“Good quality food”

Ranked #3,330 of 24,988 Restaurants in London
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve had two meals here. The first was shortly after they opened, and the food was great (although the plates were cold). The second time I went for bites at the bar, also fantastic. Some of the best quality cured meats I’ve had in some time and the Parmesan fries are a must! It’s beautifully decorated too, with lovely ambience.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I dined there after 8:30pm on the recent Bank Holiday Monday night and we were pleasantly surprised that there were many other diners present.
Luca’s location seems off the tourist track and the neighbourhood was quite quiet that evening.

In response to her garlic intolerance, the young Austrian waiter brought a menu marked by the chef with those items that my wife could eat. A simple, but much better method than most for choosing what she could order.

We started with cocktails and Luca’s delicious Parmesan fries. My straight-up, XD Martini was made with a locally produced dry gin that was far more elegant on the nose than my normal Bombay Sapphire.

My wife chose the tartare of Hereford beef while I couldn’t resist the wild garlic with Morel risotto for starters. Both dishes were excellent in taste and presentation.
I selected a modestly priced Sardinian wine from their extensive Italian-centric wine list and the very knowledgeable and approachable sommelier made that experience as pleasurable as the wine was. No pretentiousness is always a positive attitude in my opinion.

My main course was the crisp pork belly. My wife opted for their bitter salad with pear, Gorgonzola and hazelnut dressing as her main as she wasn’t that hungry.
This is a restaurant that really seems to care about the food they serve and the positive attitude of the staff makes the whole dining experience very enjoyable.
There are many restaurant choices in London and Luca is certainly worth a second visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

This restaurant is a rarity. It serves wonderfully cooked fresh food with an Italian essence. My wife and both chose the lamb from Shetland. Beautiful meat. Simply cooked. Why can’t lamb always taste like this?
The other dishes including the pasta were delicious. Normally I’m not a fan of Italian cooking. I don’t like cheese grated over everything masking the taste. But here ingredients were balanced.
Expensive yes but worth every penny.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Very knowledgeable waiting staff selling their product extremely well. The food is good, but not exceptional. Tiny pasta portions (4/5 pieces) for £15. The sommelier recommended a great bottle of white wine, at £80+. Rather sad that a neighbourhood restaurant priced them out of a return visit.

1  Thank Liza B
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

I visited this restaurant yesterday for a business lunch - there were 3 of us and we were given a corner table with soft seating which was nice. We tried the salt cod, scallops and Parmesan fries to start with small plates. All of them were fantastic. We then followed with a pasta course - octopus and the black truffle spaghetti. The latter is one of the best pasta dishes I’ve ever eaten. For main we had lamb chops and monkfish. Both red and white wine - the Barbaresco was very good indeed. Gin and tonic. I will definitely return and the private rooms looked perfect for a larger group. A Michelin star is not far away for Luca I would think..

1  Thank AMiddxTraveller