“Nee Proper Lager”

Ranked #9,618 of 25,450 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 19 - US$ 32
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Spitalfields
Description: Situated on Artillery Passage, moments from Liverpool Street station, Grapeshots brims with character and charm. The wood panelling, hessian-clad walls and wine related artifacts collected over the years by the Davy family create a genuine, warm atmosphere. Food focuses on quality British classics with salads, a small plate selection and sandwiches for those who want a lighter bite. The wine list features well-chosen bottles from old and new world; and a selection of premium ales are also available, as well as the ever popular Old Wallop drawn into pewter tankards.
Reviewed 23 February 2018

It's a wine bar down an alleyway. Nowt the matter with that, but the lager they sell ain't mainstream and it's very very fruity. In fact I only bought a half and couldn't finish it. Having said that, you could drink vodka, cos the place is worth a visit. It's right in the middle of Jack the Ripper territory [We saw a tour going past. About 30 people] and if they just had candlelight it would be as spooky as flip, and you could imagine lots of nasty people being in there. It's not big but there's more room downstairs. Can't comment about the food, but a lot of people were in there eating. It's not cheap. 6 drinks were £36 and change. Go on, give it a try.

GrapeshotsManager, Manager at Grapeshots, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Dear Rhagnar,
Thank you very much for your feedback and lovely compliments.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your experience at Grapeshots and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the entire team.
Regarding our beer range, we do have a wide range of alternative beers available by the bottle and would be happy to advise on them when you're next in the area.
Hope you also try our food, featuring many great tasting dishes, made with freshest ingredients of the season.
We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Yours sincerely,
Bruno da Silva
Manager Grapeshots

Reviewed 7 February 2018

A very small but atmospheric wine bar/restaurant in Spitalfields. The service is good if the place is medium busy; I would not like to be here if the bar was heaving, as they do not have enough staff. However, once you are seated and have your drinks, the place is a reminder of old London and the back alleys of Spitalfields. A gem.

GrapeshotsManager, General Manager at Grapeshots, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Dear Gracie,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was very pleased to read your comments about Grapeshots and to learn that you enjoyed your visit, our restaurant atmosphere and our service. We pride ourselves on excellent levels of service, which is evident from the many positive reviews on this forum. I can assure you that we do have enough staff working on busy nights to make sure we always deliver the best service possible to our guests.
Hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Yours sincerely,
Bruno da Silva
Manager

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

My first time here last night with friends.
Small venue but very cosy and buzzing.
We had dinner downstairs in an intimate setting. Our waitress was so very nice. She was not in any way intrusive and served us with a smile and well organised efficiency. We had a mixture of foods, both starters & Mains and we enjoyed them all thoroughly.
The Goats cheese starter is worth a revisit alone. The portions were perfect and the red wine, a little Rioja, was gorgeous.
My only gripe would be that the music was too loud for a proper conversation over dinner but they did in fact turn it down a little for our benefit.
Really enjoyed the evening and would definitely go again. Also a nice place if you just want a few drinks.

Reviewed 24 November 2017

We chose Grapeshots for its proximity to Liverpool Street station, enabling me to linger a while and not miss my crucial train. We arrived, were greeted and led to our downstairs table by our waitress, who was friendly and attentive.

The menu is small but sufficient to accommodate most tastes, especially those who like traditional English food. I chose the soup, which our waitress said was 'predominantly beany'. It was obviously made - not out of a packet - but I was disappointed that it was accompanied by two triangles of standard sliced bread.

I followed with the sausages and mash, served with battered onion rings and Madiera gravy. There's a choice of two or three sausages. I chose three but wish I'd ordered two because they're large and solid! However, I did justice to the meal and finished them. Most of us accompanied our meals with the house claret.

Time didn't permit me to order a third course, the service being perhaps a little too relaxed, so I left my companions to finish their meal. Comfortable and friendly, it has an old-fashioned 'chop house' atmosphere. Recommended.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Service was a bit slow to begin with but the food when it came was very good.The potato and salmon salad had an extra kick from the addition of horseradish which worked really well.My main of confit of duck was excellent,tasty didn,t do it justice and there was ample meat.My colleague had the fish and chips which turned into a clearance job,ie I didn,t manage to get any of the chips!! Two bottles of a tasty red at just over £25 a go rounded things off nicely.If I remember correctly it was in this area that the gunners of Henry 8th used to practice hence the name of this establishment.