have that luck)
Negatives:
- The food is very basic, particularly the main dishes. True we did not have the steak which seems to be the big hit but did not look special either. To give you an example the haddock fish I had is better at the canteen in my work (and costs £5),
- Very noisy place
Neutral:
- They serve quite fast and you can leave the place within one hour if you want to although the waiters don't put any particular pressure on you. At least it was the case for us. We came with a voucher and set menu from travel zoo.

2 Thank Madrider86
Essex
“Good value menu and great steak”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I booked a deal with book a table and I was impressed, the food and service was good and the steak was very impressive, cooked to perfection and very tasty I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a quality steak and a fab champagne cocktail. Defiantly value for money

• Visited April 2012
StrayBullet, General Manager at London Steakhouse Co - City, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your meal.
Kind regards
Ryan

Been to London Steakhouse Co - City? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK