“Evening Meal”

Ranked #9,608 of 25,420 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 19 - US$ 32
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Spitalfields
Description: Situated on Artillery Passage, moments from Liverpool Street station, Grapeshots brims with character and charm. The wood panelling, hessian-clad walls and wine related artifacts collected over the years by the Davy family create a genuine, warm atmosphere. Food focuses on quality British classics with salads, a small plate selection and sandwiches for those who want a lighter bite. The wine list features well-chosen bottles from old and new world; and a selection of premium ales are also available, as well as the ever popular Old Wallop drawn into pewter tankards.
Reviewed 24 November 2017

We chose Grapeshots for its proximity to Liverpool Street station, enabling me to linger a while and not miss my crucial train. We arrived, were greeted and led to our downstairs table by our waitress, who was friendly and attentive.

The menu is small but sufficient to accommodate most tastes, especially those who like traditional English food. I chose the soup, which our waitress said was 'predominantly beany'. It was obviously made - not out of a packet - but I was disappointed that it was accompanied by two triangles of standard sliced bread.

I followed with the sausages and mash, served with battered onion rings and Madiera gravy. There's a choice of two or three sausages. I chose three but wish I'd ordered two because they're large and solid! However, I did justice to the meal and finished them. Most of us accompanied our meals with the house claret.

Time didn't permit me to order a third course, the service being perhaps a little too relaxed, so I left my companions to finish their meal. Comfortable and friendly, it has an old-fashioned 'chop house' atmosphere. Recommended.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Service was a bit slow to begin with but the food when it came was very good.The potato and salmon salad had an extra kick from the addition of horseradish which worked really well.My main of confit of duck was excellent,tasty didn,t do it justice and there was ample meat.My colleague had the fish and chips which turned into a clearance job,ie I didn,t manage to get any of the chips!! Two bottles of a tasty red at just over £25 a go rounded things off nicely.If I remember correctly it was in this area that the gunners of Henry 8th used to practice hence the name of this establishment.

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Went to the restaurant downstairs. Good friendly service. Rather empty so not a lot of atmosphere. Tasty food and good portions. The house red wine was delicious. Reasonably priced. The toilets definitely need decorating!

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Popped in on a recent visit to London, excellent beers with and option to have a glass or proper tankard.
Really friendly entertaining staff who made us very welcome.
Will definitely be returning.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

This little wine bar and restaurant in the heart of Jack The Ripper territory (Liverpool Street, Whitechapel and Aldgate) is a gorgeous little bar/restaurant.
It is a quirky place that feels like it was built in Dickens times !
The wine list is great and not too expensive.
The food is delicious and again v reasonable- I had the most succulent fish n chips!
Best part was the manager - Bruno, he was so attentive and really made sure we enjoyed ourself- he is a diamond!