“Afternoon Tea - AMAZING”
Review of The Kensington

The Kensington
Ranked #36 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea - AMAZING”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Few days ago went there with my friend to celebrate my birthday. As we had the 2 for 1 voucher, we paid half price, but would definitely pay a full price - the afternoon tea was simply amazing! The vegetarian sandwiches could be more interesting, but still really enjoyable! Desserts were the best I have ever had. And the service was really good - we spent there 4 hours just chatting and nobody gave us any kind of gesture to leave - really nice! Definitely will come again!

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kamile P
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear EmilyLy,

Firstly thank you for choosing Aubrey at The Kensington Hotel to celebrate your birthday. We were very happy to celebrate with you. We were further pleased to read that you so enjoyed your special day with us, your kind words will be passed along to our team here. Lastly I wanted to express our gratitude for you taking the time write a review and sharing your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Aubrey or maybe even for a stay at The Kensington Hotel soon.

The General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The location of this hotel next to Old Brompton Road means there is a wide range of restaurants covering all sorts of cuisines and price ranges. The Sth Kensington tube station is also very close and on a good line for getting to popular sites.

Similarly to other reviewers, we enjoyed the downstairs rooms, especially with the fire going on a chilly March day. The breakfast gets a bit boring after a few days as the range of the buffet is small and generally unvarying.

Typically for London the room was small but clean and comfortable. There didn't seem to be anyway of controlling the room temperature but luckily the window could be opened to let in some fresh air and the street was quiet. One thing that really annoyed us was that the bar fridge had sealed compartments for each minibar item, which meant it was impossible to put anything of your own in it. The fresh milk that my wife loves to have with her tea had to go out on the window sill in the luckily very cool outside air.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aussie7leagueboots
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Aussie7leagueboots,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your experience of The Kensington Hotel. Your willingness to offer feedback is both welcome and appreciated. We were thrilled to read that you so enjoyed the lounge and lobby areas, in particular the fireplaces. Your experience of our breakfast buffet, however, was disappointing; our menus are currently being reviewed by our Chefs we hope you will enjoy it further on your next visit.

In regards to your room while we are glad you found our rooms comfortable and clean we were saddened that you experienced problems. Thank you for highlighting the issue you experienced with your air conditioning unit we have highlighted it with our service providers. As to the mini-bar, it is an automated system however small fridges can be provided upon request.

Should you be returning to London we hope you think of us at The Kensington Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you.

Kind regards,

Cambridge
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This is an ok hotel as a place to crash in London. It is not too expensive, ok rooms, in an older building, that is nice in the lobby, lounge and bar, but upstairs looks quite dated and tired. The rooms are ok, but not 5 star. The bathroom I had again was ok, but with a shower in the bath, and a leaking shower screen, it all felt a little tired. It can be noisy, with no sound insulation or glazing of the window in my room, and I doubt in the others, don't expect a peaceful night's sleep. Does the job, probably value for money, ok location for the museums.

Room Tip: Get as high a floor as possible. Avoid rooms looking out onto the Old Brompton Road.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank drivervet
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Drivervet,
Firstly I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate these things take time and wanted to extend my gratitude, your feedback as is both valued and useful.
I was disappointed to read that you were dissatisfied with your room on this occasion and found your room noisy. Please be assured that our management team and I take these comments very seriously and I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention, it is only with our guest’s feedback that we can continue to improve. We do have a quite a range of room categories that generally cater for most tastes so please do not hesitate to contact me personally or any member of our team should you return to London and we can arrange for a room to meet your specific needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kensington Hotel in the near future.

Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This hotel is a gem. Cozy rooms but super well appointed. Clean, service and staff are phenomenal. Restaurant and room service very good.

It is a non-smoking hotel. However on my second night I began to smell cigarette smoke filling my room. I called the front desk and was told that my floor the 4th floor was a smoking floor, even though the hotel advertises that it is nonsmoking. They apologized and offered a complimentary glass of wine, but really should tell guests this on check in.

Other then this little hiccup, the place met my expectations.

Also no on site parking, but if you park in front of the hotel at a metered space the valet will keep the meter full so you don't get a ticket.

Room Tip: Avoid 4th floor - It is a smoking floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank WHS831
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear WHS831,

Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us. I was thrilled to read that you thought so highly of Aubrey Restaurant and the service you received from our team. I have already passed on your kind words and the are greatly appreciated.
I was, however, disappointed to hear that your experience was tarnished by the fact our smoking policy was not explained to you. This is not our usual level of service. The majority of our rooms and all public areas are non-smoking however we have designated the fourth floor as smoking to accommodate our guests that smoke. On your next visit to London please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly to ensure that you are not allocated a smoking again.

Lastly I would like to extend our gratitude for your review, I understand it takes time we are grateful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Kensington Hotel in the near future.

Lone Tree, Colorado
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Quiet area, exceptional service. Rooms are very European (very small by US standards) but well kept. We did experience an annoying fire alarm one night for quite some time due to some moron leaving a shower on while they passed out drunk and which took a very long time to turn off which is why I give 4 stars instead of 5. Staff are exceptionally friendly. Tube station is only 2-3 blocks away. Location is good for quiet area but is a ways from the happening parts of central London like Picadilly and Soho. Hotel was expensive by US standards (around $350 per night, 220 pounds) but not by London standards. I don't think there is a really nice hotel in London that is a good value - all the nicer hotels are expensive.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CedarFallsIowa
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear CedarFallsIowa,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of The Kensington Hotel. I appreciate it takes time and were are grateful. I am happy to hear that our staff treated you so well and overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I was disappointed that your experience was marred by the fire alarm, investigating the source of an alarm can, unfortunately, take some time. I hope you was not too disturbed.

Thank you once again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.