“Disappointing, curt service.”

Ranked #9,244 of 25,561 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 19 - US$ 32
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Spitalfields
Description: Situated on Artillery Passage, moments from Liverpool Street station, Grapeshots brims with character and charm. The wood panelling, hessian-clad walls and wine related artifacts collected over the years by the Davy family create a genuine, warm atmosphere. Food focuses on quality British classics with salads, a small plate selection and sandwiches for those who want a lighter bite. The wine list features well-chosen bottles from old and new world; and a selection of premium ales are also available, as well as the ever popular Old Wallop drawn into pewter tankards.
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Having been to this bar many times before, I thought it would be a perfect pit stop for a quick drink with my mum on my birthday before we headed on to our dinner plans nearby.

How wrong I was. Arriving around 5.30pm, we were treated like a nuisance by the Irish lady behind the bar & made to feel like our custom wasn't valued.

She was on the verge of outright rudeness to my mother when she asked a simple question about the drinks choices. She also insisted that we move to a table in the corner rather than the one next to the heater when it was heavily snowing outside and the bar was empty when we arrived.

For the sake of transparency, the table next to the heater was reserved, but had no time on it, we explained we would be happy to move as soon as the reservation arrived, and enquired as to what time that would be.

The lady immediately looked at the clock and said 5.30pm and insisted we moved straight away, which was fair enough. Apart from that when we left at 6.15pm - no one had arrived to take the table.

I also overheard a conversation during my time there with another table of guests who had child with them. In my opinion, having worked in hospitality, they were also treated poorly, with insistence on where they were allowed to sit issued after they had sat down & brought some drinks, rather than beforehand.

This sour experience is a real shame as it's left a bad tarnish on what I otherwise viewed as a decent establishment in the look effort. On my birthday, no less.

The wine is fine, but the service, and lack of politeness, leaves a lot to be desired.

2  Thank Deborah W
GrapeshotsManager, Manager at Grapeshots, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Dear Deborah,
Thank you for taking the time to write the review of your visit last Friday. We welcome all feedback positive or otherwise as it allows us to improve. My apologies you feel your visit did not meet our usual customer service standards. We value all our customers, if they have booked or not, and I am sorry you felt you did not experience this on this visit.
Grapeshots has been here for nearly 40 years as a bar and subsequently we have some regular customers who enjoy the ability to request their favourite seats after work. Generally they arrive between 5.30-6pm for their evening drink and this is why the table you wanted was reserved without a specified time. In hindsight it was my mistake to not let you enjoy the table next to the heater prior to their arrival, please accept my apologies for this. Though it is our normal company policy to do just that I expected the reservation to arrive imminently.
Regarding the table with the child, although I did not speak to them myself, I have discussed this with who did, and can advise they were simply told there was more space for them and their child downstairs should they wish to move, but they choose not to take us up on this offer. We have a lovely basement dining room that many people are not aware of and we were simply highlighting they may be more comfortable.
If you wish to discuss this further with me please feel free to email the bar direct. I would be happy to help.
Kind regards
Fiona
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 23 February 2018

It's a wine bar down an alleyway. Nowt the matter with that, but the lager they sell ain't mainstream and it's very very fruity. In fact I only bought a half and couldn't finish it. Having said that, you could drink vodka, cos the place is worth a visit. It's right in the middle of Jack the Ripper territory [We saw a tour going past. About 30 people] and if they just had candlelight it would be as spooky as flip, and you could imagine lots of nasty people being in there. It's not big but there's more room downstairs. Can't comment about the food, but a lot of people were in there eating. It's not cheap. 6 drinks were £36 and change. Go on, give it a try.

Dear Rhagnar,
Thank you very much for your feedback and lovely compliments.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your experience at Grapeshots and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the entire team.
Regarding our beer range, we do have a wide range of alternative beers available by the bottle and would be happy to advise on them when you're next in the area.
Hope you also try our food, featuring many great tasting dishes, made with freshest ingredients of the season.
We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Yours sincerely,
Bruno da Silva
Manager Grapeshots

Reviewed 7 February 2018

A very small but atmospheric wine bar/restaurant in Spitalfields. The service is good if the place is medium busy; I would not like to be here if the bar was heaving, as they do not have enough staff. However, once you are seated and have your drinks, the place is a reminder of old London and the back alleys of Spitalfields. A gem.

GrapeshotsManager, General Manager at Grapeshots, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Dear Gracie,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was very pleased to read your comments about Grapeshots and to learn that you enjoyed your visit, our restaurant atmosphere and our service. We pride ourselves on excellent levels of service, which is evident from the many positive reviews on this forum. I can assure you that we do have enough staff working on busy nights to make sure we always deliver the best service possible to our guests.
Hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Yours sincerely,
Bruno da Silva
Manager

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

My first time here last night with friends.
Small venue but very cosy and buzzing.
We had dinner downstairs in an intimate setting. Our waitress was so very nice. She was not in any way intrusive and served us with a smile and well organised efficiency. We had a mixture of foods, both starters & Mains and we enjoyed them all thoroughly.
The Goats cheese starter is worth a revisit alone. The portions were perfect and the red wine, a little Rioja, was gorgeous.
My only gripe would be that the music was too loud for a proper conversation over dinner but they did in fact turn it down a little for our benefit.
Really enjoyed the evening and would definitely go again. Also a nice place if you just want a few drinks.

Reviewed 24 November 2017

We chose Grapeshots for its proximity to Liverpool Street station, enabling me to linger a while and not miss my crucial train. We arrived, were greeted and led to our downstairs table by our waitress, who was friendly and attentive.

The menu is small but sufficient to accommodate most tastes, especially those who like traditional English food. I chose the soup, which our waitress said was 'predominantly beany'. It was obviously made - not out of a packet - but I was disappointed that it was accompanied by two triangles of standard sliced bread.

I followed with the sausages and mash, served with battered onion rings and Madiera gravy. There's a choice of two or three sausages. I chose three but wish I'd ordered two because they're large and solid! However, I did justice to the meal and finished them. Most of us accompanied our meals with the house claret.

Time didn't permit me to order a third course, the service being perhaps a little too relaxed, so I left my companions to finish their meal. Comfortable and friendly, it has an old-fashioned 'chop house' atmosphere. Recommended.