“Dissapointing”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 287.82*
and up
Private Tour: Traditional Black Cab Tour of...
Ranked #62 of 230 Outdoor Activities in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hyde Park Stables is dedicated to providing a high standard of horse riding and horse riding instruction for adults and children, from five years of age and older. Hyde Park Stables, built around 1835 is the oldest public stables in Central London. Bathurst Mews, where we are located, is the last remaining working mews. We offer group horse riding for all levels, semi-private riding for couples or small private groups or private one to one tuition. We cater for visitors who want to improve their horse riding ability as well as for regular riders who want to learn from the beginning, or for those who are coming back to the sport to re-learn their skills and regain their fitness levels. We also offer one-off rides for visitors who want to experience beautiful Hyde Park from the back of a horse. Our dedicated team escort you around Hyde Park for lesson-rides or for the most scenic of rides in Central London.
Reviewed 5 September 2018

It’s hard to decide how many points to give because the fact that Hyde Park is really beautiful is not really an accomplishment of the Stables. Anyway, I was put on a horse and the horse was put on a lead and only after some steps did the instructor introduce herself. Also, the instructor’s horse didn’t like other horses passing him close by, so whenever I tried to ride next to the instructor, she shortened the lead and so we were close and her horse threatened (normal rank behaviour among horses) mine, so it fell back again.
Then, over her shoulder, she asked about our riding experience, and, looking back, I should have talked myself up, but I don’t like doing that and I only had a short time to answer (I think I forgot to mention that I do cross-country rides). She left me on the lead and the other rider was taken off (own horse at home). And really, I dont’t understand why. The instructor didn’t explain it to me. And from that moment on she didn’t really talk to me any more, which was probably because my horse was riding at her horse’s bud (reason See above) and the other person was free to keep just a little more distance and thus ride next to the instructor. Honestly, I felt a bit like the idiot.
And I have to say that I recommend you only spend the money if you are a complete beginner and just like the experience of going through Hyde Park on horseback, or if you are 1,000% sure that they will let you off the lead. For me it felt like a kiddy-ride and since the horses are well behaved and Hyde Park is no mountain region (where I ride out) it was not a lot of fun, because it had nothing to do with riding a horse, it was sitting on a horse. The lead must have been uncomfortable for the horse and so he would rather listen to the commands given through the lead than anything I could have done.
I had been looking forward to this very much and it was very disappointing, I absolutely understand that you are taken on the lead while crossing the streets to Hyde Park, but the rest of the ride was so easy that I honestly don’t understand why I wasn’t taken off and in the constellation with this particular instructor and her particular horse, it was not a lot of fun. I think, if the instructor had talked to me at all about this and maybe explained the reason, I could have been clearer about my experience. Or if it had been her assessment of my riding skills while I was on horseback, she might even have been able to tell me what I can do better. I could have learned something. But, as I said, I was the one on the lead at the rear end.
In the courtyard, I got off the horse, the instructor was gone. She didn’t even say ‘Goodbye’ or ‘Have a nice day’ which I think is the least anyone can expect.
If you really think you have to go through Hyde Park on horseback (you can explore on foot much better), make sure you talk yourself up. Don’t lie, but make sure the instructor knows all the good details. Don’t rely on his/her insepection on horseback because he she will be riding ahead of you und won’t be able to see a lot of you.
If you do the ride, I really hope you’ll have more fun than I did. For me, it wasn’t worth the money, because I was so frustrated in the end that it took some time for me to enjoy London again. And that’s not really something I want to pay a lot of money for.

Date of experience: September 2018
3  Thank RebeccaG3440
Chandler N, Front Office Manager at Hyde Park Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Dear Rebecca,

I apologise that you feel like you didn't get the most out of your ride through Hyde Park with us, and I apologise that you feel like you were mostly ignored during your ride. Our instructors must keep all clients horses heads by their knees in order to give the lead horse more space and this also gives more comfort while riding for clients as well.

During every ride our instructors must keep in mind what is going on in the park, whether it is a concert or maybe it is just busy in the park, which sometimes can mean there are members of the public walking or running on the horse sand tracks and so we must keep in mind the safety of all riders as well as other people in the park.

Despite the fact that our horses are very well-behaved, each instructors has their own opinion as to what is the safest course of action for each rider. We would rather err on the side on the side of caution.

I hope that your horse, Bonzo, was a gentleman to ride and that this experience has not put you off possibly coming back to us sometime in the future.

If you have any enquiries or wish to discuss this further, please email in to info@hydeparkstables.com and I would be more than happy to assist you in any way.

Kind regards,

in 3 reviews
"bomb proof"
"skill level"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this experience"
"unique experience"
in 30 reviews
"horses"
in 109 reviews

Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

This was a terrific experience with well behaved horses and great handlers. They can Accommodate Experienced or Novice riders with ease. During the hour long ride we enjoyed seeing the sights throughout Hyde Park and the handler said the Changing of the Guards can also be seen if you book an early morning ride.

Date of experience: July 2018
Chandler N, Front Office Manager at Hyde Park Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your lovely review! We're glad you enjoyed your ride and all the sights Hyde Park has to offer, and that Pie was a gentleman for you as well as Ivan being a gem for your riding partner.

We hope you come back to us soon and enjoy this lovely weather we've been blessed with.

Kind regards,

Chandler N

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Enjoyed a 1 hour trail ride through Hyde Park with my daughter. The stable itself is small, but ever so quaint. The horses are in excellent shape and this is the real deal in terms of English riding. They provide boots and helmets for all riders. They provide excellent, seasoned guides with whom they lead you through Hyde Park. Getting to and from the park is a bit hectic as you go through traffic with cars, but they lead you on the lead rope into the park. For our ride, they did not let go of the lead rope even though my daughter is an accomplished rider. I suspect it is due to the number of pedestrians, bikes, etc.. in the park which can make it hectic for the horses. Very professional stable.

Date of experience: June 2018
3  Thank stkincheloe
Chandler N, Front Office Manager at Hyde Park Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Good morning,

Thank you for this lovely review - we're very glad that you enjoyed your ride around Hyde Park with us and we hope you to see you again in your next visit to London. We're also happy that the two of you enjoyed riding Ivan and Dell. Dell is currently on holiday and enjoyed every moment of it - we expect him to be stubborn coming in from holiday in a few months time!

Regarding your daughter not coming of the lead, she is under 12 years old and unfortunately everyone under the age of 12 year old must always be on the lead for health and safety purposes. For those over 12 years old then park conditions such as weather, how busy it is, and what events are going on in Hyde Park, are taken into consideration when deciding if we should take some off the lead or not. We do apologise if this made the ride less enjoyable for your daughter but we do strive for safety first when riding in such a busy park in Central London, we hope you understand this.

We hope you enjoy the weather in the coming summer months!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful way to spend Easter Sunday morning, riding beautiful horses in Hyde Park. Our guides were lovely and very experienced. Our family of four, with little to no horse back riding experience, really enjoyed this experience and will never forget it. It is a wonderful way to enjoy some of Hyde Park, and do something different! The kids were trotting, and mom and dad enjoyed the nice walk. What a fun experience, definitely unique and a time to remember.

Date of experience: April 2018
3  Thank 915jeanner
Chandler N, Front Office Manager at Hyde Park Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Hi Jeanne,

We're glad you all had so much fun! And that it was such lovely weather for you all as well! We hope you come back soon and look forward to having you back again.

We hope you have a fantastic weekend!

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 January 2018

I went for a private ride a couple of weeks ago with Hyde Park Stable and had the best experience. The stable is very professionally run and the staff is very friendly and competent. If you know your hat and shoe size, fitting with their equipment is quick. The horses and ponies were in nice condition, are fresh in their attitude, and seem happy in their job. I rode out with Sam on Puzzle and even though the weather was crisp with frozen ground, we were able to walk through a lot of the park and even trot a bit off-line on the sandy riding trails. Puzzle was a nice quality traditional cob and quite frankly I wanted to bring him home in my carry-on! I am a very experienced rider, but after seeing the roads and traffic outside and in the park, I was not offended at all to be on a line until we were in the park and my riding could be rated. For safety, it just seemed like common sense to me. A totally excellent experience and the highlight of my first trip to London. Highly recommend.

Date of experience: December 2017
2  Thank kimgcoupons
Chandler N, Front Office Manager at Hyde Park Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your kind words and we are glad that you had such a great experience with us. We're pleased to hear that both Sam and Puzzle were a delight as well and we hope to see you again when you next come to London.

We hope you have a lovely day!